PDA

View Full Version : Malygos 10 man

Cellestia
02-10-2009, 11:07 AM
My guild the past week fully cleared naxxaramas for the first time and got the key to Maly. We have had about 10 attempts on him in one night and then last night we did about 4 before calling it a night, our best attempt was last night he was down to 52% before we wiped.

Our main problem is our tank not moving fast enough to get away from the sparks. He has watched the video about 5 times on the fight and still isn't getting it. I even had him come into the instance and walke dhim through it and still no luck.

After the vortex's is the hardest thing for him to pick Malygos back up and get him away from the sparks coming down, which in turn makes me run to the spark and get it down as fast as possible before it gets to Malygos and gives him the buff instead of the raid.

In vent at this time after the vortex we are telling the tank to move and yet he doesn't, which in turn after that causes us to wipe or contantly run around and after the sparks.

Is there any tips or advice you can tell me on this problem, because to be qutie frank I am getting tired of our tank saying he isn't doing anything wrong and in the end the whole raid wiping on this fight and even before phase two.

Inaoe
02-10-2009, 11:28 AM
It's the tanks job to bring the raid between sparks and Malygos by moving him, that's correct. You might be able to work around this by assigning a DPS to kill sparks whereever they spawn, but then you'll have problems kill Malygos in time.

But tanking Malygos is not THAT hard to learn. The first spark will spawn just before the first vortex, and you can normally wait for it, while in the vortex, look for the spark and just move Malygos away from it. The next spark will spawn right after the vortex, and now the tank has to look for it and kite Malygos, so the spark will move through the raid before hitting Malygos. The next spark will then be covered by a vortex again, and so on.

These are the two situations the tank is confronted with. One thing that can help is to call out in Vent/TS, when the spark that spawned right before a vortex is finally killed, we do that, and thats the moment I start to kite Malygos away from the spark that just spawned.

rubinxt
02-10-2009, 11:34 AM
what i do is chose a side generaly in between 2 spark spawn locations
normaly either east or west
i turn my camera slightly into malygos to actualy see the spark spawn
whilst having someone call it in vent/ts when a spark spawns next to malygos right b4 a vortex i run the the opposite side of the room
we generally either use a dk or a druid to deathggrip and root them in place giving enough time to move according to the spawn location
also is ur tank strafing? or walking backwards that can make a world of difference on moving him

Cellestia
02-10-2009, 11:37 AM
Ok, When we attempt tonight we will try that. Though like I said after the vortex we have the spark marked so the tank could see it and still doesn't even bother moving Malygos 3/4 the time until another one is spawned and by that time the one from before the vortex has either been forced to be killed by myself or gotten to Malygos and then I am getting yelled at for not killing it.

This is the biggest problem by far is the time that the tank has to move him.

dyls
02-10-2009, 04:33 PM
I think you summed it up in your first post dude.

main problem is our tank not moving fast enough to get away from the sparks.

If your tank refuses to tank the encounter properly, and even acknowledge that he needs to step up his game, there's not a whole lot you can do (unless you were some super badass group that didn't need spark dps boosts to beat enrage timer, and your healers can heal through a buffed Malygos).

Do you know any other tanks that have done it successfully, and are willing to tank it for you? You can get your tank to respec DPS so he can see how it's done. Or, depending on the situation, boot your tank, don't want to sound harsh, but he sounds pretty disinterested in improving so is unlikely to do you any favours in future anyway.

Good luck. Hope it works out.

Molohk
02-10-2009, 04:44 PM
Make sure your tank knows a few things about the fight:

1) Backing up might not be fast enough, he may have to strafe to move faster.
2) Malygos does not have a tail wipe, so not be afraid of having Mal's tail face the raid.
3) You can see blue portals spawn a few seconds before the sparks spawn, so he must be in the lookout for them.
4) He shouldn't circle too far around the raid, to allow for both melee and ranged to benefit from sparks.

Kalbitang
02-11-2009, 02:08 AM
Like many other fights, there needs to be a level of familiarity with the fight. When I viewed the Tankspot videos the first time, I couldn't make out the sparks at all. I thought the initial vortexes were the actual sparks and was very confused. Another problem is that your first few times, the sparks seem to come *very* fast. It takes some time getting used to them. The tank can't really stay still for too long.

If you want to help out, you can have someone else help spot sparks. As the tank gets more used to the encounter, it becomes really easy.

Another thing that might help is the CameraPlus addon. I installed it, so that I could zoom my camera out a lot more. This increases your field of vision and makes spotting sparks a *lot* easier.

As Molohk pointed out, no tail swipe, so it makes positioning him a lot easier.

Also let your tank know that if he gets disoriented or loses track of a spark during the vortex, he can rotate his camera to relocate it.

Your other raid members can help out quite a bit. The sparks can be CC'ed and even Death Gripped, if you have DK. The first few times I tanked it, we had instances where the spark went over the DPS group and got to Malygos. So, make sure the folks in the charge are doing their jobs, as well.

Good luck.

Gysh
02-11-2009, 07:04 AM
One thing that helped out our raid immensly is setting you camera distance to MAX settings in order to be able to see everything.

Our tank is good at moving Malygos but we also use a 2 DK deathgrip rotation to put the sparks exactly where we want to stack them. If that is an option I would try that.

We just got our first kill last week, phase one is by far the easiest once you learn to stack the sparks and get him to 50% asap.

Thulldar
02-11-2009, 09:02 AM
The sparks are actually pretty hard to see from the tank's perspective, especially while trying to build threat over DPS with sparks. The dragon is very large and blocks most of your screen, even fully zoomed out. One trick that helps and hasn't been mentioned is turning on enemy nameplates.