PDA

View Full Version : Our awesome guild recruitment tool needs beta help

DOTAMONSTER
02-17-2009, 04:38 PM
Hello Tankspot -

I'm working with 4 other gamers developing a recruitment feature for WoW. Guild leaders that are looking to recruit can post their open positions on the site and people looking for guilds can use us to search for a potential guild. What makes us unique is that we created a recommendation engine which we could feed highly qualified candidates to guild leaders using personality metrics.

We're going into beta in about a week and are looking for people to try out our tool. If you're interested, please sign-up here: http://beta.mygamemug.com

If you have any questions just let me know. I'll be checking the TS forum daily as well as this thread. You can also reach out to me on Twitter (Twitter / darrenallarde (http://www.twitter.com/darrenallarde)) or e-mail (darren@mygamemug.com).

I'd love to hear your thoughts on our guild recruitment idea. Also, if you're a guild master, I'd love to talk to you about how you manage your guild.

Really hoping you guys can help out.

lorelye
02-18-2009, 06:31 AM
I entered an email but nothing happened yet.

One of the things I'd like to see is a site that allows players to search by raid days and times, and by achievements such as The Immortal, or 3 Drakes. I could think of a few more offhand. Perhaps a 1-10 scale of how much the raid leader resembles a boot camp sergeant, etc. Most applicants just see the 10 most recent posts in those sites.

I notice that many players apply to the wrong guilds simply because they are not expert in guild shopping. I even keep a list of other guilds to give to applicants who don't belong in my guild, for example when they say they can only make 2 of our raid days. The problem is not so much that leaders need to find applicants (have plenty), as that applicants need a better way to search for a correct match, especially on times.

Ariedan
02-18-2009, 09:04 AM
I've spoken with Darren at length, and it seems what they're working on has a lot of potential to be a very helpful future recruiting tool. If any of you have a spare moment, please sign up for the beta at the least. Using personality metrics is usually a last priority for recruiting tools; for guilds that recruit mostly based on personality, I'd be excited to see a successful tool that does.

I would also like to agree with Lorlye, as he/she brings up a very valid opinion most recruiters share. We need to know more than how much spell power a player has before deciding whether or not applying to your guild would be a waste of your and his/her time.

DOTAMONSTER
02-18-2009, 10:18 AM
I entered an email but nothing happened yet.

One of the things I'd like to see is a site that allows players to search by raid days and times, and by achievements such as The Immortal, or 3 Drakes. I could think of a few more offhand. Perhaps a 1-10 scale of how much the raid leader resembles a boot camp sergeant, etc. Most applicants just see the 10 most recent posts in those sites.

I notice that many players apply to the wrong guilds simply because they are not expert in guild shopping. I even keep a list of other guilds to give to applicants who don't belong in my guild, for example when they say they can only make 2 of our raid days. The problem is not so much that leaders need to find applicants (have plenty), as that applicants need a better way to search for a correct match, especially on times.

Wah! That's strange. No confirmation after entering your e-mail? Should have received a Thank You. If you PM me your e-mail addy, I can double check to make sure that you successfully registered.

Great suggestions. We'll be fulfilling some of the suggestions you recommended. Clarification on searching by achievements - Are you expecting guild leaders to list the types of achievements that they've already accomplished or plan to accomplish - perhaps both?

I'm also wondering about your list of people who don't belong in your guild. Is it because you didn't get along with them, they couldn't make raid times, poor skill level, etc?

lorelye
02-18-2009, 11:44 AM
I say Achievements only because Blizzard, in some cases, integrated these with progression. Applicant says to himself, I want a new guild but, they should have Malygos down, 2 or 3 Drakes down and Naxx cleared. (I'd consider it my responsibility as GL to keep that info up to date for my guild.)

As for "planned" achievements, nobody cares what our plans are, only what we have done.

Another criteria for choosing a guild could be when that guild was established. Many applicants do not want a brand new guild.

I also hear from applicants: concern over how many level 80 chars we already have, and whether they're going to be benched after the xfer (apparently it is common to recruit people to bench them). Raiders want to raid. GLs should make available the info of how many full-time raiders are in their guild.

As for me personally, I reject about 90% of applicants.

Pre-screened rejections from the application include people who can't make all the raid times or can't put together a coherent sentence or are too concerned about loot. ("I want to join your guild so I can get my T7".)
We also pre-screen applicants by reading all their achievements, gear, and reputation. We weigh in heavily for the over 30 crowd, although I don't strictly eliminate people for being young... Age is a factor for some applicants too.

I then do a vent interview in which approximately half of the remaining candidates will eliminate themselves, as unable to abide by our etiquette, which is strict.

Any of that help? You'd think it was a common method, but I hear from apps that it's not. <shrug>

DOTAMONSTER
02-18-2009, 01:49 PM
Yes. This was VERY helpful.

If you can think of anything useful for us to consider, please let me know.