PDA

View Full Version : You Don't Have An Eternity 10 man

Ray
02-09-2009, 12:45 PM
From those that have done this post patch...

What are/is the trick to doing this other than just overwhelming DPS?

I know about spark stacking and as the DK, I have plenty of practice doing it. So I can reliably stack all the sparks on top of each other.

We did this last night casually (not trying for the achievement) and we stack all the sparks, had a "bad" hero (popped it to close to the vortex), and had no deaths before phase 3. Now we had 3 people die during the drake phase which would need to be cleaned up, but we got him down in about 8 mins. I can see us cutting out a min with no drake deaths, but I dont know where the last min will come from.

Thanks in advance!! I wouldnt mind a video help either :)

Muryou
02-11-2009, 09:49 AM
From those that have done this post patch...

What are/is the trick to doing this other than just overwhelming DPS?

I know about spark stacking and as the DK, I have plenty of practice doing it. So I can reliably stack all the sparks on top of each other.

We did this last night casually (not trying for the achievement) and we stack all the sparks, had a "bad" hero (popped it to close to the vortex), and had no deaths before phase 3. Now we had 3 people die during the drake phase which would need to be cleaned up, but we got him down in about 8 mins. I can see us cutting out a min with no drake deaths, but I dont know where the last min will come from.

Thanks in advance!! I wouldnt mind a video help either :)

Personally i think a hero in phase2 would be better, and at the beginning of p2 you just stand in whatever sparks are down and have ranged start targeting the scions from the start of the phase and melee handle the lords. Good raid synergy helps a ton on this fight. I would also suggest taking a tank that can do decent dps. Most of the time you cut out of the fight should come from phase 2 and not phase 1.

Alternatively you can burn hero when he starts to take off at the end of phase 1 and try to burn him as far as possible, Im not sure how well this works since they changed how spark stacking works.

tPaste
02-17-2009, 01:28 PM
We just got this in a couple nights ago in two attempts. We basically went for the 25-man strat as it applied to the ten man trying to hit those bench marks (which I basically arrived at by watching the 25-man video):
Get him to phase 2 before second vortex.
Get him to about 36% before he's untargetable at the start of phase 2.
Get out of phase 2 a couple seconds after his first breath.

I forget exactly what happened in our first attempt that stopped us, but here is what happened in our second attempt:
- We popped bloodlust after first spark was killed.
- failed miserably at getting him into phase 2 before the second vortex we were somewhere between 3 and 6 percent off.
- HOWEVER we got him to about 29% before he was untargetable in phase 2.
- In phase 2 we got out of that phase right when he was doing his breath. We did this by allowing the ranged to open up on flying targets (no aggro tables on them) and then having melee on the Lords.
We knew that having an excellent phase two and a bit less health from phase 1 we might still be ok.
- We hit the drakes with about 1:40ish left on the timer...we used 2 healers and went with the "No Shield" strat. We lost a couple drakes in phase 3 (personally I believe 2 heals is not enough, and depending how much time you have left on the timer you may want to use 3 healers) but we made it with < 5 or so seconds to spare. We did not do the warlock CoE sacrifice.

I realize we did get a bit lucky (lucky in pulling it off in two attempts, but it was very doable). Though if you're close to those benchmarks it should be doable for you too. If you're not hitting those benchmarks (and aren't close), you'll need to work on switching up (or gearing up) DPS until you can get there.

Also, we didn't use a DK. DKs are good in this fight but not manditory. Warrior MT and rogue were the only melee we had. I think taking a lot of ranged helps greatly with this achievement.

The important thing is make sure your group is prepared to wipe. if you're not hitting the drakes with basically a full group and a minimum of a minute 50 (it's probably about 10 seconds before he's targetable) you should practice phase 3 a bit but then have everyone drop off and wipe.

greendragonempire
02-17-2009, 01:39 PM
Burn phase 1 before 2nd vortex.
Very coordinated phase 2 without dps slacking or getting confused with moving + dps ..
Strafe in phase 3 and dont die ....

Inaara
02-17-2009, 02:03 PM
There is no way to do it without overwhelming DPS. It, like the 25 man version requires perfection, precision and timing. You generally want to be able to heroism after the first vortex and get him in the air before the second. Dropping his HP as low as possible, generally in the 25% - 35% range, is a good indicator if you'll be able to get him down before the 6 minutes is up.

I run with an all caster group with 2 healers . the breakdown is 1 tank, 2 healers, 7 DPS. Casters shine because of their ability to continue dpsing during the P1 to P2 transition. After that it's all about getting the scions and lords down as fast as possible and rocking the drake dps in P3.

P3 comes down to personal responsibility. As long as people shield the breath you should be fine with 1 healer building up the 5 combo points and popping the AoE heal although we just heal ourselves up after getting targeted. Having 1 healer would most likely be more efficient.

Ray
02-18-2009, 07:09 AM
Thanks guys!

