PDA

View Full Version : Camera angle messed up when I charge Patch.

Kilrum
02-10-2009, 10:40 AM
Hi all, hoping someone can help me understand why when I charge mobs or bosses, especially Patch (both 10 and 25), the camera angle gets reversed or otherwise skewed.

The end result of my charge will be me facing in the exact opposite direction, and when I move "back", still thinking I am facing the original direction of my charge, I end up in the slime for Patch. Often times this same thing occurs for other mobs and sometimes in PVP.

Needless to say, this resulted in an incredibly embarrasing and fast raid wipe.

I have come to the conclusion that charging patch just isn't a viable option (even though I'd waited for him to cross the slime the 2 times it happened). Fine, all well and good.

But for my own edification, and perhaps to prevent others from learning the hard way as I have done, could someone explain why that is happening?

Thanks.

Blatman
02-10-2009, 10:27 PM
Interesting that you charge him, doesn't that leave your OT's to far away for first hurtful. We just hunter MD and heroic throw and then don't move from that spot.

And yes I often get that charge disorientation.

Kilrum
02-11-2009, 08:42 AM
Basic raiding tactics...I am so used to charging in order to get rage and instant threat/aggro that I forget Patch required different mechanics. Thanks.

So nothing can be done about the camera angle reversal after charging? That is a bummer.

Thanks again.

hvidgaard
02-11-2009, 02:20 PM
I think it has to do with the mechanics of charge, the moment you press charge, it fixes on the posistion you charge to. If the mob moves a bit closer to you charge will conviently face you to the mob, but not change the camera angle.

It could change the camera angle, but I think it will cause more confusion than you facing the "wrong way".

Seradwyn
02-11-2009, 03:48 PM
I think it has to do with the mechanics of charge, the moment you press charge, it fixes on the posistion you charge to. If the mob moves a bit closer to you charge will conviently face you to the mob, but not change the camera angle.

It could change the camera angle, but I think it will cause more confusion than you facing the "wrong way".

^ This.

The camera isn't changing at all, your orientation is the only thing changing. This is the way they have developed to compensate for server > client lag.

Think of it this way, there is always a bit of lag, be it 80ms to 500ms or worse, even computer speed comes in as a factor here. Lately in Naxx I have been seeing 200+. What this means is when I charge a mob, the mob SERVER side is a little further towards my starting location from when i pressed 'charge', so when the gfx catch up finally and draw in the positions, it appears as though I have run THROUGH the mob.

This is a mix of things... Charge is basically like blink for warriors, it's instant, I'm here, then there. No real time in between for compensation, because of this the server reads "charge x,y,z > x,y,z" x,y,z being the starting and finishing spots respectively. SO the server is reading and compensating for these factors, and we see it as running through the mob.

It's funky but it works. The trick is to get used to the occurance and run with it. I might be a little off here, but that's the basic jist of it.

Sheed
02-11-2009, 04:25 PM
I have completely gotten used to this mechanic, and I actually like it. When I charge a group of mobs, get turned around, back up and hit shockwave, the rest of the raid is now dpsing at the backs of all the mobs, as they should be. I just need to remember to not out distance my healers, or back into other groups of mobs.

Raize
02-15-2009, 01:11 PM
I can't think of a single reason why you would want to charge patchwerk. This leaves you vulnerable to taking both a regular attack and hateful strike.

On the topic of the camera angle it is something that occurs to mobs that are immune to the charge stun and is one of the most annoying aspects i've found of charging in general.

On an interesting note though, i've found that since Taunt now has a much larger range, I often taunt before I hit the charge button and for some reason i don't always go through the mobs as much as i used to.

Kilrum
02-18-2009, 09:21 AM
Much appreciated. The explanations make sense :)