PDA

View Full Version : Loosing threat

Thowra
02-05-2009, 02:23 AM
Hi All,

I started my tank when the first wow came out, lvld it to 60, and became a MT for my guild. Tanking MC, ZG and all that stuff. Was doing great and got full tier 1. When TBC came out i started a b elf priest and didnt tank anymore. When WOTLK came out, picked up my tank again, lvld it to 80 and thats where I am now.
I only have like 4 blue's, rest is epic. I am def capped so I can tank hc's now, but I seem to lose threat rly fast, wich never happened.
Especially when the rest of the party is quite geared up, I lose my aggro rly fast.
I am taunting, sundering, shield bash, thunderclap, mocking blow also has a taunting glyph and I also got the glyph that sunders the ones around me.

What am I doing wrong?

Is something changed in the threat of some spells or maybe I use em in the wrong way?
Mostly I run in, thunderclap, sunders, thunderclap, sunders, shield bash, and so on.

Plz help :)

gz
Thowra

Mookey
02-05-2009, 03:05 AM
First respec to Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=LAM00fZhbZMItrx0zidIzsGo)
That's very close to Xav/Cider's most aggro build.
//put vigilance on higest dpser, ask for thorns from druid, ask for ret aura from paladin

1) Forget about sunders - you have devastate,
2) Charge -> TC while comming close to mobs (Check Cider Stratholme video for idea)
3) Shockwave
4) Bind shield block to shield slam macro, - hit skull target with that, it will give you more than enough aggro on single target so that non aoe classes can focus on it.
5) TC will come off CD by now - use it again
6) Tab devastate, use Concusion blow/Revenge on every CD on non focused targets (non Skull), that will keep them stunned so they cant go from you + large chunk of aggro / if you can afford rage wise - use cleave a bit, shield slam when proc - use on focused target

That will do the trick.

Choop
02-05-2009, 03:51 AM
Don't forget to Heroic Strike too ;)

Thowra
02-05-2009, 05:57 AM
yea with sunders I meant devastate, and i use the shield block and stun skills aswell.
But ill use em in that order, ill try that :)
Thanks!

Azy
02-07-2009, 09:59 AM
1) Forget about sunders - you have devastate,....

6) Tab sunder, use Concusion blow/Revenge on every CD on non focused targets (non Skull), that will keep them stunned so they cant go from you + large chunk of aggro
7) Tab devastate, if you can afford rage wise - cleave a bit, shield slam when proc - use on focused target

That will do the trick.

Hi,

I would like to know if you really meant SUNDER in point 6 or refered to devastate. I entirely stay off from SUNDER since DEVASTATE came out because of recomendations in forums. Since it uses the same amount of rage couldnīt think of any other thing than a typo. Would like to have your confirmation, nothing more.

Thank you.

Mookey
02-08-2009, 11:00 PM
ye my misstell, soz...

Vanathar
02-09-2009, 08:54 AM
My main is a DK tank, but maybe this will help you as well... I specced a solid survivability build, but I sacrificed too much dps to effectively build threat. Like I said, I play a DK, not a warrior, so my input may not be as relevant, but with a DK, damage done is put through a threat multiplyer, so AP and hit/expertise become important aspects of tanking, and building for a balance of threat (dps)/survivability becomes critical. With people in my guild hitting upwards of 3k dps, I need to sustain 3-5k tps to keep ahead of them.

Hope it helps.

greendragonempire
02-09-2009, 09:09 AM
Put shield spike on your shield, and use shield block right from the start, that combined with tc crits, cleave, shockwave, and rotating deva/ss will get and hold aggro like there is no tomorrow

Thowra
02-16-2009, 04:09 AM
thnx to all of your tips i manage to hold aggro much better :)

greatanubis
02-16-2009, 07:08 PM
cool

Thowra
02-21-2009, 05:56 AM
well...i tought my threat was better but it isnt....

in hc's I do ok, but 1 crit from a party member and I loose it again
I got omen and i have about 10k to 20k threat..

heres my armory;

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Neptulon&n=Thowra)

like last night we did patchwork at naxx, and i should be 3rd tank and my threat wasnt even in sight
I srsly have no idea what the prob is..
Maybe its my tanking rotation? My gear should be fine i guess? or do i need more crit chance?

