PDA

View Full Version : Malygos 25 man threat issues

Bragoon
01-26-2009, 10:35 PM
So I just joined a new guild that is working on 25 man malygos, I came from a guild just raiding 10 man really so I am 10 man geared, I pulled about 5-6k tps on him 7-8k tps on him during BL, but still DPS was RIGHT on my tail 95%, they didnt slow down because we made third phase with 4 minutes but ugh, i feel like a really horribad tank atm.

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Black+Dragonflight&n=Bragoon)

My rotation works well, I pull 8-9k tps on 25 man patch. Will the threat come with the gear? Is that all that is left too get too push my tps?

Cheskagarcia
01-27-2009, 12:34 AM
8-9k tps on 25man patch is great if not godly if that's based on wws/wowmeteronline parse.

otherwise if that's based on omen/ktm/in-game threat meters and you are losing aggro then pick up that hit trinket from heroic nexus (hit/ap) and some other hit pieces. 8% or 265ish is the number to get on hit to ensure most of your yellow hits won't miss. but they can still be dodged up to 26ish expertise and finally removed parried at 50ish expertise.

Seid
01-27-2009, 01:03 AM
Yeah, from what I see, you really need to work up for hit and expertise. Try levelling your JC to get those nice gems, and your BS to get 3 more extra slots for your stuff.

jlafleur
01-27-2009, 02:23 PM
8k+ TPS would probably equate to 3.5k+ dps. 9k is about 4k dps. How exactly are you determining your TPS? Using a TPS parser based on a WWS report? Xav did 7935 TPS on Patchwerk a few weeks ago when outputting like 3410 dps.

Bragoon
01-27-2009, 03:17 PM
8k+ TPS would probably equate to 3.5k+ dps. 9k is about 4k dps. How exactly are you determining your TPS? Using a TPS parser based on a WWS report? Xav did 7935 TPS on Patchwerk a few weeks ago when outputting like 3410 dps.

When i said 8-9k i was a bit exaggerating :P Normally it is at 6-6.5k peaking at 10k during Bl.

Hopefully the threat will come with upgrades
(last laugh please)

Wrath
01-28-2009, 04:47 AM
again "How exactly are you determining your TPS?" ^^

let me guess - omen ? :cool:

Bragoon
01-28-2009, 11:01 AM
mhm, I have yet too find a good sustained threat mod.
Know any?

Wrath
01-29-2009, 06:56 AM
sorry m8, since threat isnt any issue at all since WotlK (at least for my tank colleague and me) i dont really know if there is something new... i used to do it via pasting our wws logs into a sustained-threat calculater, someone hosted on his website...

the only classes that are close to get us sometimes are our furys or sometimes the warlocks on some encounters... but then again, just throw your vigilance on them and its fine :)

Magnatitus
01-29-2009, 09:40 AM
If threat isnt an issue on 25 man Malygos, your DPS is lacking or you are not getting sparks stacked.

Vigilance - I forget it all the time... but its nice.

Keep rend up, utilize shockwave + conc blow when SS and Rev are on cooldown.. Then when Vortex is about to happen, intervene the fury warrior, since they dont have an aggro reduction ability. Also use your paladins to put Salv on higher threat players without a threat dump (i.e. vanish, invis, shatter)

DPS need to make sure they arent passing you. If a DPS gets aggro during a vortex and the raid gets the breath... thats bad.

Kazeyonoma
01-29-2009, 11:35 AM
yeh I've found out yesterday that dps'ers during vortexes are bad, they need to watch their threat since warrior tanks can't generate aggro in the vortex while paladins and maybe DKs can.

Wrath
01-30-2009, 05:04 AM
If threat isnt an issue on 25 man Malygos, your DPS is lacking or you are not getting sparks stacked.

Nope, Malygos of course is a highly threat dependent encounter (the only one so far) - sorry, i meant that i dont know any new sustained-threat-analysis tools since i dont have major threat issues in WotLK in general...

On Malygos its the tanks job to keep the threat ceiling as high as possible and the dps have to adjust - as you mentioned there are a few ways to support the aggro gain... like rend,intervene,vigilance, misdirections from hunters etc...

Kojiyama
01-30-2009, 06:41 AM
It is worth noting that he is tauntable, so a taunt towards the end of a Vortex can make up the difference if DPS Warriors or other classes are doing crazy threat during the Vortex due to them still being 'in range' or rolling huge Deep Wounds ticks.

Also, if you tend to tank him a bit towards the edge and stack buffs in the center of the arena you can sometimes get in a multiplied shield slam before he lands and you have to start pulling him away from the center again--which deals a pretty huge amount of threat.

bigbully
01-31-2009, 11:11 AM
Also if warlocks are your problem, it's probably because they are able to port down to the ground during vortex and continue to dps normally. If they're doing this, they need to be very careful. I'm not a warrior, but it might be worth it to throw up a rend right before vortex? I know I started ensuring that my lacerate was fully refreshed just before takeoff and it helped me a lot with this issue.

Cheskagarcia
01-31-2009, 12:09 PM
this is true, i haven't had a threat mod like omen since the start of wotlk. instead i just base my threat on how much damage i'm doing

squats
01-31-2009, 12:26 PM
this is true, i haven't had a threat mod like omen since the start of wotlk. instead i just base my threat on how much damage i'm doing
really? i watch omen like crazy.. its like recount.. but for tanks

Tankette
02-02-2009, 01:50 PM
I just started doing 10 man Maly this weekend so I don't know much but I noticed that about half of the voretexes (or would that be vortices?) I can still do melee and keep building threat while in the air. And on those I can't there's always a taunt to get me back on top of threat. The Locks typically pass me since they can portal out and do full dps but they haven't ever gone to 130% and pulled aggro. I keep vigilence on one of them, which helps. We got phase 1 and 2 down but were clueless on phase 3, lol.

Fledern
02-04-2009, 05:14 AM
I've tried only Maly10 yet and while it looks ok for now, i'm foreseeing issues. My overall threat is MUCH lower (yes i'm looking at omen but looking at it over some time - btw, you can adjust omen calculation timewindow to get better pictures of your performance). While i've never had issues of dps overaggroing, we havent been able to kill him due to hitting the enrage timer so i guess my threat IS an issue.

From my try, he always landed in the middle after a vortex where i ss'd him & pulled him to the side. I always chose the farthest side from a spark & raid made a point of standing on the spark side so no breath issues.

How do you guys generate threat on Maly? I'm talking about while positioning. Normally i'm not bad at strafetanking but with such a huge mob & circular path, i'm afraid of turning a little too much & getting pwnd. Backpedalling is too slow to run away on sparks.

orcstar
02-04-2009, 05:21 AM
On malygos you really need to learn to use your skills properly while also (strafe)moving the boss. My fix for that was to bind strafe left and strafe right and backwards to mousebuttons, it takes some practice but it's well worth it. If you get used to it, it makes positioning during a fight a lot easier.

Also ofcourse use vigilance and right before the raid is thrown up in the air you've got enough time to intervene someone. Intervening really helps.

zaltais
02-17-2009, 07:28 AM
I also had a lot of issues with threat the first times I tanked Malygos.

A few notes:

- Make sure to use Vigilance on the highest threat
- Intervene the person with the highest accumulated threat just before Vortex
- Up to the first Vortex, no sparks will have time to reach no matter where you position him, so this is a good time to make sure you have a big threat lead.
- If you have hunters or rogues, ask them to MD and tricks of the trade.
- Taunt just before Vortex is over so you catch anything that's passed you during.