PDA

View Full Version : Eye of Eternity Malygos (6 Minutes)

Ciderhelm
02-10-2009, 04:07 AM
Please note: The HD on this movie is still encoding with YouTube. You will receive an error until it's done. Watch the Low Bandwidth version until then. :)

UrCxLHXYqwg

Lower Resolution (Low Bandwidth)
UrCxLHXYqwg

This movie is available for direct download for Donors. Click here to learn more! (http://www.tankspot.com/premium.php)

Healers: Our healers on this encounter would occasionally hold their heals if all of the drakes were topped off. To keep the rotation intact, however, you should make sure to use your AOE heal before your energy reaches 100. I may put together a supplemental video for phase 3 healing on this encounter as I was the stand-in healer on many of these pulls.

Krashtork
02-10-2009, 04:10 AM
I'm very excited for this video. I hope it has some tips we can use to speed up a regular Malygos kill since we are having enrage timer issues.

Ciderhelm
02-10-2009, 04:11 AM
I'd very much recommend adapting to this new strategy. Phase 1 is the same, but phase 2 and 3 have been totally revamped from our original movie.

Krashtork
02-10-2009, 04:17 AM
Awesome, I can't wait to see it. We're going back in to try him tonight.

Milbu
02-10-2009, 04:43 AM
I have mixed thoughts about my guild getting to EoE...

I can see us beating him but I think we would have to take the best from both our 10man teams and put them into one team, which bring about scheduling issues >.<

Ciderhelm
02-10-2009, 05:17 AM
low def movie added. :)

Ray
02-10-2009, 06:47 AM
Wow, thanks cider!!! LOL, the day after I asked for a movie. Anyways, keep up the good work!!

I do have some questions as to how this strat would transfer over to a 10 man group. Any thoughts on that?

Ciderhelm
02-10-2009, 06:50 AM
Wow, thanks cider!!! LOL, the day after I asked for a movie. Anyways, keep up the good work!!

I do have some questions as to how this strat would transfer over to a 10 man group. Any thoughts on that?

I don't know the specifics to 10-man as I have not been actively working on 10-man achievements. I do know that we're just over a minute away from doing this on 10-man w/o any strategy differences from our original Malygos movies.

I have no idea if this healing strategy has any potential way of transferring to a 10-man version.

Peca
02-10-2009, 07:40 AM
Great finally I know solution for better healing in 3. phase .Tnx for this.

Lore
02-10-2009, 07:55 AM
I don't know the specifics to 10-man as I have not been actively working on 10-man achievements. I do know that we're just over a minute away from doing this on 10-man w/o any strategy differences from our original Malygos movies.

I have no idea if this healing strategy has any potential way of transferring to a 10-man version.

We played around with it a bit last night, should be getting it this week. So far it seems possible with two healers in P3 with a little luck, or maybe even 3 healers.

Darksend
02-10-2009, 08:10 AM

we have been doing it that way with 2 healers 8 DPS in the 10 man phase 3 since our 3rd or 4th kill

makes it so much easier on the healers

only thing is if you get the surge right after a spark, if you took even a single tick of the spark you need to shieldwall or you will die

Hamburglar
02-10-2009, 08:21 AM
I'm very excited for this video. I hope it has some tips we can use to speed up a regular Malygos kill since we are having enrage timer issues.

This is solely due to phase 3 issues I would say. It is extremely important to make sure everyone knows how to stack the dot and keep it up. I think the strategy where you don't shield is extremely important. If your healers are good you don't need to shield even if you get targeted twice in a row. I know my guild is pretty average at best and we get to phase 3 with about 4:30 left and fought the enrage until we realized how many people were actually screwing up with their drake.

Grats on the 6 minute kill! :D

Doomie
02-10-2009, 09:13 AM
hi, grats on under 6 min kill, but theres something id like to state for the benefit of others that is ;). i have a lvl 80 warlock and i've tried malygos. In you'r strategy you state that one warlock has to drop to his death and apply coe, well i belive there is another way. coe can be applied in phase 2 before malygos becomes un-targetable and it will still be there in phase 3 when you are on your drakes. it lasts for 5 mins so you should have enough time on it, and you wont have to sacrifice a lock, meaning you get more dps on the boss.

