PDA

View Full Version : 10 man 3 drake os (whelp pickup)

kyrlee
02-23-2009, 07:51 AM
First note we have heroic 3 drake on farm mode but are just now getting into working on the 10 man version.

Currently using 2 tanks and 3 healers (no melee classes for dps) DK on sarth and warrior on adds.

Where my issue with the adds comes in is how to handle the whelps when the waves are timed bad.

No problem if it is a north wave as that leaves the area open for picking up the whelps as they come thru the portal. The problem is when there is a south wave just before or as the whelps come thru or when a void spawns on the portal. When either of those happen they come out and spread all over. I do get them picked up but i don't like them beating on non tanks for that long.

A DK can just pop a death and decay on the portal and not worry about where they go BUT being a warrior I don't have that luxury.

Anyone else out there come up with a solution to this. I am thinking of trying one of the engineering explosive dummies. (but i dont' know if a wave will destroy it or not).

thanks in advance.

Kyrlee

Ray
02-23-2009, 08:07 AM
Use 3 tanks.

or use the DK on adds/drakes.

The only way to reliably pick up the adds is to have an AoE already there (conc or DnD).

We personally went with 3 tanks for the encounter and 2 healers. Even then, I would say a DK or pally is your best choice for the adds. The only other thing I can think of is to have a holy pally conc the portal with RF up and then you can TC + SW them off him.

Thulldar
02-23-2009, 08:43 AM
After a little practice, you should know pretty much exactly when the whelps will pop. It's about 15 seconds after the drake hatches them. Just stay as close as possible to the portal when that happens, riding the edge of any bad flame walls. A thunderclap should catch them all. Make sure you've got the thunderclap glyph to extend its range by 2 yards.

Also, turning on enemy nameplates is a must for this job. The nameplates are visible long before the whelps.

Hope that helps. I've eaten a couple flame walls trying to get this done, but it is possible.

kyrlee
02-23-2009, 09:07 AM
After a little practice, you should know pretty much exactly when the whelps will pop. It's about 15 seconds after the drake hatches them. Just stay as close as possible to the portal when that happens, riding the edge of any bad flame walls. A thunderclap should catch them all. Make sure you've got the thunderclap glyph to extend its range by 2 yards.

Also, turning on enemy nameplates is a must for this job. The nameplates are visible long before the whelps.

Hope that helps. I've eaten a couple flame walls trying to get this done, but it is possible.

yes i definitely use the glyph and i do always have the enemy nameplates on. both are definitely a given.

I may have been waiting to much after the wave passed to go back in. i will try to surf the back of that wave a bit to get back to the portal area quicker. I didn't want to take wave damage but i would rather catch a end tick form that then lose to many whelps.

Murdog
02-23-2009, 10:21 AM
3 tanks and make sure name plates are up i find it helpful once the whelps are up and on you take name plates off so that you can see if any new flame adds pop up and start running off cause with name plates up you might miss them.

Warriors can do this job no problem just be on your toes and it all comes down to practice after that. Ive tanked add/whelps solo in both 10 and 25 man and TClap works just as good as D&D or Consacrate you just have to know when to use it.

Octobersky
02-23-2009, 11:50 AM
For those of you who have tanked the adds, is stacking SBR and SBV the way to go? Here is my current armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Azshara&n=Octobersky)in add spec. I lose about 4k health compared to my main tank set as well as a good chunk of expertise, but I tend to think 41.33% chance to block will be hot when we get back in there tonight for 10 man (my first time on adds).

WTB Wall of Terror though.

Molohk
02-23-2009, 11:57 AM
For those of you who have tanked the adds, is stacking SBR and SBV the way to go? Here is my current armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Azshara&n=Octobersky)in add spec. I lose about 4k health compared to my main tank set as well as a good chunk of expertise, but I tend to think 41.33% chance to block will be hot when we get back in there tonight for 10 man (my first time on adds).

WTB Wall of Terror though.
IMO, there's too much movement to keep the adds in front of you, so the benefit of SBR is kind of limited. SBV is nice for damage shield. 4k health is a lot if you're dealing with the health debuff, but then again I don't know how much into "farm status" is sarth10+3 for you.

