PDA

View Full Version : Warrior Taunt change in 3.0.8a?

Tarkonn
01-30-2009, 04:11 AM
Has anyone else noticed on certain bosses since the new patch came out that for some reason if you taunt, you can't keep threat even if you have a higher TPS output?

I particularly have seen a huge issue on Gluth where I taunt off of the Pally tank I normally run with, and without her even doing much of anything, she's blowing by me on threat.

I also seemed to have this issue too in VoA as well. Once I taunted after the first lunge, it seemed as if I couldn't keep on top of the threat meter, even going all-out at 5k TPS.

Is it just me or did something get messed up when they messed with taunt?

friznit
01-30-2009, 04:42 AM
Lots of posts everywhere on this. Something nasty has happened to warrior threat since the patch and noone's quite sure what yet. My Palatank friend did the same to me in Naxx 25 the last 2 nights - putting out about double my threat without any effort, even if I was first on a mob with a full rage bar.

jere
01-30-2009, 05:10 AM
Paladins are experiencing the same thing. I see it happen every so often. Not sure what the cause is, but for some reason, taunt doesn't always push my threat up to the highest or the person holding aggro, though it doesn't resist either cause the target is forced to attack me for a few seconds.

Morgo
01-30-2009, 05:15 AM
Yeah haven't noticed it myself, but on one of our offtanks tried taunting a mob like 4 times, and it would only hit him while taunt lasted, he was not put to the same threat level as the dps. Seems to be a bug.

Warwench
01-30-2009, 05:24 AM
i ran naxx10 with 2 warriors and i was noticing both our threat seemed a little low .. didnt affect the raid overly much because it was 2 warriros but there is def something wrong with our threat, noticed it in sarth25 though with the other tanks.

Kojiyama
01-30-2009, 05:51 AM
I noticed some really odd stuff about Taunt during Sarth3D last night... we had a Holy Paladin (without RF up) at Sarth healing the MT, quite a ways away--it was quite likely for him to occassionally pull aggro from Lava Spawns at the start which I would simply taunt over.

However, there were a few bizzare cases where the Lava Spawn went back to the Paladin despite me having hit it solidly for some time.

In fact, there was a really strange case where I taunted it over into an AoE zone and then it went back to the Paladin healer after some seconds even though the add was down to about 10% HP at that point. There is absolutely no way a healer on the other side of the room should be even remotely close to the top of the threatlist in that condition.

Bulk
01-30-2009, 05:53 AM
Threat is screwed right now for sure - our druid tank is having major problems, and locks and hunters were pulling aggro VERY easily from our tank team last night in HC Naxx where before they've always lead by a huge margin - the tanks last night were 2 prot warriors and a druid - the locks and hunters had to drop aggro a number of times.

jere
01-30-2009, 07:56 AM
Has any one posted it on the bug forums? It would be nice to get the devs to at least look at it.

Tarkonn
01-30-2009, 02:06 PM
I tossed up a thread in the bug report forum.

It would be nice if you guys could swing by there and add your $0.02.

BUG REPORT THREAD

jere
01-30-2009, 03:55 PM
Can you retitle it so that it reflects both warriors and pallies prety please? (it may also affect druids/DK's, but haven't heard from them)

mavfin
01-30-2009, 04:46 PM
Strange. Since patch, my warrior seems to have better glue than before. Have not observed low threat issues.

jere
01-30-2009, 05:29 PM
He is talking more about taunt issues than threat issues in general

mavfin
01-30-2009, 05:32 PM
See the thread in General. I am having zero taunt issues, too. Works same as it always has for me, including its limitations that have always been there.

Corlishan
01-31-2009, 08:30 AM
I first noticed this last night while tanking some heroics. Didn't notice too much in naxx earlier this week, but I was OT. Mobs and bosses especially would go after the rogue, even though he wasn't even 2nd on the threat list. Taunt would sporadically not work at all, or it would go right back to the other people in my party. Apparently a DK in guild was having similar issues with taunting as well.

Gnurken
01-31-2009, 10:52 AM
Most noticably on Gluth, happens that we have to taunt 3-4times in a row before "it takes". OptiTaunt addon don't react to it as a resisted taunt so I assume it's just bugged.

Macanudo
01-31-2009, 08:39 PM
I was having the exact same problem in our 25 man naxx run. On Faerlina, we didn't get her enrage off fast enough and the MT went down. I charge in and taunt then shield slam but absolutely nothing happened. She turned to me for a sec and then went right back to whatever dps she was beating on. Then we had threat issues during the initial pull on Patchwerk.

I don't remember having any problems in the 10 man I cleared earlier in the week, might be a 25 man only problem.

Llory
02-02-2009, 07:32 AM
I recall having the same issues on Gluth (normal naxx). At first I suspected that my taunt wasn't landing because i'm not hit capped, but then again the guy who was MT had lower hit rating and his taunts were landing with no issues. It was rather irritating....

Samshel
02-02-2009, 08:28 AM
I think its not naxx related issue only, since patch when i lose aggro from a mob i have to taunt and stick with it so i can generate the threat necessary to continue with the aggro, thing that never happened to me before.

smackers
02-05-2009, 03:29 PM
I noted this on another thread but I will reiterate it here. Tanked 25-man Arch last night and taunt would not send me to the top of the threat list. I would hit it and nothing would happen. Usually it pops me right to the top and gives me three seconds to establish aggro, Not so last night, I would hit it and no jump so I would have to fight my way to the top of the threat list to regain aggro. Makes for an interesting fight.