This is the last thing our 10 man group has to knock out for our drakes. We got this to 6 min 10 sec with dots killing him before we could die. /sigh

The Strat we figured out from was pretty much what you did Tpaste. We got a second vortex, but we were able to get him to about 30% on untargetable. Burned P2 as the first breath went off and landed with a targetable Maly with 1:45 to go. We would have had it, but one persons UI bugged out and he lost a good 20 sec of DPS (costing us the run). What we did do with P3 was use 3 healers and no shields. We found that 2 healers just didnt quite do it. We switched to 3 and had no deaths. Everyone but for the bugged UI had 20 stacks on the dots.

Lore
02-18-2009, 07:12 AM
Did this last night using the same strategy as in the Project Marmot guide (2 healers in phase 3 instead of 5), but with everyone ready to hit a shield IF things went bad. We did lose two DPS in phase 3, but still killed him with a little over 20 seconds to spare.

Ray
02-18-2009, 07:14 AM
Did this last night using the same strategy as in the Project Marmot guide (2 healers in phase 3 instead of 5), but with everyone ready to hit a shield IF things went bad. We did lose two DPS in phase 3, but still killed him with a little over 20 seconds to spare.

I assume you had him go up before 2 vortex's?

Darksend
02-18-2009, 07:21 AM
i have been in 4 successful kills since the 6 minute version, 3 10 man and 1 25, every single time we had a vortex at 51%, by the time the vortex ended he was at 42, by the time he flew away he was at 30

personally i think its best if you can time the second vortex for 51% have your warlocks port down and burn

if you can, stack warlocks

Lore
02-18-2009, 07:29 AM
I assume you had him go up before 2 vortex's?

Yes, just barely. It makes a HUGE difference, not just from saving the time you would have spent in the vortex, but by having the sparks up that much longer for phase 3.

Overall it seems to shave somewhere around 30-40 seconds off of your time.

Finkleroy
02-23-2009, 06:47 PM
We got this one (on the 10 man) by going with only one real healer and one real tank. Only 2 of the drakes were assigned to heal and the dpsing drakes didn't shield. Was a little rough, but we got it done with 30 secs left on the clock.

Mindy
03-08-2009, 10:48 PM
Trying to remember to the best of my knowledge, but when I did it, we ended up getting a second vortex. But Malygos entered phase 2 with something like sub 40%. In phase 3, we only had a single healer and we all bunched up, slowly going clockwise around Malygos each time a spark was shot out. One part that played big was that at the start of phase 2, a DK was able to bring a spark down into a magic bubble, so we had some nice DPS on the scions and stuff at the start.

Cloud8690
03-09-2009, 12:24 PM
If I were to go with myself (tank) 2 healers, 1 melee and 6 ranged dps, how much dps should I be expecting them to put out to get done phase 1 before the second vortex?

Squashed
03-10-2009, 05:02 AM
We finished this achieve last night after 3-4 weeks of attempts. The final composition was 1 healer (resto druid), 1 tank, 2 fury warriors, 1 hunter, 1 mage, 1 shaman(ele), 1 shadow priest, 1 feral druid, 1 ret paladin.

7.5 gear, bloodlust right after first vortex into double sparks & speed pots. Also got first bubble on a spark (like ciderhelm's video of 25) We BARELY managed to get him into the air on the 2nd Vortex, more ranged dps would have alleviated that problem.

I believe the 2 fury warriors were up above 4k dps and were the highest. Phase 3 we had 3 people die periodically throughout, got it with just seconds to spare. In all, with our comp, extremely difficulty achievement. Fully food/flasked.

Ray
03-10-2009, 08:14 AM
We got this done about 2 weeks ago with epic success (as this was the last one for many of us for our proto).

Group Comp:

1 Warrior Tank
1 DK
2 Hunters
1 SPriest
1 Enha Shammy
1 Disc Priest
1 Resto Druid
1 Mage
1 Ret Pally

Took us about 2 good nights of attempts (due to having to wait 10 mins on hero each time we wiped it). Key to the fight really was phase 2 and getting our ranged to focus on just the Scoins (had a few trying to help on the lords) and getting through phase 2 just as the first Deep breath was going off. We had alot of trouble burning him down before 2 vortexes, but this gave us a longer burn time on him so he always left at arround 35%. We went with a 3 healer 7 DPS on the drakes with one healer switching to DPS at 10%. We got it with 3 sec to spare and someone dying on there drake.

Feel free to say hi to me on Ysera. Im the AFK DK on the proto on the landing deck :)

Salyna
03-11-2009, 10:47 PM
I found this achievement pretty easy actually. I solo healed the encounter when we did it on an 8 man and 4 shot that, when we tried the 6 minute achievement I decided to try solo healing it again and didn't have too much trouble with it. I just made sure to bring a Shadow Priest and a Ret Paladin both for their healing buffs and brought the extra DPS to get Malygos into Phase 2 faster. Doing this I think made the raid composition requirements much easier since bringing an extra DPS meant that if you screwed up it wasn't a total waste, there was a lot more room for error as long as I was on top of my game. It worked and we got the achievement after 5 tries I believe.

Valk
03-11-2009, 11:05 PM
This ended up being easier than we thought. One night of 15 attempts.

