PDA

View Full Version : I can't tank Malygos 25

Cedix
02-04-2009, 12:51 AM
Howdy !

Am having serious issue with Malygos Hero. We did our first "real" try last night (after cleaning Naxx 25 for the first time) and i was MT. On 4 try, i got killed almost all the time before even the first spark. We then switch to a Druide tank and we manage to go to phase 2.

What i am doing wrong ? I believe my gear is fine, what more do i need ?

This is my armory profil. I have a Parachute cloak on atm (but i use the naxx 10 cloak with +16 def (running with 546 def)
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Archimonde&n=Cedix)

Thanks for any feedback, i feal cheated by my a better tanking class for this fight :(

ps: this is the druide armory The World of Warcraft Armory (http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Archimonde&n=Pastta)

Ghladum
02-04-2009, 01:31 AM
It's definitely true that with Druids there's more reaction time. Healers in the raid when you're tanking should understand that the Breath+Melee, then Breath Pulse+Melee means there's a period of 5 seconds every 15 seconds or so that you need tons of healing. The Druid can soak 40k damage over 5 seconds... you probably can't.

If you're dying before the first spark, it really seems like the healers don't have enough of a respect for the encounter and are relying on the Druid HP pool to let them be lazy.

Your gear is more than adequate to tank the encounter, in my opinion.

Anaea
02-05-2009, 07:31 AM
Healer here. :)

I would say that the trickiest aspect of healing Malygos p1 for me is right after a Vortex. In our strat, we call out where the next spark is coming during the Vortex phase - so when we land, all the raid rushes to where the spark is while the tank rushes away (to keep Malygos' breath off of the raid and on him alone). The problem is, it's very very easy to lose range during this little dance - and there's a ton of damage soaking into the tank at this time. So I know our tank usually keeps all his trinket cooldowns and last stand type abilities for these moments. That might be something you can do to help your healers get through this tricky part.

If you're dying before the spark ever comes out though, it does sound like there isn't enough healing or enough diversity in healing on you. Do you know what kind of healing group you're running with - class/spec mixes? When going into a new fight I'll generally try to keep one damage mitigator (HoT class or Disc priest), one quick heal, and one big heal on the tank at all times. Malygos isn't a fight where you want three holy priests trying to cast-cancel on the tank. ;)

edit: For comparison, here's the armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Aerie+Peak&n=Kaite) for the tank we usually have on this fight. I agree with the previous poster that you should definitely have the hp for this fight.

loquatious
02-05-2009, 08:12 AM
Not sure if you die after the vortex to the combination Arcane breath / attack damage

If so then you need to

1) Get topped off inside vortex
2) have hots ticking
3) get a priest shield
4) Glyph Last Stand and use it on vortex 1

Dont move too far after landing or you may out range your healers
Get ready to eat a cookie if you have to

On vortex 2 use shield wall
on vortex 3 use last stand again (only possible with glyph)

sevve
02-05-2009, 02:37 PM
Make sure you have an enemy cast bar very visible. Whenever he casts breath hit spell reflect. This will prevent the arcane missiles he does, which combined with a breath will instagibb you.

If you don't have full health when he starts casting breath, use an oshit button.

As previously mentioned, make sure healers know you need to be topped off after vortex. Also if you are fast enough after vortex and run to the edge of the inner cirle, you will avoid any melee hits between vortex and breath.

Cedix
02-06-2009, 04:35 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback, We will probably have another try on Monday. I will try some of the tips above and I'll get back here on how it went (if am MT of course)

Since then i managed to get myself another 3 pieces :) T7/25 shoulders, a new back and the Instructor Bracer.

Brucimus
02-06-2009, 05:09 AM
I have done what Loquatious said and it worked great. I'm not saying you have this problem but for some tanks are afraid to use their tools because of previous long cool downs.

macfeagle
02-06-2009, 03:14 PM
The hotfix may have made this easier. My raid downed him for the first time last night. Blizzard announced a hot fix for this encounter that may have reduced some of the burst. I was getting insta-gibbed a lot during attempts the previous week. It's possible that our raid got better in the intervening week, but I didn't get insta-gibbed once this week.

I like the spell reflect idea expressed in one of the other posts, and I'll try that.

I don't think phase one is a tank gear check (by the time people are seriously attempting this the tanks are probably geared like armored cars) so much as an awareness, skill, and strat check for a few people (the tank, people moving or otherwise handling sparks, and the healers).

I'm finding that if I just tell everyone that I'm going to drop out of vortex, go north 20 yards and turn around, then do this, everything handles itself now.

twelveshots
02-08-2009, 07:44 PM
It's up to the healers to keep the tank topped off is what it comes down to, but one thing to keep in mind that was happening to me, is that on a few attempts after a vortex the healers would run back too far, and then i'd run back too far, making us too far away and causing problems with that. after vortex ends i take a few steps in the way i'm supposed to go, then i wait for the breath, then get into position. With your gear the bottom line is that your healers need to step it up, because you should have no problems.