PDA

View Full Version : Why did Patchwerk kill me

Rennadrel
02-07-2009, 09:47 PM
I am running Omen and was making sure to use Hand of Salvation during Patchwerk on 25 man but at about 3% health he smashed my face into the ground with a hateful strike when only one of our tanks was dead, I was still at the bottom of my Omen chart in terms of threat and even bubbled to drop it some more. So why did he hit me with a hateful strike when he was in that frenzy before his death? Even with all the threat generation from being a ret pally, I still should not have died cause the other tanks who had more threat were still up.

Magnuss
02-07-2009, 09:53 PM
He bases his hatefuls on the highest health nearby. So if 1 tank was dead and the other two were dropped low for a second when he went to cast his next hateful, its going for the highest health melee. That would be you for that brief moment.

Rennadrel
02-07-2009, 10:08 PM
There were other melee DPS with more health then me though. I only had about 24k fully buffed.

Magnuss
02-07-2009, 10:43 PM
I dont think it is purely health based, im fairly certain threat plays another part into it as well for 25 man version. Maybe its a combination of health/threat? Top 3 threat? i get it confused.

Dhalphir
02-07-2009, 10:50 PM
Hateful strike follows the following conditions, in this order.

First,

Is the target one of the top three targets on threat? If yes, which ones are number two and three? Then, which ones out of two and three currently have the highest HP? Then it hits that target.

If two and three are both tanks, all is fine. However, if one tank is dead, and when it comes time for Patchwerk to select another hateful target (every 1.5 seconds), the number two tank has less current HP than the number three target (who would be a melee DPS by that point, with one tank dead), is going to get hit.

That was you.

Rennadrel
02-08-2009, 08:52 AM
On my Omen I was at the bottom of the 5 players listed, but I think I was also the highest threat in melee range which is why cause there was a hunter who was 4th on the threat chart and one of our tanks wound up not getting enough threat off to top me, it is pretty hard to pull threat off a Ret pally to be honest :P

dyls
02-08-2009, 06:30 PM
So when you said, "I was still at the bottom of my Omen chart", what you meant was, you were 5th in threat in a 25 man raid?

Magnuss
02-08-2009, 07:00 PM
probably a good piece of information to clarify... that being said my omen doesnt show past 3

dawnrose
02-09-2009, 07:01 AM
I'm 100% sure it's entirely threat based on the top 3. In my guild we never let any melee remove any hp buffs or let them move through the slimes. Nobody ever dies before a tank dies. The only time people ever die is right after the pull and people are a bit fast with dpsing. Just make sure the three tanks got a nice front load of threat and nobody will ever die. Like 3-5 seconds after patchwerk is in position, it should be ok to start nuking.