PDA

View Full Version : Prot Paladin

Morionso
02-17-2009, 02:47 PM
Would like some input on my Spec and gear. I would like to mention thou that I picked up Kings and Imp Kings as my guild has maybe 2 or 3 raiding pallys including me with kings. Looking for suggestions to get EoE and Uldar Geared please

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Moonrunner&n=Morionso)

Thank you in advance

Niian
02-17-2009, 06:07 PM
Tempered Titansteel Helm is now better than Ground tremor/Arcane shielded due to it getting a Meta+normal gem.

Other than your helm everything else is fine for Naxx25 and higher!
Your next upgrades will be from either 25 OS, EoE or Naxx, so there's really not much else you can improve on.

Morionso
02-18-2009, 12:22 PM
ok...tyvm for ure input...if anyone else wants to make any comment then plz let me know

headknocker
02-18-2009, 01:39 PM
I'd invest more in defense and raw avoidance. You've stacked a ton of stam, but your parry/block is pretty low (dodge is sort of ok). I'd use the stam boost from the titansteel and use that for some breathing room to swap some gems and enchants for defense. Specifically, would switch the shield to either defense or block rating and swap some gems for +8dodge/+12 stam. It would be good to get you to block capped. Grab some block rating gear as you see it.

To some extent its a play style thing, as mentioned, you're fine for most any content.

Morionso
02-18-2009, 04:17 PM
I am at the def. min so it would be kind of pointless to add any more def. and if i do go with that helm i have figured it out and i can get one more def. rating total....which is that much but it increases it and im also looking to get the block trink from H VH but it never seems to drop >.<

Thornghorn
02-18-2009, 04:31 PM
As said before, Tempered Titansteel Helm is now better, also I would farm Repelling Charge, which drops from Thaddius on reg mode, hence pretty easy to farm

Niian
02-18-2009, 04:40 PM
Morionso - More defense is never a bad thing. Getting soft capped is a must, but anything else increases your other avoidance stats as well.

Morionso
02-18-2009, 04:53 PM
yea...i never said it was a bad thing...but wouldnt more stam be better than more def. if ure alrdy at the min?

That is just the way i look at it...but tyvm all for ure input ill be making that titansteel helm tonight

Typhus
02-18-2009, 04:59 PM
As Niian said, Defense is now one of the best things to stack for someone that uses dodge parry block... well even if you aint using block (Hello DKs). There rly isnt any boss expecpt Sarth 3D that require high about of stamia which leaves you with alot to gem for also. With this said, dont run to the AH and by out all the Def gems.

Avoidance is something eveyone should strive for but you also need to think of your TPS. Dont gimp that one either. Seen it happend countless times... ppl still in the old TBC thinking where high stam was needed.

And when we are on the subject of penguins its not far for your talant build. You say you took kings for the guild, but isnt their a healer who can take it instead? and whats up with the retritalants. 1 in 1/2 and 2 in 2/3?

Keep on rockin!

Morionso
02-18-2009, 05:17 PM
well my TPS is great...i can easily pull agg of other tanks just by usin my AS Consecrate and HoR and as for the 1/2 for imp judgements its to help with the 6969 rotation and the 2/3 in Heart of the Crusader is to help the crit of other raid members cause we dont currently have any raiding ret pallys either and yea there are prolly a few healers that could take it but they arent willing to respec into it so i get stuck with it

Niian
02-18-2009, 05:31 PM
TBH Morionso, with your health at 29k you don't need to be worrying about it.
Fully raid buffed last night I was sitting at around 38k hp, and I have 29.7k unbuffed.

With no ret pallies in the raid, I would then recommend leaving points in Heart of the Crusader ;)
If you can get one of the holy pallies to spec into kings you can use a filler tallent such as Stoicism and put another point in Crusader, just to finish it off. Probably not necessary, but hey 1% extra crit! Can't complain :)

Morionso
02-18-2009, 05:37 PM
yea...Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sVZ0xVAcuMteIRGots) is my usual spec

headknocker
02-18-2009, 05:40 PM
so each defense skill will equal .12% avoidance and a .04% increase in block. Therefore, each 8 defense is a 1% elimination of melee damage. Its one of the easiest/ best stats to stack, even after the uncritable level, particularly if you've got no threat problems.

Niian
02-18-2009, 08:57 PM
That spec is fine Morionso. Benediction isn't great for Protadins, but it can't hurt to have spells costing less :)

knockcha
02-18-2009, 09:22 PM
whatch think about me :P ive always been more avoidanve than anything else even BC wise avoidance>stam

knockcha
02-18-2009, 09:25 PM
wafflez alexstasza paladin dont know how to link armory <<

Niian
02-18-2009, 09:29 PM
Can follow your link from the "WoW Characters" dropdown list under your name when you post ;)

knockcha
02-18-2009, 09:31 PM
nice ..i like this site even more now lol

Niian
02-18-2009, 09:34 PM
Level 70 trinket :(
You don't have 1 point in Imp Judgements, thus aren't using (cant!) the 969 rotation. Using it will increase your DPS/TPS, recommend changing to put atleast 1 point in it then looking up the rotation. Judgements of the Just also apparently works. 20% speed reduction on melee attacks is great.

