PDA

View Full Version : Hunter DPS

Galexior
01-28-2009, 11:18 AM
I couldnt find the right place to post this, so i am posting it here.

As a lvl 80 hunter, i feel my gear is respectable. i have 2/5 T7 and heroic blues and purples. i have only one green left, and i cant get something to drop that is better than it. in heroics, i command second place usually in DPS, wiht about 1200 dps, but it feels like it could be higher. in 10 mans, i get a measly 5th, and i am near bottom in 25 mans. i dont understand why i am so low. i am Beast mastery specced, and i have a good pet, and i feel my shot rotation is good, but i cant figure our why my DPS seems so low. i have 3200 AP.

on non elite mobs, i hit for about 800 a shot, but in heroics, and raids, i hit for only 500, even when buffed. do i need more armor penetration?

any and all help is appriciated. thanks.

Volador
01-28-2009, 11:27 AM
I didn't go through all of your gear, but I can tell you this. As a BM spec'd hunter, the tier gear isn't great. The three worst stats for a BM hunter that some folks still stack:

Expertise (has NO effect on ranged attacks)
Armor Penetration (with any other class in your group/raid that can lower a mobs armor, the effectivness drops to abysmal levels)
Haste (with 5/5 in Serpent's Swiftness hastes only effect is to get mana back quicker with AotV)

Arcasia
01-28-2009, 04:30 PM
how do you only do 1200 dps in a heroic?

all you need to do is keep ur sting up and spam steady shot...

i dont see how any 80 is doing only 1200. not trying to be rude or anything but 1200?

Galushi
01-28-2009, 04:39 PM
After 3.0.8 released, you need to weave in Arcane shot everytime it is up. Now it does significantly more damage then steady shot, and costs the same amount of mana.

Make sure your pet is specced properly (cant tell with armory). IE: it needs all the dmg talents and Avoidance 3/3 to stay alive.

You're missing a number of key BM talents such as pet crit and pet flurry. And your hit is about 100 rating under cap so that should be the first thing you gem. Try using a BM spec similar to this.

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=ctbMztxRwuMest0eVd)

What Glyphs are you using, whats your shot rotation? I have a hard time believeing you can only do 1200 dps even with that gear as it should be possible to do over 2k on something like Patchwerk even in 10man the day you hit 80. I believe the day i hit 80 i did around 2200 dps on Patchwerk 10man as a Marksman spec.

If you dont like BM, Survival is very very strong right now. Survival is also great on mana efficiency so you dont have to use Viper very much at all. With a Judgement of Wisdom up, i never had to use viper last night in 25man. My spec is here. The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Kilrogg&n=Valorthorn)

sorednbored
02-03-2009, 06:28 PM
If you dont like BM, Survival is very very strong right now. Survival is also great on mana efficiency so you dont have to use Viper very much at all. With a Judgement of Wisdom up, i never had to use viper last night in 25man. My spec is here. The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Kilrogg&n=Valorthorn)

I also heard Survival may now be King. Can you elaborate a little on your specs, the Stats you look for and your shot rotation and/or macros.

My GF is a Huntard (Night Elf, Female, Hunter - ya rly) and she's just interested in having a bow and a butterfly as a pet, while I trawl through theorycrafting and nerdy sites such as this one.

Due to anally analysing my own Toons constantly, I have no time to geek-craft about Hunters. So if you can say "Spec like this, do this and then this, this and this", that'd be awesome and I can just keep her DPS nice and high so she seems like she's a good player ;)

Irat
02-03-2009, 07:03 PM
Its true, the days of survival are here.

Basically just take all the damage talents down the tree, make sure you have LnL and Explosive shot and then go crazy.

Shot rotation is:
Serpent -> Explosive -> Steady/Aimed/Arcane until explosive is off cooldown (should be 3 if you are haste capped.)

When you get LnL procs:
Explosive -> Steady -> Explosive

There are two ways of spec’ing with Survival, Trap Dancing and Sniper. For sniper you just want to take your long range talents and sit as far back as possible. For Trap dancing (which is the highest dps for a hunter atm) you want to take all damage mod trap talents then basically ever 30sec you step into the boss/mob drop an immolation trap and step out. This gives you a little burst damage but also guarantees a LnL proc but is much harder to pull off.

Galexior
02-08-2009, 06:07 PM
i have been working my gear up a bit, paying more attn to little things, like my timing, i have fixed my spec, but i still need to work arcane shot into my rotation.

i am using glyph of serpent sting (+3 sec duration), volley (-20% mana cost), and i cant remember my other major.

after doing the tweaks i have said, my DPS was boosted significantly. i did top damage in heroic UK, beating the mage by a tiny bit, my DPS is at 1800 now, that was just in H UK, i am estimating it will be about 2000-2100 or even higher in a raid, but i havent been able to find out yet.

thanks so much for the help.

Irat
02-08-2009, 06:11 PM
Grats Mate, Good work.

Glad we could all be of assistance.

Leytur
02-08-2009, 06:39 PM
Glad you got the rotation figured out. To get your DPS to 2200+ you'll probably need some enchants. You've got like 2. :D

I haven't weaved arcane shot in. Will hit a dummy up later.

Leytur
02-13-2009, 05:12 AM
Bump this for the post un-nerf patch.

I'm liking BM again. When I can keep my pet alive (only died once on sarth!) I'm doing damn good. Even with that one death did 2913 on Sarth. I'll take that in my barely over half epics.

1shadowwolf
02-17-2009, 12:35 PM
dude ur doing 1200 right well i do 1500 if i try in survival without a pet but my gear kinda sucks what i do is i try to do stuff like running up to the opponet setting a trap rapter strike than disengage u take a risk of death but it increases ur dps by like 300-400 and my shot rotation is
1. Explosive
2. serpent sting
3 aimed shot/multi shot
4. steady shot

what u need to do is get a better gun seriously tahtts a big part of the reason it will drop ur dps like by a 100 points with thatone i suggest peirces pistal or drak mountd from heroic or theres a purple bow from nax xx with i can think of the name of

Leytur
02-20-2009, 03:13 PM
punctuation dude.