PDA

View Full Version : Beyond DPS: How to use WWS properly

KythTur
01-19-2009, 12:04 PM
I couldn't really find another forum for this topic, so I hope this is okay and helpful to people.

I also know it's not about tanking -- but I know that a lot of tanks end up looking at WWS and asking themselves "where are we going wrong?" so this may be a good topic anyways.

Lots of players just look at the DPS numbers in WWS and assume it "close enough" reflects people's skill.

To try to combat this, I'm writing a series of posts about how to properly use WWS to look at your DPS.

They have pictures and stuff so aren't easy to paste in, but here's the links so far:

Beyond DPS (Part 1): Understanding the class detail page (http://www.stratfu.com/blog/2009/01/beyond-dps-part-1-understanding-the-class-detail-page/)
Beyond DPS (Part 2): Interpreting the Numbers (http://www.stratfu.com/blog/2009/01/beyond-dps-part-2-interpreting-the-numbers/)
Beyond DPS (Part 3): And a little bit of math (http://www.stratfu.com/blog/2009/01/beyond-dps-part-3/)

The introduction:

A very common error I see in raidleaders is not knowing how to use tools like WWS. I had a guildleader talking to me a few weeks ago about their Sarth 3D kill, and he casually said “Yeah we sat mage X because his dps is just terrible, and he’s in the best gear we can give him.”

So I asked him for the WWS link and looked at it.

Mage X was actually their best mage, but he was undergeared by about 20% relative to the other mages. He was the only one actually using the proper set of abilities on a raid. Now, perhaps he was the right person to sit since what mattered was sheer dps. But then the raidleader said to me:

So you’re trying to tell me that mage X is our best mage? Really? We thought he was the worst…

At the end I have a list of future topics:

* the personal detail page, including the buffs/debuffs.
* Analyzing a raid after the fact: were people damaging the right mobs?
* Signs of bad play to look for in various classes
* How to use the death log information (and why we hate priests)
* WWS Filters for fun and profit
* How to use “Who Heals Whom” and “Who Hits Whom”

If there's anything else that would be useful, please let me know.

Rak
01-19-2009, 12:06 PM
Your other thread here didn't get responses and your forum on StratFu isn't really active yet so let me say that I have been checking StratFu (and TardFactor) daily for weeks now and they are excellent sites.

KythTur
01-19-2009, 12:14 PM
Your other thread here didn't get responses and your forum on StratFu isn't really active yet so let me say that I have been checking StratFu (and TardFactor) daily for weeks now and they are excellent sites.

Thanks :). I'm doing it because I enjoy it, but it's always good to hear people enjoying the content.

I'm glad I made your daily list, but I also know how crowded that list can get -- I read tons (tankspot among them, obviously) and some days I'm embarrassed at how much time has passed when I'm done my daily rounds.

Alent
01-19-2009, 12:55 PM
Excellent.

This is basically what I had to figure out myself when I started using WMO to parse our fights. I wish I'd had this handy two months ago. :D

Now, sadly, if only these parsing programs could parse the chance of people standing in fire.

Kranmar
01-22-2009, 03:50 AM
Very useful, I'm going to add a link to these articles on our guild forums for my class leaders.