Lifeward on weapon? You'd be better off getting Accuracy or a Titanium Weapon Chain.

Also, your block is a bit low. Could be just because of available gear, but don't be shunting block for other gear. Diminishing returns is a bitch!
And you need a lot more hit. 8% cap

knockcha
02-18-2009, 09:36 PM
70 trinket >all also just JUST replaced my t5 helm..amazing inorite
and that rotation i found..boring suprised you didnt comment on pursuit of justice but thnx for the quick rply XD

Niian
02-18-2009, 09:39 PM
Yeh, it's boring but it's the best we have :(
Utilising every GCD = win.

As for persuit of Justice, I was looking into getting it but it's not really worth it when I'm not often having to run to catch mobs.

-edit
sorry for hijacking your thread Mo ;)
Just a recommendation Knockcha, so we don't hijack this thread more if you want more suggestions/other peoples commends I'd suggest making a new thread :D

knockcha
02-18-2009, 09:40 PM
its never about how often its when it happens XD like runnin side to side for alar adds..or runnin back from the "murloc" boss in SSC gewd times..the best of times

Morionso
02-18-2009, 11:31 PM
no worries about hijacking and i would also like to comment...the way i do my rotations is Spam the buttons when they are off CD...there is no method for my madness and i seem to outaggro most other tanks, however wat works for me might not work for others...just an idea

Also i have yet to fully understand that 6969 i just start out with AS then hit HS and then Judgement and then HoR and SoR and then just go from there

Niian
02-18-2009, 11:59 PM
Morionso - The basics behind 6969 rotation is that ShoR and HotR are both 6 second cooldowns, with your other 3 main abilities, Cons Judge and HS, being 9 seconds or there abouts.

Without the other spells inbetween it looks something like this:
(Shor) _____ (HotR) _____(Shor) _____ (HotR) _____

With the other spells:
Judge (ShoR) HS (HotR) Consc (ShoR) Judge (HotR) HS (ShoR) Consc (HotR) ...

I find it easier to visualise it, instead of just writing it down.

Morionso
02-19-2009, 12:52 AM
kewl...tyvm for that ill look into that some and see if it will increase my TPS

Morionso
02-19-2009, 01:00 AM
so yea...i just got out of OS 25 and got the dragonbrood leggings and they decreases my block by 73 value so im not sure if its that big of an upgrade

Niian
02-19-2009, 04:49 AM
Dragonbrood are better than 7.5 I believe

headknocker
02-19-2009, 05:03 AM
you logged out in holy gear, so hard to say....

You do need to get Judgement of the Just though.

Morionso
02-19-2009, 12:00 PM
yea be that as it may nill but is it worth a 3% drop in block rating?

Erichilles
02-19-2009, 12:04 PM
Morionso - The basics behind 6969 rotation is that ShoR and HotR are both 6 second cooldowns, with your other 3 main abilities, Cons Judge and HS, being 9 seconds or there abouts.

Without the other spells inbetween it looks something like this:
(Shor) _____ (HotR) _____(Shor) _____ (HotR) _____

With the other spells:
Judge (ShoR) HS (HotR) Consc (ShoR) Judge (HotR) HS (ShoR) Consc (HotR) ...

I find it easier to visualise it, instead of just writing it down.

isn't Holy Shield an 8 second cooldown?
Holy Shield - Spell - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=48951)

Morionso
02-19-2009, 01:37 PM
yes but it has a 10 second up time so u can afford to lose the 1 sec and utilize the 6969 rotation

Niian
02-19-2009, 01:46 PM
isn't Holy Shield an 8 second cooldown?
Holy Shield - Spell - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=48951)

Yep, but in my post I said "or there abouts" because of it ;)
As Mori said, it has 10s uptime, so adding an extra 1s onto it won't make much difference. A lot of the times it's still on you when you go to refresh it.

Mori - The amount of hit on them makes up for it. Added to that theres the extra defense rating.
If you're going for a block set, by all means take the T7.5, but personally I keep the dragon brood on.

Morionso
02-19-2009, 03:40 PM
ok messed around with some of the gear in my bank and ended up increasing my Def. Rating with the legs on so i am now using that also i have the TTH in my inventory and once i get the red gem for the meta ill be puttin that on

Niian
02-19-2009, 06:49 PM
Defender's Twilight Opal - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40032) for defense and stam
Accurate Monarch Topaz - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40058) for hit and expertise

They are the two I normally slot in if I need a filler for a meta. Hit and expertise is always good, gets you closer to cap :)

Morionso
02-20-2009, 06:12 PM
i have a question about the gemin for exp and hit...i have only used the normal tank chants for hit and havent even gem/chanted for exp and i meet both of those minimuns...exp as long as i keep SoV up which i always do while tanking also i have read on posts on maintankadin that said to never gem/chant for them