PDA

View Full Version : Extreme aggro holding problems, death knight.

cptwafflez
01-24-2009, 09:07 PM
Hey guys, I just recently registered on this site today because I was refferred to it from a friend, idk his name on here though. Anywho, I was running H HoL today, and I was going to pull the first boss, General Benjamin or whatever, I use Death and Decay, Plague strike, Icy touch, Pestilence, Blood boil, Pestilence. Which is my normal rotation, and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't but I COULD NOT hold aggro for the lift of me, no matter what I did. I'm not sure where to post this so I posted it here and in general discussion, i'm sorry if I was wrong to do so.

Here's my talent tree.

I'm open to any and all suggestions.
Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=j)

Here's my Armory.
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Fizzcrank&n=Cptwafflez)

Idk why it says I have that low of armor, But it's at 25988 right now, thanks again guys.

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/images/misc/progress.gif

sawzz
01-25-2009, 03:36 PM
As frost i usually ope with IT, PS, PEST, BS, HB the i drop DD as soon as the runes are availible. This should get you solid agro on as 3 or 4 mobs. Also if Deathchill is up pop it before you hit HB.

Raenor
01-26-2009, 05:05 AM
I do almost the same as sawzz. I use IT, PS, PEST, HB, blood boil, BS. (this gets your blade barrier up) After that I wait for my runes to come out of cooldown to put down D&D.

Satorri
01-26-2009, 08:06 AM
At a glance I can't pick out some things I can definitely spot as problems. For starters, do NOT use pestilence for threat. Even for Blood, the damage just makes it drop your threat less when you use it. Blood Strike is your best money as frost up to 3 targets, for 4 or more you'll get the best total gain for BB, though you should still pick your move depending on whether you need to hold the group more, or the main target.

Here's the tricky/scary part. If you're frost, you really need to trust in HB over DnD for aoe threat. It can be useful for gathering a pull to drop DnD at first, but I would not drop it on CD, and I'd stick to using it when you can drop it in advance to minimize it's effect on the rest of your rotation. Your priority needs to be to get Frost Fever (and Blood Plague when you can help it) on everything in the pull, then ping HB every chance you get. Doing that with Deathchill early on will go a long way.

For talents, if you're struggling to hold threat, one major thing I can see is Bladed Armor. Even with your new tanking gear, that talent is singularly worth 140+ ap PER POINT. The first talent I'd drop is Merciless Combat. This is a weak gain, and a talent aimed at burning down a boss in the enrage zone. You aren't the dps so I wouldn't worry too much about that, if you're starting with threat problems, buffing your threat at 35% target health (read: boss only) is not very helpful. If you were going to sub points elsewhere, I'd take from Glaciar Rot next, it's the least universal multiplier, and probably the easiest to lose. Putting at least those 4 points in Bladed Armor will give you a distinct buff (~580 AP is huge). I'd certainly drop Unholy Command as well for other talents. The goal is to keep ahead of your group on threat, not to use your pulls/taunts on CD to keep them reined in, right?

Your gear is pretty light, so if you're running heroics with Naxx geared folks, it wouldn't surprise me if they can blow past your threat. Keep an eye out for tanking pieces with hit rating and expertise on them, both those stats are low for you and the miss/dodge/parries will hurt you for sure on threat. Here's the hard thing to do in the current state of mind in the game: If you are running with dps who outgear you distinctly, just talk to them first and explain. Tell them that your gear is still raw and your threat is not game-winning, and ask them to wait slightly and/or keep their dps in check. Sometimes this is needed, and while no tank wants to admit they aren't god-like, it's better that than to have the group get frustrated and give up because they keep pulling threat and dying (because they were too busy to pay attention to their threat in the first place... >.>).

Hang in there, there's only up to go from here.

sawzz
01-26-2009, 11:20 AM
I thought of something else.

When i first started running heorics with barely exceptable gear I would mark one mob with a skull. I would then ask the group to single dps that target down before they start aoe. This will you plenty of head start on threat and will really only give you one mob to worry about for the first 10 secs or so.

And while we are at it. Threat althought much easier to deal with now is still the responsibility of the dps to manage thier agro. If someone is stupid enough to continue to attack a mob even though they can plainly see they are going to pull agro. Let them die a few times, that will usuallly calm them down some.

Satorri
01-26-2009, 11:49 AM
Couldn't agree with you more. =)

Though it doesn't always calm them down to let them die, sometimes it makes them pissy, but that's about the time you can remind them that it is still up to them not to pull threat.