PDA

View Full Version : Death Knight Tanking and Some Input

Lupena
02-03-2009, 10:56 AM
Hi all, I hit 80 a little while back and I was just wondering what some people thought the best spec and how the hell am I suppose to tank heriocs without poppping every C/D I have every pull. I am currently frost and 2 points from defense capped but I feel I mana starve the healer like crazy when they have 1500+ heals.

Lupena
Frostwolf
Alliance

Runes
02-03-2009, 11:04 AM
You avoidance is fine but your stamina is low. You want to aim for at least 25k unbuffed for Heroics and Naxx. You should get the BS helm and boots crafted. You are also missing the belt buckle and your enchants are not upto par.

taek
02-03-2009, 04:02 PM
This is the frost tanking spec i use:

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=j0EMZGxxthebohoVosx0x)

It's a self-reliant spec that doesn't assume a shammy, since i still run plenty of 10 mans. It's geared towards MTing so uses Blood for single target threat rather than dipping into UH for AE threat talents.

how the hell am I suppose to tank heriocs without poppping every C/D I have every pull.

That's how i run heroics...or raids. I pop my IBF on every single pull, since it works against all damage. On melee only ill use UBA instead, on magic heavy packs AMS. Between the 3 i certainly have enough cooldowns for every single AE pull, thats not even counting the Valor trinket.

DK cooldowns are not "emergency" panic buttons. They should be used smartly and built into your rotations. The only one that could be called a panic button for Frost is Lichborne, and you don't need +25% avoidance on every pull.

If frost CD management is not your style, try Blood or UH. Both Vampiric & BoneShield have longer uptimes than UBA and both are less situational and more generic (more health always good, 20% mitigation always good).

Lupena
02-04-2009, 07:46 AM
Thanks for input guys, I think I see what gear I can get to get that extra health and use my C/D more fluently in my rotation to help my healer out. I am going to stay frost just because I am so used to it and to be honest I dont know what I would do without howling blast. I also have leveled up my JC and have the trinket, some crab one so i pop that every time its up (or at least try to) but my mindset is I need to use these C/D's when Im in serious trouble or something. Thanks again

Miltei
02-05-2009, 10:09 AM
I am a Frost DK tank and I was wondering just how up to par my gear was to be considered for raiding Nax and such. I plan on getting the essence of gossamer from Heroic Azjol-Nerub and getting the better belt also, but other than that I was wondering just how my gear added up.

My unbuffed avoidance is ~42% at the moment. And I usually have about 24.5k health unbuffed in frost presence.

Any input would be appreciated.

Lupena
02-05-2009, 10:34 AM
I am a Frost DK tank and I was wondering just how up to par my gear was to be considered for raiding Nax and such. I plan on getting the essence of gossamer from Heroic Azjol-Nerub and getting the better belt also, but other than that I was wondering just how my gear added up.

I was just in a group with one of the best geared warrios on my server and he said that at least 29k health roughly and you HAVE to be defense capped. With my gear (only two epics and some <80 gear I do fine in heriocs but it is really just about getting those 80 blues and getting the epics if they drop.

If you are really set on tanking then you can work for the gear but my guild has all ten mans on farm so if I would want gear I would just go dps and they wouldnt care if i needed the plate tanking gear. Instances are to easy for now, so spending large amounts of money on stupid crafted gear when you can get 10 man replaceable gear is pointless. (Although Titansteel destrpyer is prolly one of the best maces for tanking in-game now) Hope this helped

Miltei
02-05-2009, 09:38 PM
Yeah, I was looking at the destroyer today. I am currently using the Argent crusade revered-reputation mace, and the Destroyer is a step up. I have 565 defense. So defense cap is of no concern at the moment. Thanks for the input though!

Lupena
02-06-2009, 07:46 AM
That extra defense will help you out a lot because I just picked up 4 pieces out of ten man nax last night and sadly it dropped my defense but raised my mitagation, armor, and stam.

Thank you all, I currently almost have 27k health unbuffed and I can tank a nax no prob with a flask and food :) Couldnt have done it without ya