PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Advise

Stanfield
02-20-2009, 12:05 PM
I am a level 80 Tank but fairly new to running instances as I progressed up thru quests. I have not spent much time at all in dungeons. My problem is holding aggro with: a. Multiple mobs and b. Party members with high DPS. Quite often i lose aggro and we end up wiping. Any help/advise would be greatly appreciated.

Standar

bloodomen
02-20-2009, 12:13 PM
mind posting an armory.

Thanks

veneretio
02-20-2009, 12:20 PM
1. Multiple Mobs

Tanking Multiple mobs is all about Clustering. Basically, you need to learn every pull in an instance and determine which mobs are stationary (usually casters) and which will move around. Always go towards the stationary mobs and the movable ones will naturally follow. (when you get a better handle on things, you can start moving casters with Shield Bash and Heroic Throw)

Once you've got a Cluster, Thunder Clap is your best 1st move. Shockwave should then follow. (note: due to the cone-type attack of Shockwave make sure to back up a little bit just before using it) After Shockwave, you can Shield Slam or Revenge your primary focus target (often marked with a Skull) until Thunder Clap comes off of cooldown. If you've got a lot of rage, Cleave can be used to help.

If things get out of control, don't be afraid to use Challenging Shout.

2. Single Target Threat vs High DPS

Spec into Vigilance and make sure to put it on the highest DPS. Your basic rotation is as follows:

(a) Shield Slam then Revenge then Devastate twice

Sword and Board will proc free Shield Slams occasionally so, you'll want to treat this less like a rotation and more like the following priority system:

(b) Shield Slam > Revenge > Devastate

When you get a really good handle on that you'll be able to add both Concussion Blow and Shockwave to your single target priority system making the following:

(c) Shield Slam > Revenge > Concussion Blow > Shockwave > Devastate

It's a long chain for single target damage, but you'll get used to it in time. Hope that helps, feel free to ask a little bit more specific questions if you don't feel like this addresses your concerns.