PDA

View Full Version : Thaddius OT gear

Bogota
01-28-2009, 02:18 PM
We are working on Thaddius right now trying to squeeze out all the dps we can on our raiders. I was wondering what the minimum gear requirements were for tanking Stalagg and Feugen? I'd like to have the OT wear as much dps gear as possible.

windergard
01-28-2009, 02:21 PM
Still have to have the 540 cap. They still hit pretty hard. Just make sure everyone is utilizing the polarity buffs by stacking. We use a two group approach with people matching the tank polarity stacking on him, and the other group behind the boss. Range and heals need to stack on the melee including the hunters who can back up just enough to get their range.

Bulk
01-28-2009, 03:59 PM
I've done it on 10 man in full fury gear with a sword/board - my defence was somewhere in the 400 region (about 24k hp). Its all down to the healers to keep you up through the crits you take - if your healers are good (ours are full t7, some with 25 man gear) then you'll be fine.

Menkáno
01-29-2009, 12:18 AM
You don't have to squeeze the dps out of the OT. Just ensure that noone dies and that you have two grouped camps. The polarity buffs will do the rest but you will have problems when people die.

Benolan
01-29-2009, 06:54 AM
Honestly, we have some mediocre dps in our group and when we downed him we had a minute left before he enraged...

dadricvertanis
01-29-2009, 06:58 AM
10 man isn't too bad for the enrage, and like someone already stated, its more about healers in terms of how much gear you can get away with not wearing. Once your healers have solid gear and know you're going to be wearing mostly dps gear, its not bad on 10 man. Make sure you tell them you're going to try that before you do though.

Pellet
01-29-2009, 07:19 AM
As the majority of people have already said, it is down to the charge on thaddius to bring him down before the enrage, not OT dps.

However if you are concerned about your DPS, consider using a Tankadin as your MT/OT, the extra damage against undead, via Unholy wrath and Exorcisum, really adds up with that polarity buff.

dirt
01-29-2009, 07:22 AM
Thaddius is all about timing & coordination. I've only done 10man, so I'll speak on that. We have great healers that are well geared in my guild, so healing is not as much a issue for us atleast. The fight really comes down to three parts.

The mini-bosses
The jump
Rotating polarity

For us the biggest problem was missing the jump. You really only need 1 tank for him, but the real issue is if the dps miss the jump. In the 10man that really hurts you when trying to beat the enrage timer as it basically takes them out of the fight. He doesn't hit particularly hard, but you miss the polarity change and that can(and most times will) wipe the group.

austaz
01-29-2009, 01:18 PM
We find a huge difference between 10 man and 25man. In 10 man you can have 1-2 people die (20% of the raid) and still make the timer with plenty of time to spare, if people get their buffs etc. On 25man we are still finding that you need to squeeze the dps out, using players that are clearing him weekly on 10man we can only afford to loose 2 people (<10% of the raid) to maintain enough buff stacks and dps to kill him on time.

If we have low dps on a night from alts/new people or bringing too many healers (we had 9 one night somehow) then we have some healers go dps (even respeccing). It's possible to do this fight with 4 geared healers and 2 tanks so bring in 19dps to make sure you kill him. Or at the least assign a few healers to switch to full dps on the boss after you kill the adds. This works better than having all healers throw some dps occasionally or maxing the OT's dps gear.

Bogota
01-30-2009, 08:43 AM
I guess I should have mentioned that we are doing it as a 25 man. Yeah we are a casual guild and do not min/max, just ask our raiders to give it their best. We did get him with 4 seconds before enrage. I ended up OT'ing and just switched out a few trinkets for dps instead of mitigation. We had 6 healers. The thing that gimped us the most was our BM hunters (we have 3), between the heavy nerf and pets not getting the buff... But hey we got him anyway.

Thulldar
01-30-2009, 08:56 AM
Having healers do some DPS is key. Even a moonfire / shadow word pain adds up with the polarity debuffs. If you've got 7 healers not doing any DPS, the enrage will be tight even if nobody dies.

orcstar
01-30-2009, 09:00 AM
Most important thing is to have none die on the fight. Only then you should start optimizing personal dps.

Bogota
01-30-2009, 09:09 AM
Most important thing is to have none die on the fight. Only then you should start optimizing personal dps.
I agree. We spent alot of time on that!

twelveshots
02-03-2009, 01:32 PM
We only have like 3 or maybe 4 healers healing in the 25 man, otherwise they just sit there and do nothing most of the time. You need to have some pretty good dps on 25 or you will enrage him, even if everyone lives... basically a gear and competency check. In 10 man your dps can be pretty low and you shouldn't have a problem if everyone lives.

Also if people are having trouble making the jump have a mage put slowfall on them or a priest put levitate on them, that way they have to make it. also with aspect of the pack you can just run forward and you'll make it across

Kasath
02-05-2009, 02:57 AM
Feugen and Stalagg are ?? level mobs, and will crit you if you're wearing less than 540 defense.

Could you have a guy in DPS gear tank it? Sure, as long as your healers can heal through some guy in DPS gear getting crit.

As other posters have said, you don't really need to min-max that hard for this encounter. I recommend keeping your OT in full tank gear in case your MT accidentally falls off into the slime.

Harlan
02-06-2009, 03:54 AM
I pug 25man Naxx's every week. I run with 6 healers and 3 tanks. IF you guys have a feral druid, use him to tank one of the adds. I tank one in full dps gear and have no issues being healed.

Also, if your hunters are bm... try to get them to try survival. More dps and they might like it better :)

Captain Fizz
02-10-2009, 11:12 AM
I second Harlan's advice.

In full kitty gear the mini-bosses are fine to be tanked.
Heck, even Thaddius himself is OK to be tanked in full kitty gear. :P
(After we had an MT that DC'd at 40%)

I would imagine that a DPS warr with a shield, maybe a trinket or so would be fine.

Lachesis
02-13-2009, 10:21 AM
I usually dps that entire fight, but when I end up tanking in phase one (one of our other tanks sometimes has connection issues), I still wear my dps gear. I'm a feral druid, though, so a lot of my gear has the same stats- I only lose a few percent dodge and armor mitigation, and about 4k hp, which still leaves me higher than most tanks when they're first starting in naxx.
If you have a feral druid, it may be beneficial to have him tank one of the adds in dps gear, and have the tank that would have been tanking spec fury or ret for that fight.

Another quick tip: blowing bloodlust (heroism) as soon as thaddius activates and the main tank establishes initial threat can leave you room for a second one just before the enrage, provided you have two shamans, of course.

Edit: I see someone already covered the feral option >.< Well, now you have more people saying it works. DO IT! :P