PDA

View Full Version : Sarth 3D Adds tank - doable by 1 prot warrior?

Lune
02-19-2009, 08:45 PM
I feel like im a prety decent player, but im having problems with Sarth 3D-25 as the only add tank. I dont have a problem in the begining but its when the welps pop that i start to loose one or so. I put on my BV set, I even respecd to snag Piercing Howl + Imp Cleave and utilized the cleave glyph but to no avail. When my screen is littered with so many adds its hard to tell when new ones pop. Any suggestions? :(

hvidgaard
02-20-2009, 12:33 AM
I don't know what strategy your group uses, but if you don't use a holy paladin with RF up, then it can help a great deal. (S)he will pull aggro from the adds and if you stand on top of him you should turn them from him with a simple thunderclap.

Gnurken
02-20-2009, 12:59 AM
After tanking Sartharion in 3drake all the time we just started to rotate around the tanking. So another prot warr took Sarth, the pally took the 3 drakes and I as prot warr took the fire adds and whelps. First couple tries it felt very hectic but got it under control, think we got the kill on 5th or maybe 6th pull, which for us is good :)

What you do is, don't respec. Forget about cleave. I don't even have the sunder armor glyph any more for the secondary target sunder. Put vigilance on the tank that handles Sartharion. That way you have taunt cooldown up all the time.
We use a RF holy pally but it's not instant, takes some seconds before the adds go for her. Felt like the healing shamans always got aggro first.

Then you just focus on taunting loose ones, thunderclap, maybe a devastate. When you get the whelps, thunderclap, shockwave wait for thunderclap to be up again and then call for aoe to kill them. Be careful with targeting so you don't taunt the drake(s) or Sartharion.

Once the adds are in melee range of you, thunderclap every 6sec and the damageshield holds aggro fine. Use shockwave on cooldown too.

Worked fine, not much loose stuff and it was much more fun than tanking Sartharion.

Kiyoka
02-20-2009, 03:02 AM
What you do is, don't respec. Forget about cleave. I don't even have the sunder armor glyph any more for the secondary target sunder. Put vigilance on the tank that handles Sartharion. That way you have taunt cooldown up all the time.

This. Having taunt up all the time is huge when tanking adds on sarth. It doesn't take too long to aoe down the adds so if someone pulls agro on a few just Shockwave or stun them and by the time the stun is up they should be dead or close to it.

Are you getting 1 or 2 waves of whelps? If you're getting 2 then you might want your aoe to hold off until you actually grab the 2nd wave and have a good amount of agro on them.

Magnuss
02-20-2009, 08:28 AM
For targeting purposes you will also want to have your Enemy Bars visible on your screen (default V key) so that you can clearly see each and every health bar of the adds you are tanking. I personally look straight down on the map and zoom my camera all the way and out and then just move back and forth looking for a new health bar to spawn somewhere. Make sure you dont shockwave right before a churn, and makes sure you have TC AND shockwave up when whelps are about to spawn. You dont want to be waiting on that cooldown for those suckers.

Gnurken
02-20-2009, 10:28 AM
Tried with nameplates on, it's ok until whelps spawn, then it's nameplats everywhere and it was very messy.

Squashed
02-20-2009, 01:05 PM
Last night I figured out that its easiast to tell when the whelps spawn by doing this....If you are the closest to the portal when they spawn, you will be targeted initially. Then as soon as a heal lands (resto druids, ouch) you get spammed by the 'changed target!' warning - thats when they all popped up. I like the idea of a holy pal with RF up to help concentrate any new spawns (instead of hitting the priest or the druid, plus holy pals are immune to pushback).

I found it helpful to have the health bars up sometimes, and off others.

Nez
02-20-2009, 01:07 PM
Vigilance on the druid healing me seemed to help a bit also when picking up whelps and keeping them off of her. But thats a trade off from having a "always on" taunt by putting it on the sarth tank.

Lune
02-20-2009, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the responses :) I do have vigilance on my druid MT, but it seemed my taunt would not refresh as much as I expected. Perhaps he has ungodly dodge or something. Being close to the portal when the welps spawn is a good idea, i should try that. The holy pally with RF is pure genious. We our dps is pretty slow too, I had 2 waves of welps and thats pretty much when i tended to start losing things. Thanks for the advice!

Hamburglar
02-20-2009, 05:03 PM
It is doable but having a pally healer glued to your hip with RF up is a huge help. The ugliest situation that can occur is a lava wave coming across Tenebron's portal just as the whelps spawn. If you have to move away from the portal and can't thunderclap them there's a high chance they're gonna go nuts on at least one healer before the wave is done.