PDA

View Full Version : Sparks on Malygos Phase 1

Knighterrant81
02-17-2009, 11:29 AM
We're learning the malygos attempt. I am a warrior tank.

We're having a real hard time seeing the sparks. I can't see them, because there's this giant dragon-thingy taking up *a lot* of real estate on my screen. I rotate my camera 360 degrees, I set my camera distance to max, but I can't always see them.

Some of our DPS is getting better at seeing them, but we're having a hard time communicating where they are to everyone else. I thought some sort of setup like Vashj where you set up zones and marks might help, but then DPS might have a hard time picking up the buff stacks.

So I guess what I'm asking is - does anyone have some good strategies for seeing sparks as the tank, and communicating this to the raid?

On that note, phase 1 is also a survivability test. Can you recommend talent/glyph/gearing choices for making this less taxing for healers? I am currently using Glyph of Heroic Strike, Blocking, and Revenge. When is the best time to blow survivability cooldowns, besides the obvious (say when Malygos gets a spark).

If you're interested, my armory is under Aedanor of Aerie Peak.

sevve
02-17-2009, 02:38 PM
Have a hunter ping and damage sparks, rest should focus on dps.
Keep counting the sparks in your head(never more than 2 at the time), and look for portals the second they spawn. The portals are really easy to see.
You don't even need someone pinging once you get the hang of it, and a good tank can boost a raid tremendously on phase1.
Good luck

Inaara
02-17-2009, 02:42 PM
The best way to handle sparks is for you, the tank to position Malygos in such a way thet they head towards the center, on top of your group. Learning that tanking technique will be the best improvement that you can hope for. When you master it the responsibility of the dps is simply to kill the spark when it gets to them.

If you haven't done so please watch Ciderhelms video of the encounter as he provides excellent instruction and tips for every encounter.

EDIT: if you're not using the max cam distance then this is the macro for it: /console CameraDistanceMaxFactor 4

squats
02-17-2009, 02:48 PM
if you dont have your spell detail up, that will help a lot. the sparkes are actually HUGE if your detail is up, and its verry hard to not see them.

you can also have your dps make a macro

/tar spark

and whenever DBM tells you one spawned, have them target the sparks

Kalbitang
02-17-2009, 02:50 PM
There is an audible sound when new portals appear (believe there is some sort of emote, as well). This is your cue to scan around to see where the next spark is coming from, because by this time, you should have already positioned yourself for the current spark.

Another thing you can do is rotate your camera during vortex phases to see where the next spark is (they don't move during the vortex phase). I lose my bearings a lot, but once you can locate the next spark, you know which way to face when you land.

I installed an Addon called "CameraPlus." It lets zoom out your camera much farther than the default (this can be done via console, as well).

I think the combination of the addon and getting more used to the encounter makes things a lot easier. First few times I did it, Malygos ate almost every other spark, as I was just unprepared for how quickly they seemed to be coming out. Now, I can avoid them all pretty easily.

Since you're a warrior, try to intervene your highest DPS, as threat will be an issue in this fight. You can also attack Malygos during the vortex phase, depending on your positioning. Not entirely sure if there's an aggro reset when he lands, but be ready to taunt and drag him out of the middle. You might want to set Malygos as your focus target, as this will make it easier for you to change from highest DPS/threat to Malygos during transitions.

You might find other things useful, but that's what works for me.

There is also a Malygos addon (think it's called MalygosHelper) that helps you keep track of your individual buffs on phase 3. There are folks in my guild (myself included) who have had issues in phase 3, so you might want to intall it and mention it your guildmates. There's also a rogue combo point addon that can be used for this encounter.

Oh, and once you get pretty good with the sparks, you don't even really need to communicate too much to your raid. You'll be able to position the sparks pretty well on your own, and can just give them some heads-up that the spark is about to pass above them (or is a little to their left/right). It'd be nice to let them know which way to run after vortex, but I'm not sure if that's necessary.

kroxix
02-17-2009, 02:55 PM
I know the Malygos fight (especially phase 1) was a big test for myself as a tank. There are just so many things the Tank has to be doing and if isn't done right, it will easily result in a wipe (either immediately or later in the fight). There's nothing more discouraging than getting to phase 3 with everyone up, only to realize you don't have enough time on the Enrage timer to down him.

