PDA

View Full Version : Sarth +1 drake 10man

Chromazone
02-03-2009, 10:01 AM
Alright, my 10man group is trying to down sartharion with 1 drake up and I was wondering if there was a decent strategy that most people go by. Our tanks are myself (Warrior) and a Bear tank. We've cleared naxx a few times and most of us also run 25man raids, so we figured we'd try Sarth with 1 drake up, but after killing KT last week and trying it with no planning, it didn't go so well...any suggestions would be appreciated. My armory page is here (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Scarlet+Crusade&n=Chromazone) if that helps.

nessin
02-03-2009, 10:10 AM
Alright, my 10man group is trying to down sartharion with 1 drake up and I was wondering if there was a decent strategy that most people go by. Our tanks are myself (Warrior) and a Bear tank. We've cleared naxx a few times and most of us also run 25man raids, so we figured we'd try Sarth with 1 drake up, but after killing KT last week and trying it with no planning, it didn't go so well...any suggestions would be appreciated. My armory page is here (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Scarlet+Crusade&n=Chromazone) if that helps.

If you're anything like my group when we first tried it, the following example of our conversation may point out the problem we had:

RL: Alright, Tenebron has landed, pick him up tank. All DPS off Sartharion and onto Tenebron.

<5 seconds later>

RL: I said all DPS off of Sartharion and onto Tenebron!

<few seconds later>

RL: Portal spawned, stay on Tenebron and burn him down quick, Tenebron tank will pick up the adds. DPS #1, 2, & 3 get the hell off Sartharion and on Tenebron. (We had a Rogue with Tricks of the Trade to do this - via Fan of Knives - otherwise you need a temporary off-tank or the drake tank to do it)

<once again, another short time later after the whelps had spawned>

RL: Damnit! Stay on Tenebron unless you can hit Tenebron with your AoE spells! ALL DPS ON TENEBRON!

<at about this point we've lost a few people to the void zones and adds getting out of control via direct dps on them instead of Tenebron and the Raid Leader is using terms not suitable for public release>

Molohk
02-03-2009, 10:13 AM
It would be interesting to know which drake you chose to leave up, and what went wrong.

Here are some tips for getting started:

0. IMO, Shadron is the easiest drake to leave up. You won't have to deal with whelps or the nasty 25% health debuff, but you will have to be careful with the fire dmg waves and breath.

1. Make sure your drake tank grabs the drake as soon as he lands (each drake has a spot for landing, and they always land in the same spot) and facse him away from the raid.

2. The edges are a good place to tank the drakes. Find specific spots where you only have to strafe a few steps to get out of waves.

3. Watch out for void zones. This is kind of obvious, but you gotta be careful.

4. Have a third tank (or hybrid) grabbing the elementals, and AoE them from time to time (depending on how many of them your elemental tank can handle)

5. Have a hunter or rogue removing the enrage from elementals.

6. Have your raid as bunched up as possible, so it's easier for the 3rd tank to grab adds. They're going to have to be very aware of waves and void zones.

Hope it helps.

Oh, if you go with shadron, you just ignore the portal until shadron dies.

Tobius
02-03-2009, 10:15 AM
We did this last night. Our strat was to have our Prot warrior tank Sartharion and Tenebron (Hunter MD to make picking the drake up easier) and a DK pick up the adds. All dps on Tenebron as soon as he landed and they concentrated on nuking him asap then when he died dps killed the adds. After that it's just Sartharion left to deal with as normal.

Lethargic
02-03-2009, 10:50 AM
I'm in a similar boat, Except I have ALOT of Choices.

Iiilisaron (prot pally)- My wife, AMAZING tank, 33k HP Raid-buffed, great mitigation
Mendragulous (unholy DK)- My GM, another amazing tank, 31k HP Raid-buffed, good mitigation
Kitchensink (Feral Druid)- Another officer, another great tank, 34-36k Raid-buffed, iffy mitigation tho.
We also have a variety of other available tanks, but those are our top 3.

