PDA

View Full Version : Good Sarth + 1 Drake strat?

halsten
01-29-2009, 08:24 PM
Greeting all.

Like some of you I have played wow ever sense release. I've played a priest pre BC and a rogue in BC. I started playing a tank in wotlk and figured I would hop on here to ask a question or two about the sarth encounter. The past 2 weeks our guild has tried 1 drake up and we haven't been successful. I want to be of more help to my guild as a tank. So any information would be nice.

Which of the drakes is easiest to have up with sarth?
What is a good strategy to complete it?

I've heard Vesperon is easy but, was fixed in last patch. Also Tenebron sounds easy but we have problems controling the adds.

Widdox
01-29-2009, 08:36 PM
The one in the back is the easiest. Its best to tank Sarth way over on the side of the island that is closest to the zone entrance. When the fire comes from the right (center opening) the tank can move into the lava toward the zone entrance and avoid it.

The drake will land about 30 seconds into the fight on the far side of the island (away from the zone entrance). It should be tanked where sarth usually stands with the tank avoiding the fire walls just like you normally avoid sarth fire walls. DO NOT enter the portal. Just OT the adds when they spawn and AE them down. DPS the drake first. AVOID THE PURPLE CIRCLES OF DEATH. It should only take your 2 waves of adds to get the drake down. Then the boss works like normal.

Put two healers on the MT. The rest of the healers will focus on the raid and the drake tank.

Thulldar
01-30-2009, 06:53 AM
Tenebron, in the back, is the easiest to leave up.

Your problems controlling the adds can be fixed by having a prot paladin or DK tank leave their AoE aggro skill (consecrate, death and decay) on the portal. The whelps always spawn there. Bring at least 2 good AOE DPS classes and assign them to AOE the whelps and elementals whenever whelps spawn.

You'll need that DK or pally tank focused on whelps + elementals the whole fight. You could use a 3rd tank for Tenebron, but I have tanked both Sarth and Tenebron at the same time. They don't hit very hard.

This is on the 10-man difficulty. For 25, I'd say you would probably need a 3rd tank for Tenebron, but the rest would be the same.

Amandrel
02-01-2009, 01:51 PM
Its best to tank Sarth way over on the side of the island that is closest to the zone entrance. When the fire comes from the right (center opening) the tank can move into the lava toward the zone entrance and avoid it.

That's where we tank Sarth with drakes up. We position him so that he's side-on to the entrance, with the tank standing in the corner of the island. When you see the fire coming from opposite you (the right), you really don't need to move, though you can step into the lava if you want. When the fire comes from behind you, you just need to move to the left to get into the gap.

Last night was my first time tanking Sarth with drakes up and I found that moving him into position was like moving an ocean liner. On the inital pull, I smacked him a few times to get aggro & build some threat (no hunter, so no MD), then ran straight back to the magma, turned right and ran back onto that corner (turning and giving him a paw to the face every now and then if I could, to keep aggro). That put him right on the edge of the island, parallel to the lava.

After that it's just moving to the left when the flame wall comes from behind you and occasionally moving out of the "purple circles of death" that spawn under you.

Dreadski
02-07-2009, 06:50 AM
When we do 1 drake (10 or 25), I bring paladin or DK tanks for the adds only. I always tank both Sartharion and Tenebron, and blow heroism to kill Tene fast. The melee might grab a few cleaves from Sarth, but he cleaves for very little. On 10 man we run with 2 druid healers or 1 priest 1 druid, 2 tanks and 6 dps and it always goes very easily. We probably will use a different strat for 2 drakes and 3.

Tankette
02-11-2009, 07:55 AM
My guild tried this for the first time last night. I was MT on Sarth towards the instance entrance like described on this thread. On some flame waves I didn't have to move and I was in the clear. On the others I had to move so I tried going in the lava. It didn't work. I was deep in the lava, completely submerged, yet still took damage from the flame wave and worse got hit with the knock back. One of the knock backs repositioned Sarth and he fried half the party with his flame breath.