I am 100% sure he doesnt remove the effect, for when i fote malygos, i did this a few times myself with my coe, and every time i applied it in phase 2 it was still there in phase 3. i don't think malygos resets the effects on him. i think they just gradually go off by themselves. (in 10 man that is, maybe works in 25 man too)
i hope this info helps :)

slashtankadin
02-10-2009, 09:23 AM
When i do EoE with guild we all just nuke mally and sheild and heal ourselfs when needed or when we have been surged, i like this strat where none of you are useing any shields at all, Ive got to P3 when i have done mally on 25-man and 10man (not useing this strat) i have only got up to P3 atm with guild, sometimes you can get a problem where people will not no the correct way to stack the buff, and for some strange reason i have been getting DC alot from EoE, but when i went to 10man a few night ago the problem seems to have gone so hopefully with have him down this week, we tend to just all nuke mally and not bother with AoE heals ut it looks like it worked realy well for you cider, keep the clips comeing :D

Saturnia
02-10-2009, 09:41 AM
Gratz for the kill and the hints shared with us and really like the DPS-version of Cider :D

/Sat.

tPaste
02-10-2009, 10:15 AM
Cider this video is awesome, How many tanks do you take for this fight?

You mention having 2 prot warriors for cycled improved spell reflects and in phase 2 cycling divine shield and divine guardian. Do you take 2 prot pallys and 2 prot warriors for this...or, do you have 2 holy paladins respec to get divine guardian?...or is it some combination?

Can you please explain that specific part of your group make-up for us? Thanks!

Helsing
02-10-2009, 10:28 AM
Cider this video is awesome, How many tanks do you take for this fight?

You mention having 2 prot warriors for cycled improved spell reflects and in phase 2 cycling divine shield and divine guardian. Do you take 2 prot pallys and 2 prot warriors for this...or, do you have 2 holy paladins respec to get divine guardian?...or is it some combination?

Can you please explain that specific part of your group make-up for us? Thanks!

We use 2 prot warriors and 2 holy pallies spec'd with DG.

Kuwadora
02-10-2009, 10:52 AM
This may be answered elsewhere, but how many healers did you bring?

Lore
02-10-2009, 11:41 AM
Note: When we did this last night in 10man, he wasn't wiping his debuffs after he goes untargetable. This means you can have a lock refresh CoE during the P1->P2 transition and it will still be up for the rest of the fight (they don't have to sacrifice themselves).

Not sure if it's different in 25man.

tPaste
02-10-2009, 12:12 PM
We use 2 prot warriors and 2 holy pallies spec'd with DG.

TY! hrm...it will be difficult, we often roll with Prot War, Prot Pally...so we'd lose out on a Spell reflect...hmm...

Ciderhelm
02-10-2009, 04:00 PM
Note: When we did this last night in 10man, he wasn't wiping his debuffs after he goes untargetable. This means you can have a lock refresh CoE during the P1->P2 transition and it will still be up for the rest of the fight (they don't have to sacrifice themselves).

Not sure if it's different in 25man.
This is good information.

However, please do not say this on vent at any time. I'd rather Church continued to die.

Krenian
02-10-2009, 04:13 PM
Nice interesting twist to the lock killing themselves for the extra damage.

Great video Cider, posted it up on the forums of my guild for some interesting insight.

Kazeyonoma
02-10-2009, 04:29 PM
last night during our 10man malygos, we "accidentally" had an extra healer who volunteered and what ended up happening was that they ended up off-setting their heals just by pure luck and we never lost a dps to surges even though they forgot to shield several times. we met the enrage timer with time to spare as well. the key thing to note is that even though you may be "losing" a dps to have them heal, making sure everyone staying alive contributes to more overall dps and as such faster kills.

swelt
02-10-2009, 05:15 PM
I didn't quite get your comment about the shield strategy in p2, could you expand?

Sair
02-10-2009, 06:45 PM
As far as I know in the 25-man, he clears debuffs sometime before phase 3 begins, so CoE will inevitably fall off.

Tavia
02-10-2009, 06:59 PM
Thanks for this awesome video :)

We used some of your tips you mentioned in it, and we nailed him tonight for the first time in 25 man :D

Many hugs

Nuke
02-10-2009, 07:34 PM
I didn't quite get your comment about the shield strategy in p2, could you expand?

In phase two what he means if there is a spark down they had their prot warriors spell reflecting as well as paladins bubbling to reduce the raid wide damage. The reason to reduce it because the bubbles reduce the amount of magic damage received if you are inside of it. Sometimes you get unlucky and a spark is outside the bubble so you have to just stand there and take the damage.

