PDA

View Full Version : Solo Tanking Gluth

Horacio
02-17-2009, 07:19 AM
Ok, here's the situation: We clear Naxx10 with no issues now, finally, but this coming Sunday, our DK is out. He's usually our chow kite tank.

For a sub, we're pulling in a resto druid and our regular resto druid is sliding over to his hunter for the night. While I suppose a hunter could solo kite the chow, maybe, I think it would be easier for him to help me out.

So, our OT would handle Gluth while I kited. I figure the debuff will drop off on its own with use of CDs and strong healing.

What do yall think?

Gravy
02-17-2009, 07:25 AM
The debuff can't be dodged or parried, and I'm pretty sure it can't miss so it would continue to stack on him until he died. You however can let someone with a taunt tank gluth for around 4 seconds to reset the debuff stack on your tank.

Let the debuff stack to whatever number you're comfortable with, tell the other person to taunt when 7 to 10 seconds are left on the debuff, wait until your debuff has 3 seconds left on it, taunt back.

Corisa
02-17-2009, 07:30 AM
Who else do you have available in the raid? We almost always have a survival hunter on the chow and a mage on standby to help him out with a frost nova whenever he calls for it.

I guess it all depends. I went once with over geared healers and no one really able to handle the chow, so we had a moonkin in bear form "off-tanking" Gluth and one of the actual tanks ran around with the chow. I guess that's what Dygrav is referring to - Just having someone with any sort of taunt able to let the healing debuff drop off of the main tank.

Forklift
02-17-2009, 07:30 AM
You need someone to take Gluth off your tank every like minute or so for like 5 seconds so you can let the debuff wear off.

I mean, how exactly will "strong healing" overcome a 100% reduced healing effect after 10 stacks? All you need to do is have a DPS warrior or holy pally or just somebody take aggro for 5 seconds. He casts the debuff every 10s, and the debuffs last for 15, so if you wait until like 7 or so debuffs, and have the pseudo-tank taunt right before the 8th debuff, then have the real tank taunt back immediately after it's cast, you can solo tank it. But it's a pseudo-solo tank.

I'm not sure if this was what you were talking about? I might have misread your post.

Horacio
02-17-2009, 08:53 AM
One time on 25 man, our MT fell in the hole in the pipe so I had to solo tank him for a bit. I got to 10 debuffs, hit LS/Regen and the debuff dropped off on its own and I continued on until the MT ran around and joined the fight. I was hoping this would work for the whole fight. We do have a mage and will have a hunter so we might be able to do it that way. /shrug.

Nez
02-17-2009, 08:59 AM
We just have someone taunt him and run , then taunt back or FD etc. (EXPLOIT! OMG!!) as explained above. Hunter, ret paly, DPS warrior. The adds in the back are pretty easy on 10 man, totem, ice trap, Shockwave, TC = win. I have tanked him with a crap load of debuffs also. Not as big a deal as on 25 man. But best to avoid if possible.
:D

tPaste
02-17-2009, 03:04 PM
Seems like more problem than it's worth. One hunter should be able to kite those adds in 10-man. if possible have a shaman help out by throwing down earthbinds.

Bofur
02-17-2009, 08:57 PM
One time i had to tank him alone the last 30-40% and after 10 debuffs the next one resets the count to one. You can in theory tank it alone...

Eide
02-18-2009, 01:00 AM
We usually have our hunter kite the adds on 10 man, but on occasion we've had a Resto Shaman, Arcane Mage, Prot Paladin, anything that can either kite or grab em and survive really. We usually have a rogue take care of the frenzy with poisons by the way.

It's not a big issue in 10 man, nor is it in 25 man, because really, you should have penty of options with 25 people there, vs the possibility of lacking classes in the 10 man version. The biggest thing is to have a player there who understand how he can deal with the zombies and adapts his game accordingly.

chun
02-18-2009, 02:51 AM
Hey,
another option is to have a rogue use fan of knives and crippling
poison. This can work in addition to a hunter or a mage, so that
one player isn't overly stressed.

This works great for naxx 10.

Just another option to consider, and good luck!

