View Full Version : Frost spec DK tank
02-22-2009, 02:22 PM
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Feathermoon&n=Garen)
I have only been playing WoW for a few months, and now that I'm level 80 I need some help in order to get my frost DK able to tank heroics. I've tried a few and seem to have a hard time holding aggro. Using a rotation of DnD, IT, PS, Pest, HB.
I am wondering the following:
1. How should I (if need be) change my talent tree?
2. Is it necessary to have defense at 563? or should I lower it by chaning out some gems in order to get parry/dodge up?
3. What would be some good glyphs to use?
4. What would be the best sigil to use?
Any advice is greatly appreciated as I am new to the game and don't have much experience, thanks all.
02-23-2009, 10:07 AM
1. Your talent tree is perfect, in fact it's the exact talent tree that is posted here: http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f175/45865-dk-tank-frost-build-questions.html
If you have not read the thread it covers rotations very breifly.
2. 563 defense isn't necessary but every bit helps your avoidance and the effectiveness of IBF. You don't have any gems to replace but your gems should definitely be changed. First replace the SP/Hit gem in your legs to either Regal Twilight Opal - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40031) or Guardian's Twilight Opal - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40034). Spell power does nothing for Death Knights... don't gem or chant it. I would also replace the resilience gem with Solid Sky Sapphire - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40008). Your defense will naturally drop when you start to replace some of the high defense rating blues you have now with naxx gear.
3. Glyphs are also listed in the above thread.
4. The best sigil for you right now is Sigil of the Unfaltering Knight - Thottbot: World of Warcraft (http://thottbot.com/i40714). When you feel more comfortable with survivability you can upgrade to a DPS Sigil.
02-24-2009, 06:01 AM
Your talent build looks excellent. I opted for Anhilation, but have been considering respeccing and taking that out. As well, I have Improved Icy Talons, for raids. My current spec is the same I used for Heroics when I first started, except some minor changes.
Have you considered using Blood Boil? It's an AoE attack, like Howling Blast, but only consumes a Blood rune, which goes perfectly with Howling Blast.
As well, stupid question: are you in Frost Presence? From what I can see, you are in gear similar to when I started tanking, and I had no trouble with agro, except from 3k DPS Warlocks, who liked targeting unmarked trash mobs.
Your talent tree should not be causing any Threat problems. My typical rotation goes: DnD, Icy Strike, Plague Strike, Pestielence, (wait), Howling Blast, Blood Boil, Blood Boil, Howling Blast, Icy Strike, Pestilence, Howling Blast...
As well, using Rune Strike whenever it procs and I have the Rune Power. Consider making a macro to use Runic Strike as often as you can
#showtooltip Howling Blast
/cast Howling Blast
/cast Rune Strike
This macro should have you use Howling Blast, that you should be spamming, and, if Rune Strike is ready, it'll use it on your next strike. Consider replacing your whole rotation, with macros similar to this (Icy Strike, Pest, Blood Boil, etc.)
As well, what glyphs are you using? Consider using a DnD glyph, for increase damage and threat. My major glyphs are Ice Bound Fortitude, DnD, and Blood Boil.
02-25-2009, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the tips guys, I've successfully tanked multiple heroics without epic fails :) I'm able to hold aggro much better now, seems to be working out for me. Appreciate the advice!
07-07-2010, 07:46 AM
OK so i just wanted to know the correct Frost Dk DW spec as of patch 3.3.5 or 3.3.3, i had what i belive was the correct one but i respeced for my guild so i could run ulduar as a dps, i also do not have my tank gear on in armory, i would like a link or an explanation of a Correct Talent Tree... Ty :)
I don't want to know why you dug this thread up but your gems and one enchant is so bad I'm crying and thinking about deleting my DK so I won't be associated with stereotypes of DKs like you.
But here is the basic trees with the last few points given to preference.