PDA

View Full Version : Prot Warrior Weapon Enchant

Veander
01-31-2009, 09:41 AM
I just finally got the Red Sword of Courage after running UP 13 times. Now I am not sure which enchant to put on it. I had the sword from uk for a long time and had Titanium Weapon chain on it, but now that I have a purple sword I don't know which enchant to put on it.

bigstuffdee
01-31-2009, 11:27 AM
Mongoose seems to be pretty popular. I have also used Executioner as a good threat addition.The only other thing I have seen ppl using recently is accuracy at which point they have very nice gear and are using the hit rating mostly from this enchant. Mats however are extremely expensive;a Cheaper alternative would be Titanium weapon chain. My warrior is using mongoose for stuff like Naxx. I would probably consider the weapon chain if I require the hit.

Brucimus
01-31-2009, 01:07 PM
Weapon chain or Accuracy depending on what you need

Fayre
01-31-2009, 05:07 PM
Personally I enchanted the Red Sword with a weapon chain, but my guild runs 25 mans and I knew it was only a matter of time and effort before something better still dropped. Last Laugh then got the Accuracy enchant.

Gnurken
01-31-2009, 05:55 PM
Accuracy is way too expensive, it's not worth it. It's like 0.56% more crit, but since you have >25% crit for HS already the upgrade is minimal for that cost.

Get Mongoose for the cool effects or Weapon chain.

Kalken
01-31-2009, 07:21 PM
Price really shouldn't determine the choice, guilds pay for enchants more often than not, especially ones that require abyss crystals.

With my red sword I used a Weapon Chain, but I recently got Broken Promise so I tossed an accuracy on that.

Slayer of the Lifeless and anything lower in item level, use a weapon chain, anything above (Last Laugh, Broken Promise) should get quality treatments.

Kedearian
01-31-2009, 07:37 PM
My red sword sported a weapon chain.. My broken promise is using a weapon chain.. I'll spring for Accuary on last laugh since it's gonna be a long time till i get an upgrade, but we are clearing 25 naxx every week and i'm next on the list for LL.

jettzypher
02-01-2009, 03:36 AM
whatever makes you happy atm. considering theyre all mediocre in regards to tanking it doesnt really matter either way.

WBill
02-03-2009, 07:23 AM
Mongoose seems to be pretty popular.

I've seen ALOT of Mongoose enchanted swords floating around lvl 80 tanks on my server which has me confused.

I thought I had read that at lvl 80 the Mongoose proc rate was drastically reduced and as a result something like Exceptional Agility actually balanced out as a better option if you're shooting for an agility enchant.

Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

greendragonempire
02-03-2009, 07:53 AM
whatever makes you happy atm. considering theyre all mediocre in regards to tanking it doesnt really matter either way.

this is the truth buddy, just get a wep chain and be done with it.

ibetank
02-04-2009, 09:20 AM
I had mongoose on my red sword cause it droped like the first week wotlk was out for me and mongoose was not nerfed at 80 yet. as time passed it was procing less and less and when last laugh droped the patch was suppose to bring the stam enchant to I waited the extra weeks expecting the stam chant when they announced it wasn't going into the the game i went with accuracy.

for someone to say that just a small percentage makes someting not worth it would be the same people that don't do xxx cause its only a small change and you add up all those "small" changes and suddenly they are a "big" change.

i do agree with saving the big enchants for the "final" type items though. just don't use it as an excuse to not do anything.

sorry guess i went a tich off topic there and i say accuracy is the way to go at this point in time.

smackers
02-04-2009, 03:03 PM
Price really shouldn't determine the choice, guilds pay for enchants more often than not, especially ones that require abyss crystals.

LOL...don't we all wish the guild would pay for our chants and gems. The reason I don't ride an epic mount is because I put all my money into making my armor epic.

Fitzlestick
02-05-2009, 02:36 AM
Weapon chain is my favorite. It provides more hit rating then accuracy, and the crit rating from accuracy is rather useless. Don't waste your money on an inferior enchant.

Muffin Man
02-05-2009, 02:21 PM
Accuracy is not inferior to the weapon chain. Anyone caring about 3 hit over 25 crit is stuck in TBC thinking.

In tbc landing our moves was what matter threat wise... now our moves *also* have to do damage to generate good threat.

You could argue that the crit is unnecessary, but you can't rationally argue that it's inferior.

f14flier7
02-05-2009, 02:27 PM
Spring for accuracy. I have my Red Sword with Accuracy because it is the best I can get. Both of these enchants have 2 effective bonuses. You only use 1/2 of your weapon chain's "potential" because what boss disarms in the current 25/10man raids. So you are pretty much just using half the enchant, where you could get effective use out of both stat boosts to Accuracy.

Accuracy on the Read Sword wasn't really a debate for me, I had to have it!

