PDA

View Full Version : Hiding New Applications?

Wreckface
01-19-2009, 07:18 AM
This is my first thread on TS, although I have been an avid reader for years.

My frustration and question is this. I have surfed many guild websites through out the years, and always stumble upon their forums. A lot of them are able to hide their applications automatically once the application is posted into the specified board.

I was wondering how they were accomplishing this? Is it the board type they are using? I am currently using PhPBB. Is it possibly a board application that is running? I would really love to implement this and can't really seem to find anything on the web when searching.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Wreckface

Ohnoto
01-19-2009, 07:25 AM
It is an option on some sites that allow the applications to go into a specific forum section, which then you have those permissions set to non-public.

As far as simple sites that are just forums, I have not seen these. Its sites like Guild Launch Guild Hosting for MMORPG and FPS clans and guilds (http://www.guildlaunch.com) and Guildomatic : World of Warcraft Guild Hosting (http://www.guildomatic.com) that have them

Satrina
01-19-2009, 07:39 AM
We move all applications to a forum that is viewable by guild members only when someone is accepted as a recruit. You could just as easily move all applications as they go up.

Warwench
01-19-2009, 07:41 AM
it might be possible to set permissions on a forum where you are able to post a therad, but the general public cannot read that forum.

it's gonna be very specific to the site/software being used.

Wreckface
01-19-2009, 07:59 AM
I've seen the hosted guild sites, and they are great, just not quite what we are looking for.

As far as the software goes, I'm running no additional addons to our forums. Just plain old PHPBB 3.02

I could manually move them into a hidden board, but that would require knowing when someone posts an application, as well as being near a computer.

I'm seriously thinking I just need new board software to do this. I have a feeling that it's a limitation of PHPBB. As I can't find anything in the permissions or notifications, that would lead me to believe I can accomplish it without an addon or other board style.

I would happily change just for this feature alone.

Wreckface
01-19-2009, 08:02 AM
Another twist to this issue is that I would still like the application viewable by the poster. That way when we reply with questions or what have you, they can see and reply.

Thanks for the quick responses guys, it's really appreciated.

Lore
01-19-2009, 08:33 AM
Another twist to this issue is that I would still like the application viewable by the poster. That way when we reply with questions or what have you, they can see and reply.

Thanks for the quick responses guys, it's really appreciated.

You're gonna need an addon to do that with any forum software.

Cider's guild runs Vbulletin and has an application script addon. The person applying can't see their own application though. TBH I kinda prefer it that way, lets officers etc discuss the application without worrying about whether or not the potential recruit will see it. If you want to ask the app something, send a PM.

I'm reasonably positive the same thing can be set up with PHPBB, but you'll need an addon for the actual form.

Wreckface
01-19-2009, 08:53 AM
You're gonna need an addon to do that with any forum software.

Cider's guild runs Vbulletin and has an application script addon. The person applying can't see their own application though. TBH I kinda prefer it that way, lets officers etc discuss the application without worrying about whether or not the potential recruit will see it. If you want to ask the app something, send a PM.

I'm reasonably positive the same thing can be set up with PHPBB, but you'll need an addon for the actual form.

That's a great point. Never even thought to use the PM system. I'm looking for an application/script right now.

orcstar
01-19-2009, 08:59 AM
Hiding applications is a good thing. We've kicked people from the guild for applying to another guild, so it's in your and the applicants interest to hide it.

Crommi
01-25-2009, 07:45 AM
Hiding applications is a good thing. We've kicked people from the guild for applying to another guild, so it's in your and the applicants interest to hide it.

On the otherhand, applicants should have informed their guild that they're applying elsewhere or preferrably be guildless during application process.

We keep application visible but then we have separate section on forums visible only for members where discussion and decision making takes place.