PDA

View Full Version : Gluth 10 - Tanking the adds without kiting?

Ont
02-13-2009, 11:01 AM
So, I'm heading into Naxx this week with an... odd composition. Normally, we have a survival hunter kiting the adds. This week it we've got no one very well suited so I think I'll do it.

Normally, I'm the MT (I'd link my armory but it has my in DPS gear/spec, as I run a 25-man as token arm warrior) and we drop Gluth well before the second decimate. We've not had a chow eaten in weeks, because the hunter does a great job.

This week, we'll have:

Prot Warrior
OT DK (spec varies)

Holy Paladin
Holy Priest
Resto Druid

Balance druid
Arcane mage
Feral Druid (kitty, but he can tank whatever we need him to)
DPS DK (unholy)
Ret paladin

So, yeeeeeah. Zero AoE slows. So, I'll tank the adds this week and we'll have to make do with shockwave, thunderclap and some luck. Any tips on how to do this with this method? Is it survivable with no frost trap or earthbind? I figured on just gathering them up and saving shockwave till there's several on me. High avoidance gear (around 22% dodge, 19% parry, 24% block, 550-ish defense, 29k unbuffed), and shockwave them when the damage gets to be too much to handle. Will this work for us?

dirt
02-13-2009, 11:57 AM
I've done it in 10man with no kiting. I also had a DK help me by using his Army of Undead once we had them gathered up and moved far enough back away from Gluth. He also used his death grip for the occasional runaway, as well as me using my Taunt.

manatank
02-13-2009, 12:30 PM
"DPS DK (unholy)"

I'd say there is no better spec to do this job than an unholy DK if they have Desecration - Spell - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=55670)

It provides them with a frost trap like snare, plus they have death grip, and tons of aoes.

manatank
02-13-2009, 12:32 PM
Oh yeah, and they have +15% speed increase. They can also move their descecrated ground effect as often as they have runes for plague strikes. No other spec compares to an unholy DK for this task.

Dabu
02-13-2009, 03:23 PM
I was curious if I could get some thoughts for my raid's composition as well. We typically run with:

Prot Pally (MT)
Feral Druid (OT)

Disc Priest
Holy Priest
Holy Pally (me)

Shadow Priest
Arcane Mage
Combat Rogue
Assassination Rogue
Fury Warrior

Occasionally the assassination rogue will swap out for another mage as well. I'm not sure on his spec, but I'm somewhat certain it's not frost. And, like the OP, we're woefully short on frost traps or earthbinding totems which seem to make kiting the chow a snap.

Anywho, I was thinking of tanking them myself with the mage popping back for a random Cone of Cold and/or Frost Nova occasionally. I'm not wearing many non-plate items, and figure between Holy Wrath/Consecrate, various ranged nukes, and Righteous Fury, that I might be able to pull it off. Thoughts?

manatank
02-13-2009, 03:55 PM
"Combat Rogue
Assassination Rogue"

I'm not sure, but couldn't the rogues kite with crippling poison (Crippling Poison - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=3775)) and Fan of Knives (Fan of Knives - Spell - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=51723)?)

I've never played a rogue, but I've been led to believe that their poisons proc in an AoE fashion when used with fan of knives. I also don't know if Zombie Chow are immune to poison or anything like that. Seems like this should work though.
(http://www.wowhead.com/?item=3775)

veneretio
02-13-2009, 03:59 PM
Have your Warrior spec into Piercing Howl and then get your Death Knight and Feral Druid to tank Gluth. The Holy Paladin with Righteous Fury active heals the Warrior who tank/kits the adds with the help of the Paladin's occasional AOE stun. Not to mention as you've already stated... Shockwave is pretty amazing for the adds too ;) (Vigilance on your Pally healer doesn't hurt either)

Runes
02-13-2009, 04:49 PM
Easily done without any needs for respecs. We do it frequently with a dps warrior.

You have the warrior kite to the best of his ability. By the time decimate hits he will be at 40-70 debuffs. After the decimate you switch to your other plate class and have them kite to the best of their ability. Gluth is dead by this time for us but you might want to switch back to another plate class for kiting if you have any.

Demm
02-14-2009, 10:06 AM
I've just stood there and tanked them in heroic as an unholy DK with just a priest healing me. Its not that bad really i think i had like 98 debuffs on me at one point, i thought for sure it wasn't gonna work when the guy leading the pug asked me to but i didn't come close to death at all. (mabey just an awsome healer, dunno) but i'de say 10 man should be deffo doable

Rustik
02-14-2009, 10:21 AM
I went ahead and tanked them one night. at 99 debuffs, they only hit for about 3500. Decent block gear will mitigate a big portion of that. Just give yourself a healer, save shockwave for poor RNG, and murder Gluth.