PDA

View Full Version : Gear check: Naxx 10 MT/OT (Frost DK)

Gilean82
02-21-2009, 04:26 PM
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Moon+Guard&n=Miren

Hello all. I have been tanking heroics for about a week and slowly picking up upgrades for a DK tank. The Azjol trinket has thus far refused to drop and my bracers and possibly ring(s) are in need of upgrades as well. Currently in Frost Presence she is sitting at 26,393 health and a shade over 27,000 armor unbuffed.

After speaking with a warrior tank-friend, I am a little confused as to the requirements to start tanking Naxx10. The 540 defense and as much health as you can muster are fairly obvious, however I was told that a 50% total avoidance rate is required. Being a little over the defense cap, I calculated that I would have 5.6% miss + (19.29 - 0.48% parry) + (15.5 - 0.48% dodge) + 5% = 44.43%. Is the 50% an upper bound mark for the Construct, Military and/or Sapphiron-Kel'thuzad or a requirement for entry level?

Secondly, I was told that a 2h weapon is not optimal for tanking because it would limit the amount of parries (because of the slow speed) versus dual weilding and give a large drop in avoidance. Dual weilding was something that I had considered once I was able to maintain the required 164 hit, expertise and my normal tanking stats - am I going to be gimping myself by using a 2h at this time?

Any sort of advice on spec, gear or gemming would be greatly appreciated if something is out of whack with the remainder of my gear that I haven't touched on. Thanks!

slashtankadin
02-21-2009, 04:53 PM
has long as you got 540 def and a nice amount of health get in there and start haveing some fun raiding, when i first went to naxx i went with a DK we were all just able to get in there. hehe and the DK wasnt even def capped lol yes parry and dodge will be handy but you will get more of that with the gear upgrades down the line, i have got my pallly in 25-man now and happy with his progression and now in my spare time im lvling my frost DK for tanking and from what i have leanred from DK tank friends is that dodge and parry is what you should gem for dule weilding is the best for a DK tank i have it no on my 63 DK lol, but like i said m8 get in there and start gearing up and haveing fun with your guildys

light316
02-21-2009, 04:57 PM
I have a warrior that i tank Nax with all the time and when i started tanking nax i had 24k health and may 45 avoidance i say health is more important then avoidance some MTs that i know still dont have that much avoidance if you seating at the advodance your saying and the health you should be fine to OT Nax. dispite what some people say you dont need to be fully epiced out tank Nax

Vodai
02-21-2009, 05:43 PM
Blade Barrier is another 10% parry, so you're spec and gear look ok for all of Naxx 10, but be sure to get you're enchants first. Shoulders, bracers, hands all could use some love. Your AP trinket should get replaced by the 2% dodge heroic emblem trinket as well. The 2H that you have is perfectly fine, so I wouldn't try DW unless you are a serious theorycrafter. Be sure to watch all the videos here that you can, big help!

Gilean82
02-21-2009, 06:25 PM
I am currently working on Sons of Hodir rep for the shoulder enchant and waiting for my Bracers of Dark Will / Bracers of the Herald to drop, along with getting the rep going for my Fireproven Gauntlets before dropping the money on enchants.

Currently I've healed through all of Heroic Naxx and am looking to help out my other guild raid on my off nights. I suppose I will just have to throw myself in and worry about the DW thing for when I have Slayer of the Lifeless.

Thanks again for all the replies!

slashtankadin
02-23-2009, 02:09 AM
If your going to DW when you get the salyer allso do some UP(HC) runs so you can get the sword from there all so makes a nice DW combo, and rember to get your threat higher with frost spec HIT and EXP will help you alot!!

VerticalEvent
02-24-2009, 05:32 AM
If you have the extra gold, might I recomend spamming your trade channel for Bracers of Dalaran's Parapets. These cost 60 Emblems of Valor, but are BoE, which means you can pay someone to buy them (I paid 2000g for mine). Defintley a good upgrade.

Consider buying your Heroic Chest and gloves. At 80 and 60 Emblems of Hero respectively, would be a good upgrade to what you have now.

A Titanium Earthguard ring should be bought/crafted to replace the Staunch Signet.

Also, consider getting some enchants. When you get a new pair of bracers (perferbly the ones I recomend), get the +40 Stam on them, which are steep, at the cost of 5 Abyss Crystals.

Don't worry about Defense for the next little bit. You are 9 over the cap (about 45 Defense Rating), which should give you plenty of room to work with in getting more HP and Avoidiance.

While 50% avoidance isn't required, it does help. Damage not done, is damage that doesn't need to be healed. When going toe to toe with Patchwerk and his hatfeul strikes, it's better to not take the hit, then to take the HP losss. Luckily for you, you have more then avoidance, according to your friend.
21 Dodge + 13 Parry + 10 Blade Barrier + 3 Frigid Plate + 5 Natural Miss = 52% Avoidance. I would look into getting parry a little higher, but parry does have a higher diminishing return rate then Dodge.

bloodomen
02-24-2009, 05:51 AM
Personally on my server, since patch 3.0.8 most if not all DK tanks have moved away from DW tanking, I personally prefer 2H over duel wielding just because it is my personal preference
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://us.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=frostmane&n=bloodomen)

pretty much anyway you tank is feasible as a DK, some like Frost DW, some like Unholy, and still others like Blood.
I advise if your gunna stack any stat for tanking, go for dodge>parry.