Also he said they minimized movement by not moving to each bubble but instead going to every other bubble. So one drops they stay in it. Another drops down they don't move. The third drops then they move to that one.

rocket808
02-10-2009, 09:55 PM
This is good information.

However, please do not say this on vent at any time. I'd rather Church continued to die.

LOL

great video ciderhelm...our strat was really close, but a few tweaks that you demonstrate will help us get there!

PS - there should be a guide that sacrafices 1 of every class for a legit reason. we can then link it as the way to initiate new guildies to the fight :D

cudmaster
02-10-2009, 10:55 PM
I know this might have changed with Maly not being targetable in phase 3 right away anymore, but we were able to have a warlock debuff him just before the ground falls away in the past? anyone know if this is still possible?

Also, is it really worth losing a whole stack, just for that curse?!

Or does the warlock in question suck at hitting 112?

Krashtork
02-10-2009, 11:40 PM
Well, we tried some of your tips tonight, and we won :D

Man▀earpig
02-11-2009, 12:34 AM
Aye, we calculated that with 20 dpsers, each one contributes 5% of the damage required to kill him. CoE contributes 13% so Net gain of 7%.

/edit
sorry misstype 20 dpsers

Dhalphir
02-11-2009, 12:48 AM
Aye, we calculated that with 12 dpsers, each one contributes 5% of the damage required to kill him. CoE contributes 13% so Net gain of 7%.

how do you have 12 dpsers?

Thats either massively overstacked on heals/tanks in 25man, or you somehow got 12 people into a 10man

Helsing
02-11-2009, 06:19 AM
This may be answered elsewhere, but how many healers did you bring?

To speed up runs some of our healers spec'd for dps that night, so I can't recall exactly atm, but I believe it was 4 or 5.

Ciderhelm
02-11-2009, 06:27 AM
how do you have 12 dpsers?

Thats either massively overstacked on heals/tanks in 25man, or you somehow got 12 people into a 10man
We test with small groups and calculate expected output. I'm not sure if Manbear just typo'd it and meant to say 19/20, or if he's talking about our earlier pulls where we did only a couple groups of DPS at a time to determine our necessary second markers to reach.

Doomie
02-11-2009, 08:50 AM
er, i notified yall that you dont need to suicide a lock first, but ok :| guess no 1 read my post.

Lore
02-11-2009, 09:09 AM
As of last night, Malygos was definitely wiping CoE in 25man. Our warlock still had a timer on the curse, but it was not active on the boss.

Will update on 10man when I get a chance.

Alkahn
02-11-2009, 01:34 PM
We tried the "COE the boss in P1->P2" but it didn't last either (10 man).

BUT we were using a non-malidiction COE and there was a boomkin in the raid, so I'm guessing Earth & Moon might have overwritten COE in our case, being the stronger buff.

Could this explain what happened to your group, Lore?

Meeks
02-11-2009, 01:40 PM
My guild spent out first night attempting the kill last night and got it after a few tries. We used 4 drake healers for phase 3 though we did have 1 person die during the phase to a spark/focus but other then that people survived fine.

Did not try CoE as we did not have a lock with us.

Doomie
02-11-2009, 01:43 PM
We tried the "COE the boss in P1->P2" but it didn't last either (10 man).

BUT we were using a non-malidiction COE and there was a boomkin in the raid, so I'm guessing Earth & Moon might have overwritten COE in our case, being the stronger buff.

Could this explain what happened to your group, Lore?

i dont think you do need malediction for when i tried it i didnt have it. so it probably might be earth & moon.

Lore
02-11-2009, 01:55 PM
Our lock has Malediction and it was wiped.

Irghen
02-11-2009, 04:19 PM
Could someone clarify the usage of Spell Reflection in phase 2? Is it just to reflect the flying bolts that come to the raid? Cause last night I was spamming spell reflect and got calle don it by our Raid Leader, he said I could reflect the shield back and wipe us; now, this sounded to me like either a bug or hogwash, specially after seeing that you guys were using them through the whole phase.

Ciderhelm
02-11-2009, 04:54 PM
Yes, you can spell reflect anti-magic shields. However, it doesn't affect us. Here's why:

1. If we reflect the first shield, we've already got a raid-wide damage reduction until next shield.

2. If we reflect a shield that pops up immediately following the on we're in, it doesn't matter because we're skipping that shield anyway. We stop reflects a few seconds later so we don't reflect a second.

