PDA

View Full Version : threat issues with my off tank

mitchicus
02-12-2009, 07:23 PM
Im currently running the raids in my guild and have received some complaints from my dps'ers that my warrior off tank is pulling less the par threat and there either having to throttle back a lot or having to constantly do abilities such as tricks of the trade or misdirect.

having looked at the past 2 weeks of WWS reports i never see him pulling more then 850dps. having used the TPS calculator ive seen on the forums somewhere hes only pulling 2000Tps. are there any suggestions on how to improve his TPS? i couldnt tell ya what his rotation is.
this is a WWS report from a raid we did this week with him as offtank
Wow Web Stats (http://wowwebstats.com/zzktypbj31j3k?a=x2142652)

Clav
02-17-2009, 04:50 AM
At the moment he has got a 0/71/0 fury spec which tells me that he doesn't really know how to spec properly. His gear is a hodge-podge of dps/pvp and tanking gear. I can't tell if he uses this gear all the time but if he is going to be tanking he needs a full set of tanking gear and if he is dps'ing he needs a full set of dps gear.

I would say that he has no idea on how to play a warrior properly and you need to start with the basics. Get him a clearly defined role in a raid and get him to work on his spec (with the help of one of your other warriors preferably). Once his spec is sorted he needs to gear up properly. There is a wealth of information all over this site that he can refer to.

mitchicus
03-03-2009, 02:14 PM
I had to do alot of research myself on warrior tanks to help him with his talent spec and our guild has spent some time gearing him up a bit so that he can be viable in our raids.

for some reason or another however after pvping one night he forgot the spec he should be and requested that i give him his spec again. I did not and he created his own spec. having looked at it i feel like he is missing some major threat talents early on in his tree.

what would be the best course of action? should i talk to him and ask him why he did or did not choose his talents? should i sideline him? should i just have him go DPS instead?

Gretchin
03-05-2009, 05:28 AM
Sounds to me that he or she is not very eager to tank at all... Maybe start with that question and lead on to tanking tips and information if the interest is actually there at all. A person that just throws all talent points into the same three is something I would hesitate to ask to tank something ever at least...

rmd83
03-24-2009, 05:13 PM
just tell him to go with a cookie cutter build (do not let him build his own spec unless he knows the basics of the cookie cutter build and understands the basic mechanics of his class and tanking capabilities). Don't let him gear up the way that he wants, make him gear as prot, DPS gear should never be mixed with prot gear unless you're a dk of course. Not to sound like a prick but you should definitely talk to him and give him a probation from raiding until he gets his stuff straight. Hope things go well with him because warriors are awesome tanks :)

Wyleai
04-02-2009, 01:33 PM
I'm carrying DPS-ish bracers in my tanking set for boosted threat:

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Quel%27dorei&n=Mooshai)

Maybe not really DPS as its still a stamina item, but it is an offensive item.

Have the warrior start tanking a lot of 5-person runs; regular and heroic. Watch the rotation. Try swapping positions on a few fights. OTing is harder than MTing - you've got to run around working on adds and so on. More split focus. Might be easier for a DK or Paladin - with their dot based AoEs to do the AoE aspect of OTing than it is for a warrior, with her instant-based AoE.