PDA

View Full Version : Frost DK Tank, Any possible changes?

Nnoitra/Jake
02-18-2009, 12:13 AM
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Mal%27Ganis&n=Lokokos)

I realize my bracers are terrible, trying to get emblems or at least the trash bracer drop in 10 man Naxx >.<

More worried about my trinkets and such.

Thanks,
Loko of Mal'Ganis

Hexen
02-18-2009, 12:34 AM
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Mal%27Ganis&n=Lokokos)

I realize my bracers are terrible, trying to get emblems or at least the trash bracer drop in 10 man Naxx >.<

More worried about my trinkets and such.

Thanks,
Loko of Mal'Ganis

you know, the bracers of the herald aren't bad at all, if you put +15 EXPertise or +40 STA on them..

Shallista
02-18-2009, 07:05 AM
Hi Nnoitra,

Just a few things I saw.

1) Keep grinding away for Exalted Sons of Hodir shoulder enchant!
2) I recommend getting the Armsman enchant for your gloves. It's a personal choice of mine, I like the added threat and parry rating.
3) Get "Greater Fortitude" enchant for your boots.
4) Like Hexen said, get expertise or +40 stamina for your bracers.
5) You still don't have your DEF capped. You could probably switch out some gems. Alternatively, you could get the titanweave enchant for cloak.
6) You might want to regem for higher hit rating. Losing just a "little" parry rating shouldn't hurt, since you got blade barrier spec. 8% is the cap.

Ataenksic
02-18-2009, 09:01 AM
You still don't have your DEF capped.

Via the sigil he or she actually is defense capped.

AK404
02-18-2009, 11:01 AM
Via the sigil he or she actually is defense capped.
This is true. However, if a DK is silenced for even 10 seconds and can't get IT up, then they have a chance to have a critical hit land on them. It's far more logical to get an unfailing 540 defense rather than one that can fail at a most inopportune moment. It's a one-in-a-hundred chance, but it's still more than the 0% chance that 540 defense sans Sigil offers.

However, if he's still tanking for heroics, then 535 defense is just peachy keen. My suggestion would be to stop skimping on the enchants: get the defense enchants on the cloak (+16) and chest (+22), armsman on the gloves, put +40 stamina on the bracers (or the TBC +12 defense enchant if starved for defense, which you should not be), Tuskarr's Vitality on the boots, then work on the Sons of Hodir rep for the shoulder enchants.

I'm not exactly sure how the bonus to Jewelcrafting works, but socketing for Defense Rating would be a good idea, since lowering your chance to be crit is a higher priority than high Stamina.

On a second glance, I couldn't help but notice that your mining is at 102. When you get the time, go out and mine ASAP, if for no other reason than the 50 Stamina that capped Mining offers.

TheYanger
02-18-2009, 07:45 PM
If a boss that silences for 30 seconds straight ever comes into the game, that may be an important point. For now though, that's kind of a pointless argument.

Nnoitra/Jake
02-18-2009, 09:52 PM
I just picked up mining a couple days ago over Eng. so I'm omw to leveling that.

I got all the suggested enchants and my def should be right around 540 without the sigil maybe a point under, but the sigil is ALWAYS up.

And should be exalted with Sons in a couple days.

Anything else XD

PS
Thank you very much :D

AK404
02-19-2009, 02:17 AM
If a boss that silences for 30 seconds straight ever comes into the game, that may be an important point. For now though, that's kind of a pointless argument.
This is true. However, when you consider the alternatives to the Sigil of the Unfaltering Knight, you find a lot of damage-boosting items that you can't duplicate on other slots: massive damage boosts to Icy Touch, Death Coil, Scourge Strike, and Obliterate, buffs that make your Plague Strike more useful, sigils that boost your critical hit percentages, etc.

I consider the SotUK to be a Cliffs-Notes version of Defense Rating: it's nice to have when you don't have the capability to shoulder 540 defense on your own, but you seriously want to drop it as soon as possible in favor of something else. The only use I could possibly think of to use it post-540 is buff up IBF, something I'll never do, but is perfectly acceptable in my book.

For example, a personal favorite of mine is the Sigil of the Frozen Conscience (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40822) because, in a single item slot, it boosts the damage of my Icy Touch far higher than I could using pure AP-boosting items that could be used for other things...like defense gems, defense items, dodge, stamina, whatever. More damage in a single shot = more threat in a single shot. More threat in a single shot = less work I have to do to keep up with the threat generation of my healers and DPS. Also, the mob dies faster because I'm doing more damage in addition to building more threat. This means the DPS and heals are in less danger of catching up to my threat because by the time that's already happened, the mobs are dead.

Now, I'm not a raid-worthy tank by any measure (Hell, I still have issues with some heroic bosses), but if given the choice between an item that offers me something that I can get somewhere else and an item that gives me a unique buff that will potentially raise my TPS and DPS at the same time, guess which one I'm going to go for?