PDA

View Full Version : Unholy DK Tank - What Next?

Horaxe
02-19-2009, 10:07 AM
My guild's finished 10 Man Naxx and OS. Right now, I've been eating extra Defense and Stamina past 30K in favor of Hit. Speaking as a tank should I be worried more about hit or expertise? And how much is enough? Here's my armory profile

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Bloodscalp&n=Khaas)

What should I be working on right now?

Inaara
02-19-2009, 10:17 AM
Expertise to at least 26 to knock dodge off the table and reducing parry by 6.5% as well. As Unholy I would definetely continue to stack Expertise over Hit. If you were running a frost HB build then hit would definetely be more useful.

Esch
02-19-2009, 10:36 AM
I am curious where you draw the need for Hit > expertise, given Unholy's 'magic' aspect, or is it 'just good gearing', Inaara? I've been more concerned with hit at this point, given my role as an AoE tank, but I've not had significant issues with expertise. I'm holding at 5.25% atm, from my focus on other stats.

Inaara
02-19-2009, 10:52 AM
I'm not sure if you meant to say that I value Expertise > Hit but here is the reason. Until you soft cap expertise at 26 it is netting you a 2% reduction for your chance to "miss" the boss via parry or dodge. That's a 2% reduction for every 1% you put in. You will not find a better return on any stat. After you reach 26 you are still getting 1% reduction to parry Vs. 1% reduced chance to miss the boss. Being parried by a boss is more detrimental than missing him/her.

When tanking a boss as Unholy the only spells that you have to worry about missing is DC and IT. SS is a physical attack and along with every other physical attack should be capped at 8% hit.

For AoE tanking, between your diseases with Wandering plague, DnD, Pest, BB, UB and CE hit really isn't an issue and Unholy DK's are providing the best AoE threat numbers out there.

Fonziefabio
02-19-2009, 11:29 AM
In my opinion, after the soft cap for expertise you want to get your hit to 8%. The reason is rune strike. At least for me as an unholy tank, rune strike is my biggest aggro source. Rune strike can't be dodged or parried, but it can miss.

In the current content, getting parry gibbed isn't a very big issue. So to me, the concern is less about getting parried and more about holding aggro. However, this very well could change with future content.

Vodai
02-19-2009, 12:28 PM
WoW Web Stats are great for this, run a report on yourself and go to your damage, click on columns and change 'All Miss' to 'Miss'. If you still see percentages there, you're giving up damage and threat. I do the same as you, once I hit 30k, I started gearing for expertise to 26 then hit to 8%. This will easily get you through all normal heroic content. Hard mode stuff like 3DS obviously requires special tailoring.