PDA

View Full Version : Am I geared enough for Wotlk Heroics?

Hoodmiles
02-02-2009, 06:19 PM
A friend of mine told me that Heroics in Wrath are really easy and are doable in greens and blues.

I was wondering if in my current gear if I would be able to Tank heroics?

Link to my Armory: The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Detheroc&n=Hoodmiles)

Ive asked this question to several different people but haven't really been able to get a straight answer.

I am an experienced player and would like to think a relatively capable tank, so I would like to think that player skill > gear. But you never really know these days.

Thanks in advance.

Bulk
02-02-2009, 11:03 PM
In short: No, sorry, you're not even close to being geared for heorics.

The major problem is your defence, which is at 484 and at lvl 80 needs to be 535 for heorics (540 for raids).

Your HP is also to low, you need to be at a minimum 20k-21k hp for easy heorics, and 22-24k hp (numbers are subjective ofc, if you have a good healer you need less etc) for the harder ones. However I think your HP will just naturally go up as you get better gear from normal dungeons/reputation while trying to increase your defence.

Have a look at this guide: http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f97/39462-wotlk-tanking-gear-list.html for some ideas on where you can go for some easy/cheap blue items and maybe some crafted epics.

Also: don't be fooled about heoric difficulty - if everyone in the group is in greens and blues you will wipe, and wipe hard, in some heorics - I suspect your friend was probably being carried by better geared players if I'm being honest.

Phlyk
02-03-2009, 06:53 AM
Is there a listing of Heroics and their relative difficulties? Here's my Armory. The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Eonar&n=Phlyk)

I just got kicked out of Heroic Culling of Stratholme because I didn't have enough HP. I agree I am a little low but not too low that the healer can't keep up. I just need to know where to go and what to avoid until I've ground out more key items. I also know that there are quite a few enchants I should be getting. I am frugal with mats so I try to make sure I get something I'll hang on to for a good while. (Flawed logic, I'm sure).

Wantinnu
02-03-2009, 07:00 AM
I have problems getting groups for Naxx because if you dont have 27k hp unbuffed noone wants you. I know the fights as this guy is my 2nd 80 (healer priest is other) and i did Naxx 40 way back when. But I get booted for others mainly cause my guild is still not equipped to run guild runs so I have to go as OT for others PUGs or guild runs. Only group I've run most didnt know the fights and let me tell you OT on Heigen when the MT does not know the dance was fun. Same thing for Instructor.
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Hakkar&n=Wantinnu)

Colina
02-03-2009, 01:10 PM
I have problems getting groups for Naxx because if you dont have 27k hp unbuffed noone wants you. I know the fights as this guy is my 2nd 80 (healer priest is other) and i did Naxx 40 way back when. But I get booted for others mainly cause my guild is still not equipped to run guild runs so I have to go as OT for others PUGs or guild runs. Only group I've run most didnt know the fights and let me tell you OT on Heigen when the MT does not know the dance was fun. Same thing for Instructor.
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Hakkar&n=Wantinnu)

Well, you have a few problems. Your stam is low but not too bad (22491). Your Def is not capped (537), that is a problem. Your avoidances are very low (16% dodge, 15% parry, 14% block). You are essentially geared for 5 man heroics, not raids, yet. You should focus on getting one of two things:
1. more 5 man gear and experience and/or
2. a guild that is willing to run you under geared and carry you

However, I doubt with your gear you'd even be able to effectively OT naxx unless you had some crazy good healer on you all the time which again only hurts the raid.

IceHaus151
02-03-2009, 01:25 PM
A friend of mine told me that Heroics in Wrath are really easy and are doable in greens and blues.

I was wondering if in my current gear if I would be able to Tank heroics?

Link to my Armory: The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Detheroc&n=Hoodmiles)

Ive asked this question to several different people but haven't really been able to get a straight answer.

I am an experienced player and would like to think a relatively capable tank, so I would like to think that player skill > gear. But you never really know these days.

Thanks in advance.

No, you definitely have some work to do. I am no master tank, in fact just switched from DPS for the first time ever last week, but based on reading and reading and reading, and with bad experiences in PUGs, I would say you are way too low. One thing you could do it get Wyrmrest rep. They have some nice tanking gear for revered I think it is. Also, just run level 80 regular instances to get better gear. Your defense needs to be 535 for heroics... When I first respecced I was at 535 and although we got through Oculus okay, the next day when i went to 542 defense the heroics went a lot easier.

Wantinnu
02-03-2009, 01:55 PM
Well, you have a few problems. Your stam is low but not too bad (22491). Your Def is not capped (537), that is a problem. Your avoidances are very low (16% dodge, 15% parry, 14% block). You are essentially geared for 5 man heroics, not raids, yet. You should focus on getting one of two things:
1. more 5 man gear and experience and/or
2. a guild that is willing to run you under geared and carry you

However, I doubt with your gear you'd even be able to effectively OT naxx unless you had some crazy good healer on you all the time which again only hurts the raid.

Actually i just realized my armory page is wrong i have the titansteel boots for tanking ... i use outfitteer and i logged out mounted so i had boots with mithril spurs attached.

