PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting DPS using the test dummy

ceffo
01-20-2009, 05:50 AM
I have been using the heroic test dummies (skull) in org to measure dps and running a 5 min wowebstats on them before recruiting. (im using 5 min as it is the average boss fight enrage time in 10s and 25s)

Ive set the becnhmark at 1600 dps for 10s unbuffed. and hence will also be a min for 25s.

I once measured a dk (dps) at 2100 dps (full 10man raid buffs) on the dummy but on 10mans was pushing only around 1780-1980 and that was with procs going off.

Question here is - Is the dummy ok to use as a reasonable means of measuring dps?

If there are other ways im open to suggestions..

edit

(in BC i used to take DPS to Dr Doom and have a healer heal the DPS)

dunno if there are any mobs like that in wotlk

cheers

Amnith
01-20-2009, 06:02 AM
The dummy doesn't count raid buffs and debuffs, so the DPS recorded there will usually be substantially lower for many classes. Especially melee, since you for instance wouldn't get the necessary Sunder Armors to reduce the boss' armor. It should be more of a guideline than an absolute measure.

Dozer.V2
01-20-2009, 06:02 AM
Id never use a dummy to measure someones abilities. Standing still spanking a dummy with a perfect rotation you read of the web does not make you a good player. Most encounters involves more than standing in 1 spot klicking the keyboard.

Amnith
01-20-2009, 06:07 AM
Id never use a dummy to measure someones abilities. Standing still spanking a dummy with a perfect rotation you read of the web does not make you a good player. Most encounters involves more than standing in 1 spot klicking the keyboard.

True, but if a player yields 700 DPS at the dummy, you should raise an eyebrow or two :p

ceffo
01-20-2009, 06:12 AM
True, but if a player yields 700 DPS at the dummy, you should raise an eyebrow or two :p

Yeahe had one mage with 850 dps (on the dummy). So then we took him on a 5man heroic because he was adamant (sp?) he could push 1100 (still below min naxx). Even with a ret pally/boomkin/kings/food buffs in the group he barely managed 1050 buffed in Heroic Uk.

hence my question about the dummy

Erja
01-20-2009, 06:12 AM
It would be slightly more work, but I would suggest taking potential recruits through a few of the more challenging heroics and measure both their sustained dps throughout the run and dps on boss fights. That's probably a more accurate measure of ability - both knowing how to crank out good dps and watch threat, positioning, interrupts, etc.

ceffo
01-20-2009, 06:16 AM
Erja.. Ive been leaning that way and im aware it is the better/accurate benchmark but sometimes.. The guildies roll eyes at such a thought. We once churned through 6-7 applicants in a week recently and getting fulll epic geared naxx guys to run heroics for new recruits gets a bit iffy.

spekazy
01-20-2009, 11:04 AM
I would say have them do the test dummy and if they reach a certain DPs take them into Eieth UP or HoL Heroic to see there Game

dyls
01-22-2009, 06:36 PM
Using a target dummy to test applicants is like using a blood test to determine paternity.

It cannot tell you if they ARE definitely ready.

But it can tell you if they are definitely NOT ready.

orcstar
01-23-2009, 02:00 AM
You need a new recruit if there's a problem. (you can't fill your raid or you can't always fill it)
So, if I take on a new recruit I take him on a raid to see if he performs, then a guildie has to sit out. A raid is the only environment where you can see if someone performs.

Guildmembers know that's the way we recruit and test to give trials a fair chance to prove themselves.

Dhalphir
01-23-2009, 02:11 AM
Using a target dummy to test applicants is like using a blood test to determine paternity.

It cannot tell you if they ARE definitely ready.

But it can tell you if they are definitely NOT ready.
I agree with this.

The dummies won't tell you if someone can do the DPS you require, but if they're terrible, its a good way to weed them out without wasting your time taking them on a raid.

onimarishu
01-23-2009, 02:21 AM
The Dummy is good for testing "Standing Still DPS". Fights like the Instructor, Patchwerk, eh kinda Gluth, Noth. Most all other fights in naxx require some movement, have adds, debuffs, or buffs that will skew the DPS in one way or another.

spekazy
01-26-2009, 11:16 PM
There are some heroic bosses that require Dps to think on there feet... for example if a person meets the required Dps on a dummy take them to only kindom hero and se how they react to the last boss, or go to Loken in HoL to see if they can move. try to challange them that way none of your guildie need to sit out of a raid.

minrog
02-02-2009, 01:27 PM
We always just stand clumped up on Loken and DPS burn. :)

I like the concept of doing a test dummy DPS run. 5 minutes may be too long for some classes if they are missing raid buffs though. Warlocks and Mages come to mind as having longevity issues when unbuffed. My wife plays an Arcane Mage and on long cycle tests she could only sustain her rotation for 2 minutes 20 seconds before going oom and it caused 25-30 second gaps where she wasn't doing anything. In the raid she can go nearly indefinitely because of replenishment/Bwis/kings/motw. Based on the target dummy results I almost recommended going back to FFB spec but in the raid environment she went from 3000 patchwerk dps to 4000 with the switch.

Halgreg
02-02-2009, 02:31 PM
Also, if you wanted to test them in moving situations, you could perhaps designate specific places for them to stand, like Location A, Location B, then Location C.

Have them DPS the dummy, then on vent, randomly tell them "Move to Location...." and then choose A, B, or C, then have them continue DPS. That could somewhat simulate having to DPS and move for bosses.

That may be a bit overboard, but I just thought I'd throw it out there :)

Clav
02-05-2009, 02:41 AM
We have an application form. You can usually judge quite well by how well it is written and their armoury as to how they will do in raids. If someone wanted to make me dps a dummy to get in I wouldn't bother joining..

Mandorellan
02-05-2009, 05:24 AM
We have an application form. You can usually judge quite well by how well it is written and their armoury as to how they will do in raids. If someone wanted to make me dps a dummy to get in I wouldn't bother joining..

i disagree with this. just because someone can speak/write perfect english and has managed to get great gear, doesnt mean theyre a great player. We have some players in our guild that are full epic Naxx25 gear, and they speak/write perfect english, their nice people, but their dps sucks, as does their awareness of whats going on around them in a raid. The reason is that we have quite a few "older" gamers who get their gear cause we take them on our raids. We have the dps available to balance out the dps they are lacking. But if one of these would apply to you, you would probably accept them straight away because of their gear and english?

No, i think the combination of using a test dummy + WWS to see their rotations and unbuffed dps and then going on a heroic like HoL or Old Kingdom is a good way to see how well they play.