Kelstet
02-18-2009, 09:56 AM
We use a ret pally in full prot gear as a kiter. I have my OT start the pull that way I'm free on decimate to go back and drop a holy wrath and help the DPS burn down the chow.

I've heard about the healer taunt, I don't put alot of faith in it, when my OT went down once I had our holy pally taunt off me and got rocked quick by gluth.

Kel

hvidgaard
02-18-2009, 10:24 AM
It's not practical, but it's doable. Once you reach 10 stacks no new will be applied and once the timer runs out it will fall off and the debuff will start to stack again. The main problem is if you have +6 stacks after a decimate really, and how you're gonna cope with that I don't know. A plate class with some pvp gear can serve fine as a temporary tank (uncritable via resilience and a decent amount of sta) while the debuff falls off the MT.

Nuberino
02-18-2009, 10:57 AM
It would seem perfectly reasonable to have any other class with a taunt to taunt it off you occasionally. As a dps warrior i have done this multiple times both when one tank went down for some inexplicable circumstance or when we needed the druid tank to battle rez a kiter.

10 man obviously the options are more limited.

Art
02-18-2009, 04:53 PM
I managed a horrible 10 man raid where there was simply no dps competent enough to kite the chow, so I did it myself, as a prot warrior. This left only 1 tank on Gluth. What I ended up doing was waiting until after decimate (at this point, the MT had 8 or 9 debuffs stacked) then I taunted gluth just long enough for him to hit me once, then the other tank taunted back. Somehow, we managed to do this without him eating any chow.

It was way more trouble than it was worth, though. The chow debuffs stack ridiculously high, but if you shield wall, you can tank Gluth just fine. Another strategy, if you're absolutely insistent that 1 tank remain on gluth, you can have a hunter taunt with distracting shot, then use deterrance to stay alive until the tank can taunt back.

Argamasilla
02-26-2009, 11:05 AM
We did 1 warrior tank successfully on 10 man naxx last night, with a one pally healer on the tank.

You will be stacked to 10, or 100% healing reduction when the decimate hits.

At 90% our healer was landing 1-2k heals. Maybe an amplify magic would have helped?

The healer gets some mana regen time, about 15 seconds from 100% to the stack reset, and can then top you back up.

Both our DPS and kiting was good, he got two snacks and we still downed him just before the 3rd decimate.

I had about 34k buffed health. I used a dodge trinket at the first decimate and the stack dropped off with about 8500 health left.

The healer went oom about 7 stacks, so SW'd during his enrage to keep health high.

Had 4000 health at 2nd decimate, last stand, then regen as soon as the stack lifted.

Dodge trinket again at next enrage.

DPS rocked him down the last 20%.

Completely do able, but again you need to have a healer with big, effcient heals, and good kiting/dps.

The only thing I would do different, is pop last stand/Regen as soon as it hits 9 stacks maybe? I didn't check to see if the healing on that was reduced, but it I am thinking that its supposed to return a % of your health over 10 Seconds, so maybe you get the full health benefit as it raises your health by a % instead of a fixed HP amount ? If it gets reduced, then wait until you are at 0 stacks and use it to take some pressure off the healer.

Calís
03-03-2009, 05:29 AM
We have done it many times, using one Tank on Gluth and other one for skeleton.
Tank on Gluth need to save his CD so when he gets 10 debuffs and decimate comes he can use it. After 10 debuff the wear off. with right timing it is pretty easy.

Akeber
03-03-2009, 08:19 AM
1)One tank on gluth, the other on chow.

2)Plate DPSer in none/partial/full tank gear (depending on your healers) to taunt gluth.
OR
2)hunter uses distracting shot (i think that is the one) and runs for his life to the back left or right (just not to where the chow spawn) and FDs. By the time Gluth gets back the debuff will have worn off.

Derrick
03-08-2009, 09:35 AM
It would never occur to me to try taking a 10-stack just cause a tank wasnt available. I just have a ret pally or resto druid or whoevers available taunt off on one side. The stack seems to be reapplied at exactly the 4 second mark, so if you have them time the taunt right at the 5 second mark and retaunt at the 3 second mark, it should be fine. If you miss, no biggie. Just get it next time. As long as you don't taunt during an enrage or (god forbid) a decimate, it should be impossible to die in 2 seconds.