3. If we reflect the second shield, we simply run over to the previous shield instead. It's small, but it'll last long enough.

cudmaster
02-11-2009, 05:42 PM
Sounds like it is still a good idea even in 10 man then, I should probably have just looked at CoE, that math is so simple even a warrior tank can do it.

Pitty about the CoE falling off now before phase 3 :(

Magmarr is going to have to die tomorrow...

Curious, is it possible to put it up, then kill yourself (with one of those potions from the link quest chain, lifetap + a rune from scholo, maybe have a preist / mage slowfall the lock to give them more time to pull it off, or trick out a portal, etc...) rather than falling to your death, then use a Soul Stone, and still land on a dragon mount? Or will it only give you one period at the start and not a new one until the fight is over? I bet there is a way (which will then be nerfed).

Trixie
02-12-2009, 11:56 AM
As of last night, Malygos was definitely wiping CoE in 25man. Our warlock still had a timer on the curse, but it was not active on the boss.

Will update on 10man when I get a chance.

Confirm. We did it last night without CoE. I haven't done the math to determine if losing the one extra player is worth the group buff. You certainly don't need CoE though.

We had Maly at 35% leaving P1 and beat the timer by 7 seconds with two early deaths in P3.

Hrolf
02-12-2009, 12:34 PM
Ciderhelm just watched this, all I can say is ty tyvm

Posting link on our guild forum.

Rock on!

Beefbox
02-12-2009, 03:21 PM
You can also burn him down in phase one so that he's pretty much dead in phase three. (Works this way on the 10 man version)

The way this works is just have your druids / DK's chain stack sparks (Yes it does require a little bit of luck as it means you cannot move malygos around and you have to hold the sparks in the same spot)

Once you have 4 sparks, AE them so they all die there, Burn heroism at this time and get malygos low enough (So that phase 3 only takes a few seconds --- Do remember that he has to talk though so around 30 - 35 secs is the minimum time you can have)

In phase two just stand in the sparks (range burning all flying scions startin from the left of them --- as the scions rotate clockwise)

Melee work on the lords. If you did this correctly it is possible to get the 10 man achieve with relative ease.

Trixie
02-12-2009, 03:26 PM
You can also burn him down in phase one so that he's pretty much dead in phase three. (Works this way on the 10 man version)

The way this works is just have your druids / DK's chain stack sparks (Yes it does require a little bit of luck as it means you cannot move malygos around and you have to hold the sparks in the same spot)

Once you have 4 sparks, AE them so they all die there, Burn heroism at this time and get malygos low enough (So that phase 3 only takes a few seconds --- Do remember that he has to talk though so around 30 - 35 secs is the minimum time you can have)

In phase two just stand in the sparks (range burning all flying scions startin from the left of them --- as the scions rotate clockwise)

Melee work on the lords. If you did this correctly it is possible to get the 10 man achieve with relative ease.

This no longer works. A spark will live for 90 seconds and then despawn. The lifetime of the spark includes the time it is "alive" and after you have killed it. Because sparks come out in 30 second intervals you'll never get much more than two sparks at once.

AkullTheNineth
02-15-2009, 11:27 PM
Can anyone tell me the addons he is using in the video, Thanks ahead of time.

Kalagar
02-16-2009, 02:17 AM
I may be missing something, or it could be my video settings, but I notice in your movies that there isn't a vortex swirling down and around you in phase 3, which is (pathetically) one of the reasons I hate phase 3. We have no problem killing him, but it would help my stomach and my brain...how do you keep it clear and looking like it's simply in "space" and nighttime? o.O

(Whenever I'm in that phase it's the whirling blue vortex of dizziness...>.>)

Inaara
02-16-2009, 10:43 AM
For our 10 man achievement our strat was almost the same.

Our group was extremely specialized to maximize raid dps and synergy. With melee being useless during the free dps period between P1 and P2 we decided to go with a full caster group with myself tanking as unholy for Ebon Plague.

Raid Comp:
1 DK - Tank
1 Paladin - Holy
1 Priest - Holy
2 Warlock
1 Shaman - Elemental
1 Druid - Balance
3 Mage

As with Ciders strat, we save the heroism for when he lands to get Malygos as low as possible before you face him in P3. 25% is amazing, 30% - 35% is your goal. Since you're running with 15 less players it really isn't feasable to set players aside to heal the group so we just shield when targeted and heal ourselves back up. It is however important to keep your stacks up. after shielding get a 2 combo point breath up then start to heal.

It's more than possible to get it done with any class tanking, Being unholy just allowed both of our locks to use DPS curses.