Healers-
Myself (Lethargic)- Disc priest, 1800 SP, 19k mana, 390 casting mp5 (unbuffed)
Zeighardt- Paladin 1900 sp, 20k mana (unbuffed)
Manderk- resto Druid 1900 spellpower, 16k mana (unbuffed)

we have only 1 other available healer (resto druid, less geared then derka).

we have most of our DPS pulling around 1300-1500 and 2-3 pulling over 2k.

which dragon should we keep up ( if any).

we usually have the prot paladin on adds and the DK on the Dragon, we don't burn the adds and just burn sarth down. The druid has come a few times and had tanked sartharion before, being melee dps the other times (2200 dps no less).

Guild- Heroic, Server, US-Velen

think 1 drake is doable?

nessin
02-03-2009, 11:10 AM
I'm in a similar boat, Except I have ALOT of Choices.

Iiilisaron (prot pally)- My wife, AMAZING tank, 33k HP Raid-buffed, great mitigation
Mendragulous (unholy DK)- My GM, another amazing tank, 31k HP Raid-buffed, good mitigation
Kitchensink (Feral Druid)- Another officer, another great tank, 34-36k Raid-buffed, iffy mitigation tho.
We also have a variety of other available tanks, but those are our top 3.

Healers-
Myself (Lethargic)- Disc priest, 1800 SP, 19k mana, 390 casting mp5 (unbuffed)
Zeighardt- Paladin 1900 sp, 20k mana (unbuffed)
Manderk- resto Druid 1900 spellpower, 16k mana (unbuffed)

we have only 1 other available healer (resto druid, less geared then derka).

we have most of our DPS pulling around 1300-1500 and 2-3 pulling over 2k.

which dragon should we keep up ( if any).

we usually have the prot paladin on adds and the DK on the Dragon, we don't burn the adds and just burn sarth down. The druid has come a few times and had tanked sartharion before, being melee dps the other times (2200 dps no less).

Guild- Heroic, Server, US-Velen

think 1 drake is doable?

Although someone above mentioned leaving Shadron up, he's one of the hardest to deal with when up, although Vesperon is close. Usually you want to leave Shadron for your 3-Drake run because leaving him up with 2-Drakes gives you less time between the drake landings and Shadron provides the biggest buff to Sartharion.

Vesperon is annoying only via the Twilight buff which causes reflective damage to the raid while the Acoylte is still up in the portal. However, you can manage that through several different options.

Tenebron is the only drake that you can effectively manage without considering to the portals, and he offers the least damaging buff (100% shadow damage) to the raid. Leaving Tenebron up is not much more difficult than just Sartharion himself, assuming you have the DPS to kill Tenebron before the second set of eggs hatch, which you can test on your next OS run. When you kill Tenebron independently, don't take the portals and see if your DPS can get him down fast enough.

DogShep
02-04-2009, 06:50 AM
Ok since this thread is up I'd love some thoughts.

We're trying Sarth1d, I know not amazing but we're a family guild not a raiding guild :)

We have:

MT = Me. Warrior 36,666HP Raid buffed
OT = DK. 34500HP Raid buffed
Healers:
=Paladin, avg healer
=Paladin, amazing healer
=Shaman, avg healer

DPS:
=Hunter 2.7dps
=Hunter 2.7dps
=DK (with tank gear available) 3.2dps
=Warlock 2.4dps
=Shadow Priest 2.7dps

I was thinking leaving the back guy up, having our OT tank the drake, and our dps DK go tank and tank the fire eles. How do you guys think we should set out healers? I'm full Naxx10 with some Naxx25 gear, and our DK tank is full Naxx10. Should I tank the drake or Sarth?

Thanks for your help!
~dogshep~

Thrin
02-04-2009, 07:17 AM
My guild did this in the 25 man fight.

I tanked sarth, another warrior picked up tenebron (the one in the rear, names aren't my strong point) and we had a paladin focus on adds.

One thing that helped us is we had the warrior ot tank tenebron just about right behind his portal that way any aoe spells would be utalized to the max. Like our dps warriors whilrwinds and such, not a major point but every little bit helps when your learning right? We were able to focus fire tenebron down after about 3 groups of whelps spawning, at which point the paladin add tank required a bit more healing.

From what I've read with leaving tenebron you either have to be able to zerg tenebron down then deal with the adds or go one or two spawns of adds and then zerg the adds down quickly. I would suggest ignoring the portal completely.