With that said, the only thing I can recommend is continued practice. I know malygos is a beast of a dragon (in size), and being able to see around him is difficult. I'm using DBM, so I have this huge bar that tells me when a Spark is about to spawn. Before this happens, I am constantly (but steadily) rotating my camera around to see where the next one will spawn. As long as you can get a glimpse of 3 of the stars, you should be good to go. Just keep calm and slowly rotate your camera to get a view of the spawn points. It also might help to have your raid scream at you if a Spark is spawning behind you. Another point is that if you can keep Malygos positioned perpendicular to your raid (assuming your raid is standing in the middle), seeing the sparks that may spawn to the left and right of him (and behind him as well) is a little bit easier.

Malygos is an everything fight. Tank Fight, Survivability, DPS Race. Make sure everyone has sufficient HP and that your healers are casting their instant casts on targets with lower HP (and are in range) during Vortex. I also have noticed that a (good) Holy Priest casting CoH during Vortex makes that part of the phase somewhat trivial. If you have warlocks in your raid, make sure they are teleporting out of Vortex. Same goes for Rogues and using Shadowstep/Killing Spree. For your own HP and Phase 1, be sure to let your healers know when he arcane breaths you or eats a spark. The damage with Arcane Breath is very spikey so if your healers aren't on their toes, he can catch you with an Arcane Breath and melee you for most of your HP before the healers even notice you're low. My raid always bloodlusts immediately before he hits 50% (starts phase 2, but you can shave off another 10%-14% while he's in flight), this strategy only works well if you are caster/ranged DPS heavy.

Just make sure to be on top of the raid to ensure that everyone knows what they're doing. If you can consistenly get Malygos into phase 3 but are still having trouble with his Enrage Timer, just be patient, and keep gearing people up in Nax/OS. You will notice a steady progression in overall performance of your raid.

EDIT: lol, looks like a bunch of people beat me to the punch, so apologies if my post sounds repetitive.

Knighterrant81
02-17-2009, 04:02 PM
Not to be snarky, but when I said I can't see them, telling me they're easy to see isn't helpful.

I do have my spell detail down 100%. I could try turning it up, but my system isn't really set up to handle stuff like vortex and deep breath at higher spell details. I will try it.

I've watched cider's video, and it seems like Malygos simply doesn't take as much space on his screen and he is more easily able to see around Maly. Moving Maly isn't too bad, there's lots of real estate out there. Just *where* to move him is my problem.

A side thought - Can you *fall off* the eye of eternity?

Inaara
02-17-2009, 05:24 PM
No no, you need your detail turned up, not down. When he is positioned you need to pan your cam around and look for the sparks. if you have your camera at max distance it isn't a problem. I don't mean the default max camera distance.
As I said above, /console CameraDistanceMaxFactor 4 is the macro for increasing it.

You cannot fall off the edge however you should never get that close to the edge as you want the sparks killed in the center and therefore your group must be in the center.

Forklift
02-18-2009, 12:29 PM
Not being physically able to see the sparks is entirely your display problem. If you don't have the computer to run 100% spell detail, I don't know what people here could help you with. Maybe turn down the rest of your visual settings so that you can turn spell detail up?

dyls
02-18-2009, 12:36 PM
You can't fall off the edge, don't worry :)

I also used to have trouble seeing the sparks. What I find easiest now is to look for not the spark itself, but the place that the spark came from. There are several spawn spots, as you know, and if a spark has recently come from one, it will be BIG AND SPARKLY. Once I spot this, which only takes a couple of seconds, I can focus a bit more on that area until I see the spark itself.

To help your healers, you can glyph for last stand. This lowers the CD a lot (and reduces the health gained, by a bit) so that after first vortx you last stand, second vortex shield wall, third vortex last stand. If you're going for more than 3 vortexes, then your raid's dps is the problem, not your tanking or your healers.