Ray
02-16-2009, 11:06 AM
We had a mixed group for our 10 man go at it. We found a few things true:

1. Even if he does do a second vortex, its not all bad as most of the DPS can still do some dam so we could get him lower. Ideally he goes up before the 2nd vortex, but its not a wipe if you dont.

2. We used a 7 DPS 3 Healer setup with no shields. Worked perfectly (well not perfectly, but worked well)

We just missed it (by 7 freakin seconds) this week due to one of our raid members having there UI bug out for about 30 sec. We couldnt stop DPS soon enough to not kill him (due to using cider's advice we had 4 stacks of 20ish which were doing massive dam). We are going back in this week using the same strat, hoping that the UI is fixed. 6 min 7 sec, /sigh

Ciderhelm
02-16-2009, 11:09 AM
We had a mixed group for our 10 man go at it. We found a few things true:

1. Even if he does do a second vortex, its not all bad as most of the DPS can still do some dam so we could get him lower. Ideally he goes up before the 2nd vortex, but its not a wipe if you dont.

2. We used a 7 DPS 3 Healer setup with no shields. Worked perfectly (well not perfectly, but worked well)

We just missed it (by 7 freakin seconds) this week due to one of our raid members having there UI bug out for about 30 sec. We couldnt stop DPS soon enough to not kill him (due to using cider's advice we had 4 stacks of 20ish which were doing massive dam). We are going back in this week using the same strat, hoping that the UI is fixed. 6 min 7 sec, /sigh

Couple things:

1. Any time we came close to a kill on Maly we had everyone bail out of their drake. Do this if you need to. :)

1. If you're still watching a timer and saw you went 7 seconds over, that suggests to me that you're looking at the enrage timer rather than the achievement timer. The enrage timer is not synced to the achievement timer.

Ray
02-16-2009, 11:19 AM
1. Yeah, i thought of that as he died, I was like oh sh!t we should have bailed.

2. the 7 sec thing is what the DBM said (which prolly isnt right either) and im sure thats not perfect, but it was within 10 sec of the achievement timer expiring (which I did have up). So yeah, was it exactly 7 sec, prolly not, but it was around 10 sec off, pretty damn close considering we had a raiders ui bug out.

On the bug out, he says he uses the standard blizz bar ui and it still bugged. Is this a known issue?

Inaara
02-16-2009, 11:25 AM
On the bug out, he says he uses the standard blizz bar ui and it still bugged. Is this a known issue?

Not as far as I know. I don't have a snazzy UI setup like the addon geniuses here, been using Bliz UI from the beginning. I have not encountered a problem with it bugging out on me.

Thundar
02-16-2009, 05:54 PM
How do you get your camera distance so far out? Is there more than one setting for this? All I know about is "interface-->camera-->max camera distance. My screen is usually filled with drakes on phase 3, so getting further back would be nice. Awesome site! Thanks a bunch :)

Inaara
02-16-2009, 06:44 PM
make it a macro
/console CameraDistanceMaxFactor 4

Asif
02-17-2009, 09:23 AM
Hey out of curiousity, what add-ons do you use??? that combat text mod is hot.

Njordus
02-17-2009, 12:41 PM
It's more than possible to get it done with any class tanking, Being unholy just allowed both of our locks to use DPS curses.

Wouldn't your balance druid supply the magic damage debuff? Or did I miss something?

Inaara
02-18-2009, 11:39 AM
Wouldn't your balance druid supply the magic damage debuff? Or did I miss something?

Yes Ebon Plague overrides it. The druid is there for Imp Faerie Fire, I don't think there's anything that replaces that, maybe a shadow priest, but we didn't take one. I also forgot to mention that I pop AMZ over the spark buff to decrease incoming damage while we DPS the scions since there is obviously no Warrior to reflect.

If not for AMZ an Icy Touch spam build or frost build focusing on HB would increase DPS/Threat due to the caster craziness.

Bloody
03-01-2009, 12:46 PM
A few quick questions to anybody that has completed this:

What sort of raid comp do you run (tanks, healers, melee, ranged)?
What level of DPS is expected from individual DPSers?

Additionally, if anybody is willing to link to a WWS of a six minute malygos, that'd be very helpful.

Bullshift
03-03-2009, 10:45 AM
Cider you don't by any chance have a 10 man video of 6 minute kill do you? I've formed a dedicated 10 people for getting a drake before it's removed in 3.1 but we are having issues with time.