Ont
02-23-2009, 12:26 PM
I'd not considered doing this with two tanks before, but now I am most intrigued. My 10 man raid has only downed Sarth+1 and in the past we've used three tanks, three healers. Obviously this gives us insufficient DPS to kill Sarth+3 so we've got to work some things out. The lack of DPS has made Sarth+1 a struggle, even, because the add damage on me (warrior) gets to be pretty extreme with occasionally three sets of whelps and all of the associated fire elementals. We manage +1 reliably but it has to get far better so we can look to adding drakes (obviously).

For Sarth+2, I'm going to transition to two tanks as soon as possible and then to two healers once we get used to the twilight torment. Suffice to say, I'm not confident my healers can keep us up with just two, not right now. As a warrior, I'll be tanking adds/drakes with a Death Knight tanking the big dragon to free up my third tank (either feral druid or a DPS DK) to DPS. The DK is one of my best DPS so I really need to unleash him if possible.

My questions are:
* Where do you tank everything using a two-tank strategy? With three tanks, we move Sartharion to the east end of the island and tank him there.
* Do you use the same positioning, and just move Tenebron to the "Shadron" tanking spot to put yourself near the portals?
* Is there a danger of getting the MT breathed on by Tenebron's breath when you try to grab the whelps?
* How do you handle fire elementals? I'm contemplating the "holy paladin with Righteous Fury" to funnel them to one point where I can taunt them periodically. Very open to other suggestions. :)

kyrlee
02-24-2009, 08:00 AM
For Sarth+2, I'm going to transition to two tanks as soon as possible and then to two healers once we get used to the twilight torment. Suffice to say, I'm not confident my healers can keep us up with just two, not right now. As a warrior, I'll be tanking adds/drakes with a Death Knight tanking the big dragon to free up my third tank (either feral druid or a DPS DK) to DPS. The DK is one of my best DPS so I really need to unleash him if possible.

My questions are:
* Where do you tank everything using a two-tank strategy? With three tanks, we move Sartharion to the east end of the island and tank him there.
* Do you use the same positioning, and just move Tenebron to the "Shadron" tanking spot to put yourself near the portals?
* Is there a danger of getting the MT breathed on by Tenebron's breath when you try to grab the whelps?
* How do you handle fire elementals? I'm contemplating the "holy paladin with Righteous Fury" to funnel them to one point where I can taunt them periodically. Very open to other suggestions. :)

Well we didn't get to go back last night :< but to answer your questions on using 2 tanks. we only used 2 tanks and 2 healers for 2drake 10 man also. But we put the drakes on the sarth tank and then had me on adds. For 2 drakes the first one is down before the 2nd comes so alot more managable. We had a ret pally grab the first fire adds while i brought the drake over for the sarth tank to taunt. I then took over add duty. I also grabed vesp and brought him over to be taunted also but by then only had fire adds to contend with.

Thulldar
02-24-2009, 12:22 PM
A side note on this, the whelps are fear-able. Once you grab them, you can thunderclap -> shockwave -> intimidating shout. They will run around harmlessly and it takes a lot of pressure off your healers.

Brucimus
02-24-2009, 12:27 PM
intimidating shout

yep ...and if you can spec into it you can use Piercing Howl to great effect against them aswell.

I do this job Fury specced in tanking gear with lots of BV and BR...Piercing Howl is really nice

Grondax
02-26-2009, 08:35 AM
My questions are:

I just ran 3 drake 10 man Sarth last night with two tanks. I have to say it's the only actually enjoyable encounter to tank in the game atm. If you check my armory before I spec PvP for the weekend you can see what I use. It's my balanced set that is hit capped with decent expertise, but still strong HP.

Our setup was
Warrior - Drakes / Adds
Druid - Sartharion
Druid - Raid healing
Shaman - Warrior healing
Paladin - Druid Healing
Hunter (sv) / rogue / warrior / paladin / warlock - DPS

Sartharion is tanked in the normal spot all the way in the front where you buff up, but still on the main island. I move the first drake immediately to the portal spawn point and point him south. I tank him there until he is dead and the whelp spawns are dead. I tank drake 2 and 3 at the third drake spawn and don't move until all drakes are dead.

The hardest part of the fight is not getting people breathed. With our positioning I don't think the MT has ever been in range of a breath, but I have nailed pretty much the entire raid at one point or another when they decided to fly behind me. It just takes good positioning and knowledge of how they move to keep the raid safe from breaths.