Did something get changed with Tuesday's patch? Or was I just not tanking him in the right spot or something?

Lore
02-11-2009, 07:56 AM
When people say "go in the lava to avoid the flame breath" they don't mean "dive underneath it and somehow the wall of lava doesn't hit you", they mean "run off to the side, into the lava if you have to"

you still have to not be in the path of the flame wall

Tankette
02-11-2009, 08:04 AM
Haha, that is too funny! We were taking it too literally. I can't wait to go bust my raid leader's chops.

In his defense, we just threw it together on the spur of the moment becuase we finished our Naxx wings early.

Grifendor
02-13-2009, 06:41 AM
Thank you all for the good information in this thread. The only thing my guild hasn't focused on yet is the multiple drakes up simply because of non optimal group composition(i.e. fresh 80s, melee heavy teams). I think I got all the information I need for the fight aside from you guy's opinions. We'll be starting out with the back drake up, is a DK tank still going to be preferred over the others due to mitigation, or is single drake more about add control? Thanks again for all the good information.

Kelias
02-13-2009, 06:48 AM
Our guild has only done sarth+1 so far in ten man. We ran with a non-optimal group composition for our first kill (3 tanks, 3 healers). Once the Dps learned that they needed to burn Tenebron harder and the add tank got his game together we got the kill. I think +1 is a good confidence builder, and probably much harder on 10 man then 25, which is where we're working on next.

I Pally tanked Sarth and didn't feel like it was too bad, frankly as we get better at this it's probably possible to do Sarth and one drake together.

lemysterieux
02-13-2009, 06:51 AM
Thank you all for the good information in this thread. The only thing my guild hasn't focused on yet is the multiple drakes up simply because of non optimal group composition(i.e. fresh 80s, melee heavy teams). I think I got all the information I need for the fight aside from you guy's opinions. We'll be starting out with the back drake up, is a DK tank still going to be preferred over the others due to mitigation, or is single drake more about add control? Thanks again for all the good information.

We found it very useful to use a paladin on the adds ( spawns and whelps ) and a DK with massive HP on Sarth while doing 3 drakes up. But if you intend on doing 1 drake any tank can do either, but I believe a tankadin or tanknight on the fire spawns is the best and safest way. Any tank that can produce high threat and do it fast can tank the drake(s).

Kaptain O
02-13-2009, 08:04 AM
My group just did Sarth+1drake (Tenebron) for the first time last night - we used the info in this thread and everything went smoothly. I (Warrior) tanked him on the end of the island closest to the entrance, Pally tanked him and whelps/elementals on the other end of the island. Thanks for all the info in the thread, it was a great resource.

Verja6669
02-13-2009, 10:13 PM
Good info. I want to try this in my guild but was wondering what kind of DPS needs to be put out? like 2k or what. Also if anyone knows a good site for info like how much DPS people need to be doing I would really appreciate it. Thanks

Kelias
02-16-2009, 06:20 AM
I don't have the numbers in front of me, and can't get to wowhead at work, but everything I've read says a good check is "can you burn Tenebron before the second whelp spawn" so take whatever his hp is (I think 900k on 10-man and 2.4m on 25) and divide two portal cooldowns into that, then divide by the number of dps raiders.

To be fair on +1 in ten man we ate like 3-4 whelp spawns ans still got the kill, it's more about control with just the one drake if you can manage the waves and aoe them down before the next one.

Ayne
02-19-2009, 10:27 AM
Quick question about this fight. Do the portals spawn back at the original location of the drake or do they spawn near him? I know that if you pull the drake too far forward the dps has to run to get into the portal.

Vodai
02-19-2009, 12:19 PM
The math if 75 seconds is the correct time for the 2nd wave is 2k dps for 16 people. I don't know if 75 is correct, I'm just pulling that out of my head.