Our setup:
1 Prot Pally
1 Feral Cat
2 Holy Priests
1 Holy Pally
1 Enhance Shaman (also goes ele since he has gear for both)
1 Aff Lock
1 Fury Warrior
1 Arcane Mage
1 Ret Pally (sometimes he can't make it and we run a Fire mage or a Mut Rogue)

Should we have the warlock sacrifice himself for CoE in P3?
Should we drop a healer or have 1 respec to dps?

Any help is appreciated.

Nerio
03-09-2009, 04:06 AM
Question for anyone who may have tried this: Is the 6 minute 10 man version possible with a physical dps group?

We'll be running

Prot Warrior
Fury Warrior
Ret Paly
Enhance Sham
Surv Hunter
Combat Rogue
Mutilate Rogue
Death Knight (not sure what spec he'll be)
Resto Druid
Resto Druid

We'll have a paly outside for the second paly buff. We'd bring a feral tank but we'd like to get some use out of the spark with spell reflects. I know a ranged group is ideal but currently these are the best DPS we have in our guild. We regularly run 10 man sarth 3d with the fury war, two rogues, and an ele shaman (we're forcing him to go enhance this time) and we're able to usually kill the first drake before a second whelp cast without heroism.

Is the extra 10-15% you get from going p1>p2 and a slightly faster p2 really that crucial to accomplishing this?

Edit: For the post above, I think the COE becomes greatly diminished in value when you drop from a 25 man to 10 man since it benefits only around 8 people in a 10 man versus the 20 people in a 25. I also think you should only run 2 healers, as its not incredibly difficult to 2 heal and an extra dps in p1 and p2 will help shave a lot of time off your kill

Arianne
03-10-2009, 12:32 PM
Can you post a bit more about your healing strategy? You refer to a healing rotation, but you don't say how the rotation begins or is set up. We tried yesterday having everyone stack to 5 and use their AoE when their name was called, having everyone not stack any until their name was called then build 5 and AoE, and having everyone build to 3 and then build 2 more and AoE when their name was called. After that everyone built their 5 stack as soon as possible and AoE'd again. Generally what ended up happening was that people would end up synced and then we'd have deaths and it didn't really seem that any of these methods changed that problem (though it may be a practice issue).

Inaara
03-10-2009, 01:43 PM
Creating the initial rotation is best done over vent and by the person starting the healing rotation. He/she should call out everyone that is healing 1 at a time and after the initial call each healer pops their aoe heal once they reach 5 combo points. As long as the first rotation is done right everything will fall into place.

Arianne
03-10-2009, 04:48 PM
The problem is that there's no real sense of timing in the strategy video. How long between each one do you wait? Are the healers already sitting at 5 combo points? Are the healers sitting at some other number of combo points?

For example, if you have everyone sitting with 5 combo points then you could theoretically call one healer every second. But then you'll get a dead zone of at least a few seconds while the first healer waits on energy to use their heal (and so on for each subsequent healer).

0 - 5 (all healers stack combo points to 5)
6 - healer 1
7 - healer 2 (h1:1)
8 - healer 3 (h1:2, h2:1)
9 - healer 4 (h1:3, h2:2, h3:1)
10 - healer 5 (h1:4, h2:3, h3:2, h4:1)
11 - none (h1:5, h2:4, h3:3, h4:2)
12 - none (h1:5 waiting for energy, h2:5, h3:4, h4:3, h5:2)
13 - healer 1 (h2: 5 wfe, h3: 5wfe, h4:4, h5:3)
14 - healer 2 and healer 3 (possibly) (h4:5 wfe, h5:4, h1:1)
15 - none (h4: 5wfe, h5: 5wfe, h1:2, h2:1, h3:1)
16 - healer 4 (and possibly healer 5) (h1:3, h2:2, h3:2)

Ciderhelm
03-10-2009, 07:04 PM
Arianne, the poster above you, Inaara, has it exactly right. The time it takes to call out a new person is enough to line heals up pretty naturally.

Arianne
03-10-2009, 09:02 PM
One of our healers doesn't use vent, therefore I can't call out names on vent. Thus, I need to know timing so that we can set it up beforehand. I'm still not quite sure if your healers are building combo points or not before you call out their name.

Garbid
03-10-2009, 09:19 PM
Have that healer start with a raidwarning. Counting on vent for the rest of them.

