PDA

View Full Version : Anub'Rekhan/Maexxna Corpse Scarabs/Spiders

Kasath
01-19-2009, 02:51 AM
Does anyone have trouble picking up the spiders that spawn underneath Maexxna or Anub'Rekhan's corpse scarabs?

I've tried standing right underneath Maexxna and various positions around and behind her, and my thunderclap and shockwave always seem to miss. Same with Anub'Rekhan's corpse scarabs.

I keep the "V" health bars turned on, and when I see the spiders/scarabs spawn, I TC/shockwave, but they still run all over the place. I've tried hitting them as soon as they spawn and waiting a second after they spawn.

Sometimes I see the damage numbers pop up, but the bugs still run all over the place. And sometimes they don't run all over the place - I've been able to hit all the spider adds on Maexxna with shockwave while main tanking her, and they all were stunned right underneath her.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

Shortypop
01-19-2009, 03:03 AM
I'd love to know if anyone can answer this, I usually manage to catch about a third of the spawns from Anub'rekhan's corpses, but I've completely given up with Maexxna's spawns. I'll turn round and check the dps hasn't left any but otherwise they seem to be impossible to catch!

Biggensak
01-19-2009, 06:41 AM
Interesting... I have the same problem gathering them all up and though it was just me being a newb (two runs of Nax down so far)... :)

Fayre
01-19-2009, 06:47 AM
My hunch with the spiders on Maexxna is that they're a bit like the guys that used to run in on Solarian in TK - they have a set amount of initial aggro on certain raid members - and its more than just an odd thunderclap's worth :) To be honest, I'm beginning to think it's not worth trying on those - they die so fast anyway.

headknocker
01-19-2009, 07:05 AM
As a MT you're just not going to get them. Even with consecrate, I'm lucky if I get more than 25%. If you're the OT, they are just going to run for the ranged/healers so if you don't have the AOE to just let your dps burn them down, when they come gather then at the destination rather than the source (i.e. stand with the healers before they release). We usually have a hunter and we always have a mage when doing naxx, so the burn down isn't really a problem and our OT just keeps wailing away on the boss. If 1-2 go for your melee dps, they should be able to take them down.

Bokeh
01-19-2009, 07:07 AM
On Maexxna: get all the healers to clump up on top of eachother and stand on top of them, they'll automatically come to you.

On Anub: get paladins to put on righteous fury, chances are most of them will go for the paladins (especially if pala's are tank healing and the rest is raid healing, raid damage is relatively light). Having shamans drop earthbind helps with picking them up. Though truth be told, with just a bit of AoE they drop so fast there's no point tanking them.

Braggha
01-20-2009, 05:01 AM
They must not be picked by any tank, they killed by AOE in a second

Ehl
01-22-2009, 02:46 PM
Thats right, I always have my OT kill the cryptfiend somewhere on maxxrange for mages. so they can camp the corpse, and can continue to dps anub. then the scarabs spawn, frostnova. now your AoE can kill the scarabs.
On meaxxna, I let my OT pick up the adds. Everybody except me (MT) is grouped/standing together. OT tries/gets adds. AoE burns down the spiders.

Ulyeney Venoli
01-25-2009, 02:04 PM
I also had/have issues with the spiderlings on Maexxna. I posted in the 'small questions' thread a while back but got no replies. It is refreshing to hear that I am not the only one with this issue, I thought it was a DK thing.

The initial aggro makes sense, and as stated they die so fast from AoE there really is no reason to tank them.

Moshman
01-25-2009, 02:07 PM
They tend to die before i can even target them so its no problem for me.

Ciderhelm
01-25-2009, 02:15 PM
Frost Nova!

Kasath
01-26-2009, 04:12 AM
It's nice to know I'm not the only one that has this issue.

The scarab/spiders aren't a problem in the least - nobody dies from them, AOE is able to kill them quickly - it's just annoying. I am the OT on both of those fights, and I feel like I should be able to stop them from going anywhere at all, period. I just don't like stuff running around.

SGray
01-26-2009, 11:01 AM
Ive not really dealt with the mobs that spawn from Anub'Rekhan, but ive got something that works pretty flawless on the spiders from Maexxna. On my warrior i have enemy NPC nameplates enabled. Position wise i stand behind Maexxna, usually on her left-hindlegs. DBM tells me when the spiders are about to spawn, when there is

xKhellendrosx
01-26-2009, 11:04 AM
Maexxena is pretty easy if you have a Frost spec'd Death knight in your party. Generally they can stay on Maexxena and time pestilence and Howling blast and take out all the spiders before they run out from under her.

Garrek
01-27-2009, 01:47 PM
On Maexxna, it's more important to root them into place than to try to get initial aggro. As a Warrior, I Shockwave first as soon as they spawn and step in range for them to whack on my shield, and *then* Thunderclap. I've yet to lose a single one of those spiders yet and they're usually dead before the webwrap. You can even do this as the MT, but because of Maexxna's hitbox, you may have to work on repositioning her again.

The only explanation I can think of for how their aggro works is that a) upon spawn they pick a random target to attack and b) after attacking a person aggro is solidified (or perhaps just set really high). Rooting them in place and being the only person in range of melee attacks triggers the AI reaction to attack you (their primary target is not in range of attack) and thus that one person gets all the threat.

I find that if you don't step close enough to force them to attack you that they will still scatter off to whoever they originally had targetted once their root falls off which seems to corroborate the theory, but I have no solid proof... all anecdotal. If you're not one with an AoE stun, having a mage frost nova should still do the trick provided they're not in melee range and you're still the one that runs up to get the initial hits from the spiders.