Dreg
02-05-2009, 02:29 PM
i'm not sure if i would drop accuracy on red sword unless you don't run 25s.

bouyeeze
02-09-2009, 09:41 AM
In my opinion, you only need accuracy if a) your dps consistently out threats you or b) your guild's dps needs a little extra boost to be where you want it to be. Otherwise, you may as well get a mitigation enchant (agility, mongoose) to make life easier on your healers and thus the raid.

I ran H VH the other day with a pretty much fully 25-man geared enhancement shaman, while I am almost entirely 10-man geared (still have blue trinkets and bracers). He went all out on the final boss and pulled 3.8K dps, and as a paladin I managed to stay above him in threat, only using salvation during the threat drop she does. I have mongoose on my sword, and no spectacular hit rating/expertise/strength modifiers.

Just to give an example that even with a really powerful dps, staying on top in the threat list isn't the hardest thing in the world. I imagine a full 25-man raid with amazing dps is a little different, but regardless, I think the most significant threat boost you will find will be in perfecting your rotations, rather than gemming an extra 12 hit here or there.

Atomsk
02-09-2009, 10:30 AM
Accuracy all the way. When you start hitting things like Malygos, and your DPS is stacking 2-3 sparkfields, those extra crits really do matter. It gets pretty difficult in phase 1 when your dps is typically pulling 4500+ DPS before they are in spark fields, and it only gets more stressful afterward.

gold for the enchant shouldn't be an issue. if your guild is regularly running nax10 and nax25, if you haven't started DEing epics yet, then you will be soon. Even if your guild can't/doesn't supply them, gold is easy as hell to come by. I made about 600g this week FROM raiding. dailies and farming are always an option. there isn't a gathering profession right now that isn;t making money ;p

f14flier7
02-16-2009, 04:56 PM
In my opinion, you only need accuracy if a) your dps consistently out threats you

What tank really gets out threated...? Honestly not a valid point for this topic. If you are being out threated Accuracy wouldn't make a difference; it would be your tanking style~

Typhus
02-16-2009, 05:03 PM
Gold shouldnt be an issue what you are going for. If you choose something you dont need over something you need the most because it cost to much you rly should rethink your choise of gamestyle.

Raiding, regardless of class and specc is about Maximizing your performance. If you choose lesser enchants couse you want to save up some gold you will drag the rest of your raid down with you. Always strive to do your best. Sure if you for some reason doesnt have the required money for the enchant take the less one but strive to get the new enchant as soon as possible.

Sempersimul
02-16-2009, 06:29 PM
What tank really gets out threated...? Honestly not a valid point for this topic. If you are being out threated Accuracy wouldn't make a difference; it would be your tanking style~

That being said from the one who gems for expertise and hit, and hit enchant on hands.

Doomweaver
02-16-2009, 07:57 PM
I just threw on AP myself. didn't really need the hit and what harm does a little bit of extra damage to? ;) More to your target that's what

Clav
02-17-2009, 02:46 AM
I use a weapon chain on my Last Laugh because I think the blue glow of accuracy looks rubbish. Seriously though if/when we get to the stage that weapon enchants actually matter I'll re-evaluate.

Talisman
02-17-2009, 03:07 PM
I've got a weapon chain on Last Laugh. It's one thing to say, "Gold shouldn't matter, use the absolute best you can," and to a certain extent I agree with it, but in this particular case, when we're talking about a difference between 15g vs 1000g (on my server at least) for such a miniscule upgrade I just think it's a waste.

If we discover that the only new tanking weapon upgrade from Ulduar will be from the final boss on hard mode or something, *then* I might consider it.

cattebrie
02-17-2009, 03:10 PM
Once you are farming Content Abyssals will rain from the skys...
Thats when you switch to Accuracy and the guild should pay for it.

Casper7526
02-18-2009, 05:28 AM
Ya know, I've thought about it alot recently and I'm soon to try it out I believe....

Think about this...is 5% less armor really a big deal?

IMO We need someone to run some tests with Berserking on a tanking wep.

Slobash
02-20-2009, 02:53 PM
Why would you? As has been said before, unless you're having threat issues (which is more likely a style problem than gear) or enrage timer issues (in which case your dps has problems) then there's no reason to get a DPS enchant.

I know that there's all these expertise fanboys around at the moment and it confuses the hell out of me, seems like an epeen issues more than anything else.

My philosophy as a tank is that I should be holding threat on a target that requires me to hold threat and I should be doing everything possible to a) stop myself being killed b) reduce damage to myself sufficiently to allow my healers to stop me being killed.

To that end if I am not having threat issues (which noone should be in the current content) then my primary concern is survivability. When I bring this up with the expertise crowd they say "but hey you're not going to die anyway, that's what healers are for, why not improve your dps!!".

Because i'm not there to dps is why, that's what DPSers are for. Our DPS has been buffed a lot already which is great but that's not our role. Instead I choose to gem and enchant to further increase my survivability. And I then choose to take one or two less healers and bring one or two more dps who will do considerably more damage than i'd ever do if I were trying to maximise my dps while tanking.