Tisaria
03-17-2009, 07:04 PM
just wondering if DK's anti magic shells are any use along with the spell reflects here? and i very much like the healing plan. organising the healing for our attempts has been giving me some serious headaches lately. (or maybe thats just certain raidmembers....^^)

Drakani
03-18-2009, 01:09 PM
quick question, can this strategy be implemented to fit a 10 man raid, or will it require something different?

Inaara
03-18-2009, 03:15 PM
just wondering if DK's anti magic shells are any use along with the spell reflects here? and i very much like the healing plan. organising the healing for our attempts has been giving me some serious headaches lately. (or maybe thats just certain raidmembers....^^)

Yes, DK's Anti-Magic Zone is helpfull there, anything that can be done to reduce damage and maximize DPS via Sparks should be done.

Inaara
03-18-2009, 03:37 PM
quick question, can this strategy be implemented to fit a 10 man raid, or will it require something different?

It is generally the same concept but is not nearly as intense. First off, realize that Ranged DPS is king for this encounter, if you're able to put together a 25 man raid you should be able to find 7 ranged DPS. The benchmarks are also different. Getting Malygos up before the second Vortex is not a requirement. Since you're stacking ranged DPS, lost time will be made up during the P1 to P2 transition.

I would say that the most important factor is making sure you have 2 sparks stacked befoe taking maly over 50% to maximize your ranged DPS time.

The biggest difference between 25 man and 10, besides of course the amount of people you need, is phase 3. Instead of 3 beams you're only taking 1. Since the amount of damage being taken is minimal, you can cut the amount of healers needed down to 2. It's even possible with 1 healer as long as people shield when targeted. One exception is that if someone is targeted twice, they should definetely shield just to be safe.

Follow the steps and it's an easy kill.

Inaara
03-18-2009, 03:38 PM
One of our healers doesn't use vent, therefore I can't call out names on vent. Thus, I need to know timing so that we can set it up beforehand. I'm still not quite sure if your healers are building combo points or not before you call out their name.

There is absolutely no reason not to have vent. Your healer doesn't need to talk, he just needs to listen. The timing is the time it takes to call out a name and wait 1 second before calling out the next.

wasthatanade
03-18-2009, 10:40 PM
does applying curse of the elements still work in phase 3?

Inaara
03-19-2009, 01:18 AM
does applying curse of the elements still work in phase 3?

Sure does.

MouseDK
03-19-2009, 04:24 PM
In 10 man, can phases 1 and 2 be single healed? We are thinking of running 1 tank, 1 healer, 8 dps.

Drakani
03-19-2009, 07:55 PM
thx for reply, another quick one, does the warlock have to dismount in phase 3 in 10 man or is it beatable without it?

Finkleroy
03-19-2009, 07:59 PM
In 10 man, can phases 1 and 2 be single healed? We are thinking of running 1 tank, 1 healer, 8 dps.
yes

Dubzil
03-20-2009, 08:44 AM
We did both 10 and 25 without curse of elements.
I was under the impression you could no longer do it, but we tried last night in 25 man, warlock dismount and it gave him invalid target when he tried to CoE maly in p3.. so looks like this will NOT work anymore

Inaara
03-20-2009, 09:32 AM
thx for reply, another quick one, does the warlock have to dismount in phase 3 in 10 man or is it beatable without it?

Apparently they hotfixed Maly so that CoE doesn't work anymore. Regardless, CoE boost would only be worth it in 25. Don't bother with it for the 10 man.

craazhy
03-24-2009, 06:34 AM
You probably get this question a lot so I apologize =D.

What's the name of the UI mod you use?

Jaltar
04-28-2009, 07:15 AM
I've been hearing that the DK plays an important role in this fight but I'm not quite seeing it. Is it where Death Grip is being used somewhat early in the fight, or is it the melee aspect of the disks, or something else entirely?

Shirila
01-13-2010, 03:54 PM
We did both 10 and 25 without curse of elements.
I was under the impression you could no longer do it, but we tried last night in 25 man, warlock dismount and it gave him invalid target when he tried to CoE maly in p3.. so looks like this will NOT work anymore

Just too kinda confirm this. I Sacrificed for ph3 last night in the 10M and although it let me target Maly, as I cast it it kept giving me an invalid target too. Not that this matters so much, but Demonic Teleport don't work here during vortex either. It kept telling me I could not do that there.

Inaara
01-13-2010, 04:50 PM
Just too kinda confirm this. I Sacrificed for ph3 last night in the 10M and although it let me target Maly, as I cast it it kept giving me an invalid target too. Not that this matters so much, but Demonic Teleport don't work here during vortex either. It kept telling me I could not do that there.