Colina
02-04-2009, 06:06 AM
Actually i just realized my armory page is wrong i have the titansteel boots for tanking ... i use outfitteer and i logged out mounted so i had boots with mithril spurs attached.

Even with the boots your avoidance is still very low. You are 5 man heroic geared, nothing more. You are still running with level 70 trinkets, level 76-77 gear, etc etc. Do the ice crown quest lines and you'll get some upgrades there. Do some heroics also for drops. In looking at your achievements the only heroic you've finished is VH, the easiest one. That alone tells me you are not ready for naxx.

I don't know why people want to skip half the content in the game and jump right into Naxx. Take your time, gear up and you'll have no issue getting tanking gigs.

Punchingbag
02-04-2009, 12:01 PM
Is there a listing of Heroics and their relative difficulties? Here's my Armory. The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Eonar&n=Phlyk)

I just got kicked out of Heroic Culling of Stratholme because I didn't have enough HP. I agree I am a little low but not too low that the healer can't keep up. I just need to know where to go and what to avoid until I've ground out more key items. I also know that there are quite a few enchants I should be getting. I am frugal with mats so I try to make sure I get something I'll hang on to for a good while. (Flawed logic, I'm sure).

I see over 1500 Health easily laying on the table when I look at your Armory.

1. Chest has no enchant or Armor Kit. Throw a +18 Armor Kit on it (180)

2. Bracers - Get the +40 Stamina Enchant (400) - Also dump that +20 AP Gem and put either +Stam, + Defense, or +def/+dodge gem in it - Another (240) with the +24 Stam Gem

3. Put an Armor Kit on the Gloves +18 (180)

4. Legs - Put the +55 Stam (550) / +12 Agility Leg Armor Kit on them

5. +22 Stam Enchant needs to go on boots (220)

6. Get Rid of the useless +Haste Trinket and throw something on that has Stamina.

Basically, you need go to the Auction House, select Consumables, and select Item Enchantments. Adding up 1-6 that would give you 1770 more health. (1876 with 3/3 Vitality which you should have) Get a decent trinket and it is easily 2000+. So You could basically go to the AH and be at 24847. I don't know if you could equip (2) Indestructible Alchemist's Stone trinkets or not. You have to look into that. It doesn't say Unique-Equip so I would guess you could. Make another one of those and you're up to 25642.

If you are going to run Heroics you need to make sure you are maximizing your stats where you can. :)

Punchingbag
02-04-2009, 12:14 PM
I don't know why people want to skip half the content in the game and jump right into Naxx. Take your time, gear up and you'll have no issue getting tanking gigs.

Exactly, I've done every dungeon but 2 on Regular (as the quest lines presented them) and am just started to dabble in Heroics even though I have been geared for them for quite some time. Its a long way to the next content patch. (if ever) :)

Phlyk
02-09-2009, 12:15 AM
Thanks for the input, Punching bag, I understand that much can be done with enchants and gems. What I really wanted to know was which instances required uber stats and which ones really did not. Entry level vs. experience/geared heroics.

Durandro
02-09-2009, 06:45 AM
The concept that 'Wrath Heroics are easy' tends to be spoken by DPS. From the tank and healer's point of view, they are still tricky, especially when you're undergeared.

Tanks have to do things the hard way, I'm afraid. You can't even buy all the gear you need for raids, so doing heroics is the only way forwards.

Armor Plated Combat Shotgun is pretty manditory for Warriors who want to tank. It's expensive though, so I hope you know a friendly Engineer.

Level Mining. The bonus to Stamina (not to mention your income) will be very useful.

Gems - focus on Defense Rating until you're at 540 (and I know heroics don't need that, but most DPS refuse to listen to that), then stack stamina until you hit around 25k hp. Then start getting some expertise. As for the Meta, the Stamina/Armour one is probably best to start with.

Enchants - Defense Rating, Stamina, Expertise. And get Armsman on your gloves, +2% threat alone is golden. And a Titanium Weapon Chain on your weapon is always nice (and cheap).

Heroics, in order of difficulty (in my opinion):
Utgarde Keep
The Nexus
Drak'Tharon Keep
Gun'Drak
Violet Hold
Utgarde Pinnacle
Halls of Lightning
Azjol Nerub
Halls of Stone
Old Kingdom
The Oculus

Punchingbag
02-10-2009, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the input, Punching bag, I understand that much can be done with enchants and gems. What I really wanted to know was which instances required uber stats and which ones really did not. Entry level vs. experience/geared heroics.

As far as I am concerned, if you are not maximizing your stats with your current gear then you shouldn't be walking into any heroics. Also, looking at your armory again, you're not ready for any of them. You're AP trinkets are a waste in my opinion and you've still not done nothing with your professions that really benefit you. (looks like you dropped Alchemy ??)

You need a minimum to go from 530 to 535 Defense to be uncritabble in Heroics and your health and armor are too low too. I've ran with some DPS in Heroics that have more health than you do. I wouldn't want to try to heal you.

Sorry :(

Grimkk
02-14-2009, 06:07 PM
dont worry
i have 518 def and tank hc easily (i got nearly 23 k hp)
my avarage dps is around 15% overall,so its also not bad,so i can hold aggro
good luck with getting gear in hc
ask you guild for help coz pugs often will reject you:)