PDA

View Full Version : Grobbulus problems

Rev13
01-24-2009, 08:07 PM
another week, another roadblock

~7% best attempt.

Our strat that we used today was: MT auto-walks around the grate, OT picks up slimes, raid moves behind (and notably, through clouds) Grob and to the farthest wall and waits for inject. duration, then moves back into middle. melee dps fight from the back *or* from inside the grate (the inner platform area) on Grobs right side.

The issue seems to be when he speeds up his injections theres too much movement and not enough dps/healing going on. I cant imagine this is a gear "check" fight. Also, I havent noticed any benefit from the Hunter aspect.

Any suggestions or glaring things we're doing wrong?

blackhand
01-24-2009, 09:52 PM
We have our tanks make enough room between each injection that it gives a large enough gap for people to leave their injections, that makes their run much less than what it sounds like your players are doing. Also we tank him through the whole room and not jut around the grate but you might be doing the same.

Rev13
01-25-2009, 07:52 AM
Thanks for the response. Watching ciders vid I saw that he moved Grob when he saw a cloud drop, he didnt auto walk and tank like ours is. Its also worth noting that using the grate as a path for the tank doesnt leave alot of real estate for the dps/healers to get into range, some were at max like Heigan is now

Now that I think about it the auto-walk might be the problem, we may not be getting a big enough gap in clouds. I dunno

Nixxo
01-26-2009, 12:12 AM
When i main tank Grob, for the most part my guild does the same as Cider's video but I constantly move backwards slowly, occasionally stopping if i get to far ahead of Grob. The person who gets injected always goes right behind Grob to lay the cloud, since we're constantly moving there is always room behind him.

Another thing to note, the slimes do a constant AoE dmg that can be hard if your OT is pulling them towards the casters/ranged dps, be sure to have him tank the slimes by Grob where they spawn or away from anyone besides melee dps that is helping kill them.

Other then that, be sure to always have Grob facing you and not towards the raid, and all dps is always to Grob's side/behind him.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Bokeh
01-26-2009, 12:31 AM
At what time are you using your heroism? We found the first few times that it's generally worth saving it till 35% where he starts doing more injections. Even with the more time lost from injections you make up for it with bringing him down faster during that phase.

Also, how are you handling cleansing? Single healer plus running to whatever safe spot trailing grob? Because if you have him below 35% you might as well tell the dps to go to the closest wall they can find, at that point the tank won't have to kite him far enough anymore, as long as they don't drop it in front of the tank.

And lastly, do you have some wws reports? I have a gut feeling your dps might not be doing everything they can because he really should go down fairly quickly at 35% or lower, even with multiple injections going.

Ferim
01-26-2009, 02:16 AM
I really need to watch the ciderhelm video's I have the problem is that I don't move him enough. I actually to try and not main tank this....which is understandable because feral dps puts out more dps than a prot pally.

Xav
01-26-2009, 06:18 AM
If you're having difficulty killing Grobblus in a clean way due to low raid dps, you may want to try doing something that sounds counter intuitive. Move grobbulus as little as possible, letting your tank and melee sit in a freshly formed cloud for a while until they move. I find new clouds seem to not tick at all, or tick for extremely minimal amounts.

This will let everyone DPS grobbulus longer before requiring to move. When anyone gets an injection, have them "drop" it either in the back behind grobbulus so that other melee aren't hit by it, or behind the ranged clump in an area that wont infringe upon the caster's space.

Keep things like healing stream and judgement of light up for the melee so that way the poison cloud's aoe damage is mitigated when it does start to come around.

What should end up happening is your caster clump simply "pivots" to keep nuking Grobb the whole time, and your melee only take a few steps now and then to barely outrange a cloud, and not have to chase Grobbulus all over the place as he slides on his rollerskates confused.

Rev13
02-02-2009, 01:15 PM
At what time are you using your heroism? We found the first few times that it's generally worth saving it till 35% where he starts doing more injections. Even with the more time lost from injections you make up for it with bringing him down faster during that phase.

Also, how are you handling cleansing? Single healer plus running to whatever safe spot trailing grob? Because if you have him below 35% you might as well tell the dps to go to the closest wall they can find, at that point the tank won't have to kite him far enough anymore, as long as they don't drop it in front of the tank.

And lastly, do you have some wws reports? I have a gut feeling your dps might not be doing everything they can because he really should go down fairly quickly at 35% or lower, even with multiple injections going.

well, I was pugged in by some folks on saturday for my first grob kill, and I led their recount at 1.8K (which is sick sad and pathetic, thanks Blizz) And these folks also kited him around the grates.

The difference I noticed was twofold: Better raid healing (that frees up my potion for a haste pot or mana pot) and better overall dps

macfeagle
02-02-2009, 02:04 PM
This is definitely a place where a new raid can get stuck, and occasionally where a farm raid can have a setback.

There is not a magic answer regarding anything. I've tanked him slow and I've tanked him so fast I've run into a leftover cloud -- both work.

If people don't have a boss mod they may miss injections, which is bad, so this is one reason why a boss mod is mandatory in my raid. If people don't have spell detail up, they may be kind of clueless about poison cloud locations, as well.

I would not have melee standing in poison ever, and I would hope that slimes can be killed very quickly, before they pose a problem.

The "turn around and spray" problem still seems to exist, but if this is killing your raid I would count it as bad luck and gloss over it and try again.

I think the largest problem here is that this is a fight that requires everyone to have a certain amount of raid intelligence. Fights where the tanks and healers have to be smart seem to be easier to master than fights where the whole raid has to be smart. And what they have to be smart about is noticing they are injected, getting to a good spot quickly, and getting back in the fight.

law90026
02-02-2009, 05:56 PM
raid moves behind (and notably, through clouds) Grob and to the farthest wall and waits for inject. duration, then moves back into middle. melee dps fight from the back *or* from inside the grate (the inner platform area) on Grobs right side.

So people are actually running through a whole mass of clouds in order to get to the far wall to explode? Aren't they taking a lot of damage if that's the case?

Personally, we used the Ciderhelm method as well. Have your MT move everytime Grobb forms a gas cloud beneath him (there's an animation for it). Don't just back up a little but move back by quite a bit. This leaves the space between the gas clouds for people to explode. This will help your attempts because:

a) less distance to run;
b) less damage taken.

If you do it right, you'll still have plenty of space to kite Grob around the room again for the last few percentage points.

Also, 1800 dps for the top dps'er is really low. This fight is actually a pseudo dps race, not in the sense of a fast enrage timer (though he will enrage after a bit) but because, as you pointed out, his injections will start to come more frequently.

Having said that, we found this to be one of the harder bosses in 10-man Naxx when we first started out, so I can feel your pain.

Posolutely
02-02-2009, 06:40 PM
My raids strategy, with myself MTing:

I turn auto-run off, and constantly walk backwards. What this does, is gives the melee (who are running between slimes and grob) a solid, smooth reckoning of where to be.

They should *never* be behind him. They should always be on his side, attacking his ankle.

Kiting him outside of the grate, gives much more real estate for your healers and your ranged dps to move. We have ranged stay on him the entire time, and melee focus on killing the slimes, and then dpsing Grob when they can.

Also, by constantly walking, I've never had a problem with him spraying the raid and spawning bunches of slimes.