Yeah they fixed everything a while ago lol.

Shirila
01-14-2010, 10:14 AM
Pity no one told the Healer & tank that (who INSISTED I do it that TWICE thus making me look like a total DB). :mad: He would not have it it don't work .... men!

(And yes I prolly shoulda read up but I have only been here 6 mnths ... I am clinging to that excuse!)

Dreadski
01-15-2010, 12:35 PM
I've been hearing that the DK plays an important role in this fight but I'm not quite seeing it. Is it where Death Grip is being used somewhat early in the fight, or is it the melee aspect of the disks, or something else entirely?

The sparks naturally gravitate toward Malygos, if the DK can deathgrip the spark to the melee area where it can be stunned and killed, it maximizes the DPS output if the raid, moreso if you stack them on top of eachother.

Urythmic
03-18-2010, 12:36 PM
Pity no one told the Healer & tank that (who INSISTED I do it that TWICE thus making me look like a total DB). :mad: He would not have it it don't work .... men!

(And yes I prolly shoulda read up but I have only been here 6 mnths ... I am clinging to that excuse!)

Sadly, it appears that several of the major strategies used in this fight have been nerfed since the video guide was made.

* CoE no longer works in Phase 3
* Imp Spell Reflect no longer works in Phase 2. Source (http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=59089#comments)

AMZ probably still helps a bit, but it only lasts 10 sec now, down from 30 sec. You'd need a lot of Unholy DKs to pull it off, which would nerf your ranged DPS numbers.

Using Death Grip to stack the sparks does still work in Phase 1, but they don't last long enough to carry over much into Phase 2 (if at all).

I'd be very curious to know what strategies people use on this today, assuming anyone still bothers to do it at all.

My guild is just starting to raid now, so we don't yet have the raw firepower to just brute force through this without some good strategy.

Right now we can make it through the first two phases and are practicing the third phase, but we need to improve our times on the first two phases. Pretty sad to discover most of the tips here no longer work. Might be worth at least mentioning this in the main post.

Inaara
03-18-2010, 03:50 PM
It won't be updated because it's extremely old content that can easily be muscled through as long as people can stay alive in P3. The P3 strat remains the same excluding CoE. With the badge gear available you should easily be able to send him into P3 in a timely manner. All i have to say is 1-2-1-2-1-1-2-1-1-2-1-1-2-1-1-2-1-1-2

Urythmic
03-19-2010, 08:50 AM
It won't be updated because it's extremely old content that can easily be muscled through as long as people can stay alive in P3. The P3 strat remains the same excluding CoE. With the badge gear available you should easily be able to send him into P3 in a timely manner. All i have to say is 1-2-1-2-1-1-2-1-1-2-1-1-2-1-1-2-1-1-2

Fair enough. Sad, but understandable.

I still think that either the thread should be unlinked from Project Marmot or the opening of the thread should be amended to say something like: "Don't waste your time studying this because it's all been nerfed. Just brute force it with gear."

Thanks, though.

Inaara
03-19-2010, 10:07 AM
Fair enough. Sad, but understandable.

I still think that either the thread should be unlinked from Project Marmot or the opening of the thread should be amended to say something like: "Don't waste your time studying this because it's all been nerfed. Just brute force it with gear."

Thanks, though.

Honestly the most important aspect of the fight is P3 and your drake strategy. When Maly first released there was no drake strat since you could burn Malygos down to 1 health during the P1-P2 transition so all the focus was on that. Following the video is still the correct strat, kite the boss around to position the sparks, burn the hell out of him during the transition, clean up in P3. Malygos has always favored a heavy ranged group. Even after the spark nerf we were able to burn him down to 20%-15% during the transition. The fight is all about execution.

Urythmic
03-19-2010, 03:57 PM
Honestly the most important aspect of the fight is P3 and your drake strategy. When Maly first released there was no drake strat since you could burn Malygos down to 1 health during the P1-P2 transition so all the focus was on that. Following the video is still the correct strat, kite the boss around to position the sparks, burn the hell out of him during the transition, clean up in P3. Malygos has always favored a heavy ranged group. Even after the spark nerf we were able to burn him down to 20%-15% during the transition. The fight is all about execution.

Absolutely agreed, but that's all explained perfectly well already in the first video, which isn't full of bad information like this one is IIRC.