Walbomb
01-28-2009, 02:23 PM
For Anub, if you have a hunter it really helps if they drop a frost trap on the corpse of the crypt fiend.

For Maexxna we just have a mage nova them in place and I (as the OT) shockwave as well. Very rarely does one get by.

Deathknell
01-28-2009, 05:12 PM
It also helps to have an unholy DK for Anub as u just corpse explode the Guardian BAM no scarabs !!!!!!!!!:D

1/30/09 * Edit did Maexxna tonight on 10 man for the life of me couldnt pick up the adds so i swtriched to dps gear and ignored them (well let the AOE DPS them) they seem to just go for heaelrs casters so i just let them be. We stacked healers/casters in 1 spot seemed to work nice

Nume
01-29-2009, 04:13 PM
For the Maexxna ones, they seem to spawn with no targets, but a half second after they spawn they pick targets and a Tclap/shockwave wont be enough to grab them all. The key is to just get in position, watch your dbm, and AS SOON as they spawn shockwave. If you do it right they should have no target, and after the shockwave they'll target you and its easy to hold threat like normal. For Anub, just make sure you pull the elite mob into the middle of the room where the dps are before you kill it, then just camp right off of if facing it so you can shockwave immediately when the scarabs spawn. If another elite comes before the scarabs spawn, you have to make sure to run pick it up, then tank it with it right on top of the old ones body so you can still be ready with the shockwave/tclap when scarabs come.

Draket
03-17-2009, 08:39 AM
my first time in naxx as a tank (DK) its was with a pug because guild isnt ready yet, i was the ot so i looked at the vid on here went to naxx and asked if the dps kill the scarabs on the first boss and was told that should tank them...
then the problem came by the time i could use D&D the scarabs had spread everywhere and dps didnt even try to kill them..
we wiped and tried again and we wiped again.. then i got kicked because i couldnt tank, okay it might be the case but i dont think so..
the day after i tryed again with a pug but in this one i asked again if i should tank the scarabs and was told no just pick up the one big one and dps would take down the scarabs, and i worked first time...

Dubzil
03-17-2009, 08:43 AM
^- what they said - maexxna spiders are easy as warrior, shockwave within the first second they pop up then tclap, they all go for you, usually dead before they even hit you, but if not they at least don't run to the healers. I do it as MT or OT, as MT you gotta move a little close to maexxna, so she will back up, quick reposition

RialÚv
03-17-2009, 09:15 AM
Well as an Unholy DK, picking up the Anub'Rekhan and Maexxna spiders is one of my #1 jobs in our raids. I normally try to save enough runes right before the timer runs out on Maexxna to throw down a DnD, and immediately throw out a Pestilence (targetting Maexxna who should have all your diseases on her anyway) and unholy blight (which should already be up).

Proceed to blood boil, pop blood tap and blood boil once more, and they die.

Anub'Rekhan's corpse scarabs are a little bit harder because they can be very hard to time. The best case scenario is your mage is good with frost nova, and you can pick them all up accordingly.

The worst case scenario is you're running around for a good while trying to catch them all. I don't really use any strategy here other than a DnD if I can catch them in time.

Aberen
03-18-2009, 04:59 PM
1. have a mage
2. turn on enemy health bars with "v"
3. have mage stand at spiders ass
4. frost nova as soon as the enemy health bars pop up
5. AOE
6. repeat

might take a little practice with timing, most of our mages don't even need AOE help.

Kerchunk
03-18-2009, 06:19 PM
I've completely given up with Maexxna's spawns.

The strategy I use as an OT is to stand INSIDE Maexxna facing the MT about halfway down her body. The Spiders seem to spawn near the front-center of her body, so this puts you in prime position to Shockwave immediately when they spawn which stuns them long enough to also Thunderclap. Make sure you have the rage saved up for it (watch DBM).

Using this strategy (with nameplates enabled) I haven't missed a spider in 4 runs.

My hunch with the spiders on Maexxna is that they're a bit like the guys that used to run in on Solarian in TK - they have a set amount of initial aggro on certain raid members - and its more than just an odd thunderclap's worth

Definitely not the case. As long as you hit them, they will stick to you.

They must not be picked by any tank, they killed by AOE in a second

Very inaccurate information. They can be AoEd down in a second as long as they are in one place, but if a tank doesn't hold them in place, they can easily scatter before AoE gets them all and even 3-4 up hitting Healers can cause problems. This is especially true if Web Wrap follows the Spiders quite closely.

Yes, it's possible to just DPS them and hope for the best, but it's not an ideal strategy to let them run loose when they spawn.

Elindalyne
03-23-2009, 11:50 AM
There really isn't any reason to pick them up. As previously stated in this thread, have a mage frost nova them as soon as they spawn then aoe them down. The spiders and corpse scarabs last for a total of .3 seconds after they spawn if people switch to them immediately.

If you don't have a mage, have the dps use something that provides timers for when the spiders spawn. Its really not that hard to lay your aoe down a few moments before the spiders spawn.

Akeber
03-23-2009, 01:38 PM
They are not worth the effort required to try to pick them all up. I know from personal esperience that 3-4 arcane explosions form a single mage can take care of all of them. Most dps have great AOE abilities, they LOVE to use them on trash, but seem to forget about them on boss fights. IMO, let the dps kill them.