PDA

View Full Version : Unholy DK Tank fine tuning.

Sekular
02-21-2009, 11:58 AM
Here is my armory link (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lothar&n=Sekular)

I am trying to decide on what gems to use at the moment.

I am at 28k unbuffed and was wondering if I should go STR/STam or Dodge/Parry or maybe a combo or in an entirely different direction.

I am using the stoneskin gargoyle rune on my TD presently. Would it be worth gemming def to change to the parry rune, or another all together?

I would also be interested in any build or item suggestions. I recently went with this spec for more single target threat for 25 man raid tanking. I am not my guilds MT but aoe threat hasn't seemed to be an important role for me lately.

Any advice is welcome, thanks in advance.

Taoden
02-21-2009, 09:35 PM
First of all, you never want to gem parry rating on a DK. Strength gets converted to parry rating and not a parry percentage. Because diminishing returns, DKs gain very little from additional parry rating. If you really want avoidance, go with dodge/stam or defense/stam.

If threat is your primary concern, str/stam is your best choice for gems.

I personally was reluctant to use stoneskin gargoyle when it was first introduced because I was already comfortably over the defense minimum. However, the rune trades exactly 1% avoidance for 2% stamina, this trade is an upgrade in nearly any situation. More importantly, the amount of flexibility that the rune allows on your other gear makes it the #1 choice for me. On my paladin I have to consider regemming or changing my blocking trinket (used for threat and "uncrushable") out for the defense trinket from HoL almost every time I get a new piece of gear. On my DK, this simply isn't ever an issue and I can gem how I want, and not how I must.

My biggest suggestion to you is to enchant the rest of your gear (and do Tuskar's or +22 stam on your boots) and replace the uncommon gems with rare gems.

Fonziefabio
02-21-2009, 10:05 PM
Hit cap is only 8% (or 262 rating I believe). You have too much hit and not enough expertise. Any hit over 8% is wasted rating. Your avoidance is enough to get you through any of the current content (Sarth with drakes up being the exception, not the rule of course). First thing I would work on personally is getting your expertise to 26. For 33 rating in expertise, you gain 2% to hit with your melee abilities up to 26 skill. So 26 expertise is a must, plus it helps to keep you from getting parried, which in turn results in less damage dealt to you.

Esch
02-21-2009, 10:37 PM
I second the suggestion to upgrade your gems, but I would favor the def/stamina gem myself. Ideally, you want to reach a point where your weapon is irrelavent to maintaining the 540 defense, as it allows you to runeforge the best weapon as you want. For example, my main tanking weapon has Swordshattering (4% parry), etc.

Note I favor SS partly as I my health is decent (almost 31k unbuffed) but also the parry haste effect after parrying can help with threat by increasing the number of Runestrikes that can be generated. All in all, the two runeforges are about equal - if you don't need the 25 Defense of RotSG.

Vodai
02-22-2009, 12:06 AM
You're looking pretty decent. Same as above, max out your gems. Also, since you mentioned single target threat:

Bracers : Expertise Enchant
Gloves : Expertise Enchant (personal opinion, but 2% might be better for you with Norgannon).
Boots : 22 Stam Enchant, or Icewalker if you're health is good.

Sekular
02-22-2009, 01:26 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. How much expertise is needed to hit the cap? With my gear presently is it possible to gem and enchant my way there?

Furthermore, once I am defense, hit and expertise capped. Whats my next most important thing? Str/Stam or avoidance like dodge? I've read on here that parry doesn't give a DK the same gains and that points are better spent elsewhere.

I got Norgannon for the sole purpose of giving myself some expertise and it has actually worked in my favor for boss mobs, using it's cool down the haste and Valor of the first war for dodge I am getting a large head start on threat.

Sekular
02-22-2009, 01:30 PM
I second the suggestion to upgrade your gems, but I would favor the def/stamina gem myself. Ideally, you want to reach a point where your weapon is irrelavent to maintaining the 540 defense, as it allows you to runeforge the best weapon as you want. For example, my main tanking weapon has Swordshattering (4% parry), etc.

Note I favor SS partly as I my health is decent (almost 31k unbuffed) but also the parry haste effect after parrying can help with threat by increasing the number of Runestrikes that can be generated. All in all, the two runeforges are about equal - if you don't need the 25 Defense of RotSG.

Ive thought about that as well. Here is what I have been concerned with though. However I felt that to get the defense cap without RotSG would mean I would be putting on lesser quality items with high def and low avoidance.