Not the best at figuring out healing stuff, but I would venture to say stick your avg paladin on the sarth tank, the amazing paladin on the drake/add tank and the shaman on raid duty watch.

Also watch out for void zones, they suck.

nessin
02-04-2009, 11:26 AM
Ok since this thread is up I'd love some thoughts.

We're trying Sarth1d, I know not amazing but we're a family guild not a raiding guild :)

We have:

MT = Me. Warrior 36,666HP Raid buffed
OT = DK. 34500HP Raid buffed
Healers:
=Paladin, avg healer
=Paladin, amazing healer
=Shaman, avg healer

DPS:
=Hunter 2.7dps
=Hunter 2.7dps
=DK (with tank gear available) 3.2dps
=Warlock 2.4dps
=Shadow Priest 2.7dps

I was thinking leaving the back guy up, having our OT tank the drake, and our dps DK go tank and tank the fire eles. How do you guys think we should set out healers? I'm full Naxx10 with some Naxx25 gear, and our DK tank is full Naxx10. Should I tank the drake or Sarth?

Thanks for your help!
~dogshep~

This is going to come off as elitist, but if your Drake Tank can't pick up the adds (hell, even a Feral can pop Challenging Roar for the first set, and there should be no second set), don't even try it. On 25-man, its another story, but on on 10-man you really want all your DPS available for the Drake, and it isn't very difficult to pick up the adds.

Assuming the DK will off-tank, practice with him by clearing Vesperon and Shadron, along with the trash, and then run practice fights on Tenebron (without killing him). Basically have him tank Tenebron, and get the timing down on the portal spawns, because he should eaisly be able to reserve Empower Rune Weapon and drop a Death & Decay where the whelps spawn (just in front of the portal) to pick them all up without resorting to a DPS having to do it.

Note:
For anyone that does do the Feral + Challenging Roar, be aware that if you aren't positioned properly it might pick up Sartharion as well, in which case the Sartharion tank better be aware the Feral popping Challenging Roar and on his toes to get Sartharion back ASAP.

Tonylicious
02-04-2009, 11:46 AM
This is going to come off as elitist, but if your Drake Tank can't pick up the adds (hell, even a Feral can pop Challenging Roar for the first set, and there should be no second set), don't even try it. On 25-man, its another story, but on on 10-man you really want all your DPS available for the Drake, and it isn't very difficult to pick up the adds.

Assuming the DK will off-tank, practice with him by clearing Vesperon and Shadron, along with the trash, and then run practice fights on Tenebron (without killing him). Basically have him tank Tenebron, and get the timing down on the portal spawns, because he should eaisly be able to reserve Empower Rune Weapon and drop a Death & Decay where the whelps spawn (just in front of the portal) to pick them all up without resorting to a DPS having to do it.

Note:
For anyone that does do the Feral + Challenging Roar, be aware that if you aren't positioned properly it might pick up Sartharion as well, in which case the Sartharion tank better be aware the Feral popping Challenging Roar and on his toes to get Sartharion back ASAP.

Two tanking a 10man Sarth 1D kill is unwise. You have no exact timeline that things have to be done by, the only reason most suggest that any more than one set of whelps is required (which even then it isn't) is when you have Shadron/Vesperon to deal with during it all. Go with three tanks/healers, Lust early on Tenebron, depending on flame walls, don't worry about adds until you see Tenebron start to spawn a second set, AoE down the adds, go back to Tenebron, repeat until all adds and Tenebron are dead. If your DPS is getting Tenebron down in two (possibly three) or fewer whelp spawns you can consider going for 2D next week (Tenebron/Vesperon).

I've done 10man Sarth3d with 2 tanks - myself on drakes and whelps/blazes and if you have decent DPS they'll hit a threat cap with bloodlust if you're making one tank do it all. Not to mention its fairly hellish.

DogShep
02-05-2009, 08:24 AM
Thanks Tony.

The problem isn't picking up the drake adds, that's not hard. The problem is picking up the fire eles, the drake, AND the drake adds. It adds an unneccesary difficulty that can be avoided with a 3rd tank, who can also DPS on sarth once the 1d is down.