PDA

View Full Version : Mana Starved in Heroics

Tijeras
02-17-2009, 05:09 AM
Hello All. I am trying to find a happy spec that will help with my current mana issues. I have just started to raid. I have been in Naxx 10 2x and OS 10 once. Off tanked both with no problems. No mana issues either, however when I tank heroic 5 mans I find myself oom most of the time. I have eliminated consecrate from my rotation in 5 mans. I don't need it for threat but I still go oom after 2 pulls. I hit divine plea everytime it's up and use mana pots when I can to not have to stop and drink every pull.

I tried speccing into Benediction but it really doesn't help. I use BoSanc exclusively while tanking. I have kings only to give it to others (and can't wait until it's baseline so I can put points elsewhere.)

Also should I worry about my low block %? With holy shield up I am at 94% unhittable and with the libram proc I see lots of blocks. I have tried for the block trinket from HVH but I have only gotten Lavanthor 2x and no luck on the drop.

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Llane&n=Tijeras)

twelveshots
02-17-2009, 05:22 AM
the better gear you get, the less you get hit and hit for, the more mana issues you will have due to the fact of less mana return... no real way around it

Durandro
02-17-2009, 05:36 AM
Aye, you could try switching out some avoidance gear for dps gear to lower your overall dodge/parry. Or even put on some caster plate if you're really worried about mana.

Or, alternatively, bring lots of water. Then you can drink after ever other pull and make the healer and mages happy as well.

Tijeras
02-17-2009, 06:08 AM
Aye, you could try switching out some avoidance gear for dps gear to lower your overall dodge/parry. Or even put on some caster plate if you're really worried about mana.

Or, alternatively, bring lots of water. Then you can drink after ever other pull and make the healer and mages happy as well.

As a mana use I always have water in my bags :D My healer has an insane mana regen rate and I always stop for mana breaks for mages and locks, but their pools are so huge most times they are stilll at 10-12K of 18-20K mana while I am oom or at 800 or so mana. I'll try switching out items. I have a heal and a dps set. I guess I'll mix and match to see what works.

I have thought about just using seal of the martyr in heroics but that doesn't seem fair to my healer. Transfering her mana bar to mine...

headknocker
02-17-2009, 06:23 AM
What are you sealing and judging? When overgeared I switch first to judgement of wisdom and then to seal of wisdom if I substantially overgear. It will cut your threat, but speed up the run. I generally tell the dps that I'm in mana conservation mode so give me a moment before they open up (or throw a misdirect or tricks of the trade like move). One thing that you may also want to do is switch medal of valor with laventhor's talisman (h vh) to swap some avoidance for block (which will get you more mana). Keep the medal for boss fights (where mana shouldn't be an issue) and use the talisman on trash. Benediction isn't worth the 5 points.

Tijeras
02-17-2009, 06:36 AM
What are you sealing and judging? When overgeared I switch first to judgement of wisdom and then to seal of wisdom if I substantially overgear. It will cut your threat, but speed up the run. I generally tell the dps that I'm in mana conservation mode so give me a moment before they open up (or throw a misdirect or tricks of the trade like move). One thing that you may also want to do is switch medal of valor with laventhor's talisman (h vh) to swap some avoidance for block (which will get you more mana). Keep the medal for boss fights (where mana shouldn't be an issue) and use the talisman on trash. Benediction isn't worth the 5 points.

I am trying for the talisman. I have had bad luck getting Lavanthor as one of the bosses. I seal vengeance and judge wisdom. I'll try to use Wisdom tonight and see if it helps. I have the glyph for +10 expertise with vengeance up so that is what I use in heroics.

Erichilles
02-17-2009, 06:48 AM
i tend to think expertise is hardly important for pallies. it definatly has value in survivability, but the only thing you have that can be dodged or parried is your auto-attacks, the rest of your damage is all holy(magical). I guess there aren't too many good major glyphs for prot pallies right now, but i get most of the expertise i do have (about 17) from talents and just on my gear here and there. Consecration definately isn't required every cooldown but if your having mana issues you shouldn't have to slow yourself down for 10 expertise. I use wisdom probably every other pull on heroics depending on my mana situation.

Niian
02-17-2009, 06:32 PM
Use seal and judge of wisdom.
I occasionally tank without pants or a shield on too. Shield because you can swap it in/out of combat, and pants because I play a belf female and no pants is always good.

You could try pulling more, or sitting down/turning around so you get hit more

Morionso
02-17-2009, 10:31 PM
Tank More and use less CC

Tijeras
02-18-2009, 12:49 AM
I used divine plea every time it was off cd, and that seemed to help a lot. I was at an almost constant 2K mana while sealing veng, judging wis. I screwed up my spec though so another 50G later to fix it :eek:

Niian
02-18-2009, 12:56 AM
Run with judge/seal of wisdom.
You shouldn't notice a threat decrease in 5mans.

Alent
02-18-2009, 01:12 AM
If you have consecrate up and use Divine Plea every CD, you need to be taking approximately 2600 damage per second - and more to the point, healing per second - to maintain a basic rotation.

Try cutting down on your SBV, raising your AP more, swap in DPS gear, etc. to be hit harder.

Also, you can generally taper off/stop your rotation for the last 30% of a mob's health without ill effect.

Edit: also, you can get the Glyph of Seal of Blood and run Seal of blood (Seal of the martyr in alliance lingo - but it's seal of blood.) to damage ~yourself~ and increase the amount of mana you get from incoming heals... fuzzy math says since it doubles the spiritual attunement conversion ratio that it should reduced required inc damage to 1300 per sec but I'm not as solid on that.