So in answer to the post, if you're missing a lot with your specials and it's giving you threat issues then go for a weapon chain or accuracy if you're loaded. Otherwise look at something like Exceptional Agility to give your armour a minor boost as well as some extra crit. From what i've read Mongoose is not stacking up well at lvl 80.

cattebrie
02-21-2009, 11:30 AM
Define Expertise Fanboys? Have you ever thought people are just so bored with current content they are having multiple sets?

If you dont have a threat set, you sir are as equally incorrect. Just cause you see a tank in full threat set doesnt mean they dont have other sets. Most decent takes have multiple sets... and if all you have is an avoidance set, then you are wrong....

You should have a threat, high block set, avoidance set, and pure EH set. Since the content is so easy currently, then you will see a lot of tanks only rolling with one. Many of those raiders choose threat/dps because it makes the game more interesting.

squats
02-21-2009, 11:39 AM
Why would you? As has been said before, unless you're having threat issues (which is more likely a style problem than gear) or enrage timer issues (in which case your dps has problems) then there's no reason to get a DPS enchant.

I know that there's all these expertise fanboys around at the moment and it confuses the hell out of me, seems like an epeen issues more than anything else.

My philosophy as a tank is that I should be holding threat on a target that requires me to hold threat and I should be doing everything possible to a) stop myself being killed b) reduce damage to myself sufficiently to allow my healers to stop me being killed.

To that end if I am not having threat issues (which noone should be in the current content) then my primary concern is survivability. When I bring this up with the expertise crowd they say "but hey you're not going to die anyway, that's what healers are for, why not improve your dps!!".

Because i'm not there to dps is why, that's what DPSers are for. Our DPS has been buffed a lot already which is great but that's not our role. Instead I choose to gem and enchant to further increase my survivability. And I then choose to take one or two less healers and bring one or two more dps who will do considerably more damage than i'd ever do if I were trying to maximise my dps while tanking.

So in answer to the post, if you're missing a lot with your specials and it's giving you threat issues then go for a weapon chain or accuracy if you're loaded. Otherwise look at something like Exceptional Agility to give your armour a minor boost as well as some extra crit. From what i've read Mongoose is not stacking up well at lvl 80.

your concept of "because im not there to dps, i should focus on staying alive" is wrong.. just wrong. if you think armor, health, and avoidance is the only way to increase your survivability. you need to rethink your role as a tank.. expertise "fanboys" are not looking to enlarge there e-peen with dps.. more so, they know that expertise will reduce the chance that a mob will get a parry haste, and so they stack expertise to eliminate the chance that they will get into a parry roll.

mavfin
02-21-2009, 11:50 AM
I use a weapon chain on the current weapon I use to tank. It's not a 'tank weapon' because none of those have dropped for me yet. If/when I get something like RSoC or Slayer of the Lifeless, I'll drop Accuracy on it.

Slobash
02-24-2009, 02:54 AM
"Parry haste" is just a term thrown about by the fanboys to make it look like they're stacking expertise to increase their mitigation, feel free to run the numbers to see how weak that argument is. It's going to be amusing when Ulduar bosses are smashing tanks into the ground and forcing them to re-gem for more avoidance.

Cattebrie: i'm talking about discussions i've had with other tanks and observations of posts i've read on these (and other) forums. Your multiple set mentality is stuck in the BC ages, if you need a threat set for any content currently available then something is wrong with your playstyle (and I don't mean you personally, I mean in general if any player needs one etc). This may change somewhat in Ulduar as the dps gears up and assuming our threat scales in the way it has been so far. But many of the changes to tanking classes were to avoid having to use a threat set at all so you could focus on gearing and gemming for different styles of survivability (EH, avoidance etc).

Apologies for derailing and being argumentative, I just don't see boredom as an excuse to neglect my primary role to the detriment of the raid.

calizon
02-25-2009, 10:23 AM
I went a different than most everyone here. I put the orignal potency enchant on mine +20str. Give me AP and BV why not? Both are good for threat and i dont need the hit at this point. That is gonna be my choice til a real tanking enchant is introduced

shiz98
02-25-2009, 10:38 AM
"Parry haste" is just a term thrown about by the fanboys to make it look like they're stacking expertise to increase their mitigation, feel free to run the numbers to see how weak that argument is.
The actual survivability gain may be minimal, but parry hasting can cause deadly burst. It's not so much that expertise is going to work out mathematically over a fight to provide avoidance (and therefore damage reduction), but rather that it provides burst mitigation.

Baicon
02-27-2009, 05:06 AM
[first of all - english isnt my main language, sorry for any typo]

I'm using moongose on Last Laugh, but used weapon chain in others (RSoC or Slayer of the Lifeless).

What I saw (i dont know how to put this on numbers) is: the proc of mongoose increase a bit more BC times. Not sure if this is real, but appears be.

Haarg
02-28-2009, 07:25 AM
I'm using unholy, no joke.

Nothing is spectacular enough to really demand that you have it!