The whelps are easy once you get used to them. If you have a class like a hunter that can put a freezing trap down it gives you a little extra breathing room. If you know your distances well you can challenging shout after your initial threat rotation to pick up anything you missed.

For fire elementals I just tank in a position I can get most with TC until we're on drake 2/3. At that point (and for the rare add spawn far away) I just change target and taunt it.

That should answer all your questions. For my own personal advice there is one thing you need to be concerned about above all else, and that is threat. Not to sound arrogant, but if you ever have threat problems you might want to bring in a 3rd tank. I'm normally up by at least 60k threat on the first drake when the whelps and second drake are coming down. This lets me do other things, because I know I'll hold him until he dies. Considering the dps my 10 man group brings that level of threat is a tall order.

getefix
02-26-2009, 12:43 PM
The whelps are easy once you get used to them. If you have a class like a hunter that can put a freezing trap down it gives you a little extra breathing room. If you know your distances well you can challenging shout after your initial threat rotation to pick up anything you missed.

For fire elementals I just tank in a position I can get most with TC until we're on drake 2/3. At that point (and for the rare add spawn far away) I just change target and taunt it.

Doesn't this put the fire adds at risk of getting hit by the flame wall? I've never tanked them in the middle but i would think that being able to let the fire adds move quickly is helpful with keeping them out of the flame wall.

Grondax
02-26-2009, 01:18 PM
Doesn't this put the fire adds at risk of getting hit by the flame wall? I've never tanked them in the middle but i would think that being able to let the fire adds move quickly is helpful with keeping them out of the flame wall.

The only time I have more then two fire adds up (three at the most) is when dps drops down in the portal after the drakes are all dead. If one gets enraged our hunter just pings it, and the problem is solved. Truthfully given how fast they die I'm more worried of them getting enraged when they spawn in a bad place right before a fire wall.

dawnrose
03-05-2009, 03:52 AM
In my guild, we used 3 tanks and 2 healers and a voidwalker tanking the boss. Warrior was on gathering add/whelp duty, paladin tank taunted the mobs off the warrior and tanked all the adds & whelps. When Tenebron was down, the warrior who was picking up the adds and whelps went to Vesperon spawn point to pick him up.
The third tank, who was a druid tanked the first two drakes. After shadron was dead, he helped a bit with the adds. After Vesperon was down, he went to the boss and took over the voidwalker's job til the boss was down.

Grishnaz
03-05-2009, 11:07 AM
Also having a few problems picking up all the whelps/lavas especially when they spawn in 2 different directions+ fucky placed/timed void zones+flame walls, have a specific question though, is it safe to use army of the dead on add duty? Or will they taunt the drakes? Really not sure what type of mob the drakes are. Thanks for any answers

Muffin Man
03-05-2009, 05:38 PM
Drakes are boss mobs so if you want to unleash the ghouls on the adds I guess you can? But if they grab any blazes at a bad time you're gonna have some enraged blazes. Plus the whelps would probably melt the ghouls pretty fast anyways.

On doing this with 2 tanks, I've always wondered if this would work:
Hunters MD's Warrior
Hunter Volley's Whelps
Hunter FD's next to Warrior

I'm not sure how Volley works with MD, I'm assuming that part but not all of the attacks are 'credited' to the MD target hence the FD.

Saskwatch
03-12-2009, 09:02 AM
We are currently working on os 2 drakes, and we've been trying with three tanks, and dps barely get the first dragon down before the second (whelp one and damaging aura one, sorry don't remember names)

We then tried to get he warrior tank to pick up the whelps before they attacked me (druid healer) which proved to be unsuccessful. Warrior was tanking the drakes to the east of the island, sort of in the middle and tried to AoE taunt as soon as they exited the portal... failed all the attempts

We are thinking of getting a pally tank for the drakes/adds and tank him in the middle of the field (where the portal spawns whelps). Is that a good idea?

I'm just curious also, about what dps should each person do for 3drakes 10 man if you have 5 dps (3 tanks/2heals or 2tanks/3heals)?

Balutix
03-12-2009, 09:39 AM
on the sarth 2d we used 2tanks (DK / war) and 2 healers (pala-shaman) and we had a rogue with tricks of the trade getting the whelps onto our dk tank that was tanking the dragons.. i (prot war) tanked sarth.