Kazeyonoma
02-05-2009, 03:37 PM
are you sure you didn't... miss your taunt?

the cloud that Arch drops gives you a 50% chance to miss, and since taunt is based off of your hit chance, you know have a 58% chance - your hit% chance to miss and do nothing.

Fledern
02-05-2009, 03:42 PM
I've previously (in the other thread) stated i didnt observe any taunt issues. Tonight i had a few but i think i can pinpoint the problem.

Taunt range got increased. If i taunt something far away, by the time it comes to me, somebody has pulled aggro again, usually the person the mob was heading for in the first place. If i taunt & slam something i'm in melee range, it's for keepers though.

Kazeyonoma
02-05-2009, 03:44 PM
this is also true, remember taunt gives you top current aggro and 3 seconds of forced aggro, if someone overtakes you after those 3 seconds are over and you haven't engaged the mob yet, you'll lose threat like normal.

Argamasilla
02-05-2009, 03:50 PM
Did you get a wws from the Arch fight?

Isegrim
02-05-2009, 04:01 PM
Paladins are experiencing the same thing. I see it happen every so often. Not sure what the cause is, but for some reason, taunt doesn't always push my threat up to the highest or the person holding aggro, though it doesn't resist either cause the target is forced to attack me for a few seconds.
This (warrior here). It's bloody annoying.

smackers
02-05-2009, 10:40 PM
are you sure you didn't... miss your taunt?

the cloud that Arch drops gives you a 50% chance to miss, and since taunt is based off of your hit chance, you know have a 58% chance - your hit% chance to miss and do nothing.

I'm sure I could have, just seemed to be strange that it was "missing" or not working since this had not been an issue in previous runs with Arch.

Tarkonn
02-06-2009, 02:19 AM
Ran a 25-arch tonight and experienced this same thing again. He lunged for our main tank, and I threw down my taunt and rotation with a full rage bar. It took roughly 3-4 seconds for Omen to register my threat. However, nobody had died so there is always the possibility that it is just Omen reporting threat wrong. I'll take a deeper look at it next week and also get a WWS for it. It may just be me watching Omen being the problem here. Either way, it's most surely showing our top ranged DPS skyrocketing past me in threat, then after 3-4 seconds, all of a sudden my threat spikes way up and I'm back on top of the chart.

Will keep you posted.

jere
02-06-2009, 05:08 AM
I honestly doubt Omen is reporting incorrectly. It is accessing data using Blizzard's API.

Tarkonn
02-06-2009, 09:09 PM
I honestly doubt Omen is reporting incorrectly. It is accessing data using Blizzard's API.

Well Jere, then explain the situation to me. Why is it that when my normal rotation puts out 5-7k TPS, it only puts out 2500ish after taunting Arch?
Just to be clear:
-Not in the cloud
-Not out of rage(start with a full bar)
-Not a rotation issue(SB/SS/rev/SW/CB/HS all being popped accordingly)

In nearly every other boss fight besides Gluth and Arch, I have 0 issues with my TPS. Magically, for a few seconds after a taunt on these two, it's as if my rotation doesn't generate any threat over 2500ish.

Tarkonn
02-06-2009, 10:01 PM

BTW Jere, it seems to be hunters and warlocks that are the DPS this occurs with too. Though, on Gluth, I find it occurs with the pally tank I run with.

OnourisofRavencrest
02-06-2009, 10:04 PM
I'm obviously not Jere nor do I know with any certainty what is causing your dillemma as I have never experienced it on either of those fights. But if you're curious about the way omen is intended to work, look at http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f200/39775-wow-3-0-threat-values-10.html#post122582 in which the author of Omen 3 sets me straight.

jere
02-07-2009, 06:01 AM
Well Jere, then explain the situation to me. Why is it that when my normal rotation puts out 5-7k TPS, it only puts out 2500ish after taunting Arch?
Just to be clear:
-Not in the cloud
-Not out of rage(start with a full bar)
-Not a rotation issue(SB/SS/rev/SW/CB/HS all being popped accordingly)

In nearly every other boss fight besides Gluth and Arch, I have 0 issues with my TPS. Magically, for a few seconds after a taunt on these two, it's as if my rotation doesn't generate any threat over 2500ish.

Take a look at the post above this one. Omen works like this:

1. Omen: Hey Blizz, what's my threat?
2. Blizz: Well, your threat is 12407698550
3. Omen: Cool thanks (displays on screen)

If there is an issue, it will most likely be on the blizzard side. I can't explain to you why it is happening (it happens to me still), but I am very sure it has little to do with omen. Omen cannot force your aggro to change, it can only report it, and it gets its values strait from asking the WoW api, so if anything is lying or bugged, it would be the api, most likely.

Hypatia
02-08-2009, 03:29 AM
Note, however, that the TPS numbers that Omen produces are calculated by smoothing the changes in the incoming raw threat values. It could be that something about how Omen does the calculation after a major jump in threat (i.e. after taunt) produces this artifact. But the TPS numbers aren't really important, anyway.

jere
02-08-2009, 07:20 AM
He was worried about DPS skyrocketing past him in threat itself. Even if the TPS numbers were off due to a smoothing algorithm problem, it wouldn't explain low threat numbers themself. Well at least in his first post he was. If it is just a TPS and not an actual threat problem, then that could be something to look at, but if it is actual threat problem, then it would be something in the API/game itself (assuming an actual problem of course).

mavfin
02-10-2009, 04:32 AM
Well, after a week or so with patch 3.0.8, I haven't found taunt to be working *any* different than it ever did on my warrior.

Good luck.

Tarkonn
02-10-2009, 05:13 AM
Well, after a week or so with patch 3.0.8, I haven't found taunt to be working *any* different than it ever did on my warrior.

Good luck.

Same to you mav.