What rotation do you use?

Dunmail
02-21-2009, 08:46 AM
Don't forget the LK changes to block crunching numbers the titanium panel may be a better option than a spike on shield. What trinkets are you running?

The hit/Exp could be useful to look at as mentioned above, as alot of the tanking itemizations are a bit mediocre, especially in comparison to some of the blues you may have dropped.

Bogota
02-21-2009, 09:21 AM
What rotation do you use?

SB/SS on every cooldown
devastate after every SS to force S&B proc
SW on every cooldown unless SS is up
Con Blow on every cooldwon unless SS is up
Thunderclap/Demoshout/Battleshout/Commanding Shout as appropriate if the above abilities are on cooldown
HS whenever rage is above 65%

PS: max hit cap and expertise!

Bigone
02-23-2009, 03:39 AM
What are the hit and expertise caps?
Got 540 def, wich is over the cap. But have no idea what the hit and exp caps are.
Been reading this thread because i have the same prob wich holding aggro :)
Thx.

tangy
02-26-2009, 06:40 AM
Armory is showing your defense at 560 and the cap is 540 so it might help to take some of that and put it in hit rating or something so up your dps by changing out enchants/gems/gear.

Kral
03-08-2009, 07:50 AM
Hi

In AOE fights :

1- Charge
2- TC
3- Back a lil then Shockwave
4- Spam cleave while tapping devestate (TC when ready)

Cleave and Sunder glyphs will make your life easier.

In single target :

Spam Heroic Strike and use these skills on every GC( in order) Cons. Blow -> Shockwave -> Revenge -> SS-> Devestate

At least that what i do and never lose Threat.

Bigone
03-09-2009, 05:10 AM
Using most of both your tips now, Thanks for the replies. Doing a whole lot better now in both single as in aoe fights.

Spartess
03-10-2009, 10:43 AM
I always read patch notes and look for w/e will give me that minor edge to increase threat. Last patch was the Cooldown reduction on Retaliation. Switching stances and poping that before charging melee mobs (like.. naxx Military quater).

If i hadn't read patch notes, retaliation would still be benched in my spellbook. It's ussually CD every 3-5 mobs depending on groups pace. And FYI, Shield Block tends to counteracts it's purpose of mass parry in that strategy, so i recommend giving retaliation a few seconds to be effective.

Whitegold
03-10-2009, 09:20 PM
Thanks, Spartess. I've never thought to use Retaliation in tanking. I can see now the benefit of turning it on before charging a pack. Great for multimob agro. Or just increasing my overall DPS. I'm trying to do that to humiliate our warlock. His DPS sucks. :)

Whozit
03-11-2009, 11:30 AM
I have had similar issues in the past month or so since 80, but turned a corner now that i do all these things...I was not using vigilance...omg use vigilance! Get Omen Threat meter if you dont use it. And yes-ask for buffs, definitely use macros (i found some good ones on here that work well), use glyphs more effectively, make sure macros maximize your glyph too. I am still work in progress too. And will be following this thread closely since I am sure I missed something. ;()

Yarock
03-25-2009, 07:59 AM
Expertise soft-cap: 6.5% (26)
Hit Cap: 8%

Your first priority should be hitting the expertise cap - 1 expertise is slightly better than 2 hit rating!!! That's a big deal. You will lose aggro if you are dodged/parried or miss entirely. I can't look at your character on armory for some reason right now. If you're just doing heroics - you only need 535 defense rating. I can't imagine any reason why you would want 560 defense rating unless you're doing progression 25 man content - maybe for your guilds first malygos kill or for ulduar?

I normally use lavinthor's talisman and hit it every time I hit shield block (it gives 440 block value for 20 secs) and I use the darkmoon greatness card in my other trinket slot for tanking heroics - it proc's very quickly adding a total of 390 strength which really buffs those shockwaves/thunderclaps.

For glyphs I use the glyph of blocking, glyph of cleaving, and glyph of heroic strike.

Hope that helps.

Oh BTW - those hit/expertise #s are for raid bosses - you can get by with a little less for heroics I believe but I don't know the #s off the top of my head. It's hard to have too much expertise though I think you need over 12.5% expertise to take parries off the table.