Group:
DK tank
Resto shaman
Resto druid
DK dps
2 locks (destro and aff)
Boomkin
Ele shaman
Mage
Shadow priest

Locks are really beneficial here. Not only can they avoid the vortex and nuke, but they can also dot up each add in phase 2 as they move in and out of range.

We generally got two vortexes, with Maly around 54% after the second vortex. The first spark was killed, and the second was gripped onto it. The third spark was often killed while we were burning him between phases 1 and 2. BL was used whenever it seemed optimal.

The main problem we ran into was threat. It was very difficult for our dps to burn hard without rapidly jumping in threat. Several attempts were ruined by one or more dps getting aggro and dying.

During phase 2 we tried staying in the spark to nuke the adds, but this lead to deaths if we weren't inside the bubble. We ended up getting lucky several times with bubbles landing right on/near the sparks.

Phase 3 we used one healer. Everyone shielded as necessary.

Malice-BB
03-12-2009, 11:50 PM
Did the 10-man version tonight. First time attempting either version and got it on the 3rd attempt with 45 seconds to spare.

We used every consumable possible to increase dps. Flasks, food, scrolls, popped dps potions during lust etc.

Since we didn't have a paladin in the group, our druid logged his paladin on to come buff us and stayed in the raid group outside the instance. This obviously could be done for whatever buffs are not present in your group.

Group:

Prot Warrior(me)
Holy Priest
Shadow Priest
Balance Druid
Mage
Hunter
Warlock
Warlock
Enhancement Shaman
Fury Warrior

Phase 1: Having a misdirect/tricks helps so your dps doesn't have to wait for you to start generating threat. I also popped a mighty rage pot just before clicking the orb allowing me to start generating solid threat more quickly while still allowing me to use another pot later in the fight. Everyone saved their healthstones to use during vortex as needed to help out our one healer. We lusted immediately after killing the first spark coming out of vortex. We got lucky and had the second spark following closely from the same direction on the first one's tail so the dps got a double stack for at least half of the bloodlust. Got Maly into the air with about 3 seconds left on the dbm vortex cd timer, burned him to 29% and refreshed CoE before he became untargetable.

Phase 2: We stayed in the spark fields until they disappeared even though we were not lucky enough to have a bubble land on them. Improved spell reflect and an incredible holy priest kept us alive through the extra damage. I believe our boomkin also threw some heals in this phase. The 6 ranged dps focused on the scions immediately and left the lords to the 2 melee dps and the tank. We moved only to every other bubble to minimize loss of dps from moving around. Phase 3 began just as the first deep breath started and with about 2.5 minutes left on the clock.

Phase 3: We went with one healer for this phase and all dps shielding as necessary. We didn't know until after Maly was dead but our hunter actually dc'd near the end of phase 2 and we still managed to kill him with 45 seconds to spare.

Kojiyama
03-16-2009, 11:01 AM
We did the 10-man version for people's drakes last night, and got it after a few tries.

Basically we ran with:
1) Prot Warrior (me)
2) Prot Warrior respec'd Fury (other MT from Sarth3D-10)
3) Disc Priest
4) Elemental Shaman
5) Affliction Warlock
6) Survival Hunter
7) MM Hunter
8) Enhancement Shaman
9) Retribution Paladin
10) Unholy DK

People lined up below him and I was given double misdirect so DPS could start right away. Vigilance was on the Enh Shaman, and I helped out the Warlock with an Intervene while waiting for the first Vortex. Generally the Warlock had to Shatter towards the end of the Vortex to avoid aggro problems.

Got him before the 1st Vortex by popping Heroism after the first spark was popped, death gripped the 2nd spark over. Got him down to 32% or so before the take-off was finished.

We were running with a single healer, so the Elemental Shaman popped off a couple chain heals when landing from the first vortex while waiting for the spark to land. People were instructed to use healthstones in the vortex with a single healer.

In P2, I was spec'd into Imp Spell Reflect, which dramatically reduces damage taken and makes a 1-healer strat work fairly easily. It also provides a huge DPS boost towards the Scions.

We used 1 healer + shields for P3 instead of 2 healers + no shields. We found that with only a single person targetted, it was generally easier DPS just to have an extra DPS drake.

Got him about 10s prior to the achievement timer, however we lost our Paladin in P2 due to a double Arcane Barrage right as he was hopping on a disc and didn't have the shield buff. This basically meant we were 9 in P3, and still didn't really have too many problems meeting the timer.

A 1 healer strat with off-spec support from an Elemental Shaman or Moonkin buys a lot of extra DPS, and as long as you have Imp Spell Reflect in the raid it's not particularly risky.

Had the Paladin not died, we would have finished considerably ahead of the timer, especially since he has always been very reliable on drake stacking. (Probably would have had 30-45s to spare or so, which seems fairly typical if you run a mistake-free 1 tank/1 healer/8 DPS setup)

Considering we had one dead, half melee DPS, and an off-spec character in the raid...the DPS requirements themselves are mostly focused on getting P1 before a Vortex. Otherwise, minimizing movement in P2, making sure you death grip down the 3rd 'bonus' spark when he's lifting off, and keeping drake stacks at a maximum are really the key points.