PDA

View Full Version : Naxx 25 man Instructor

Jolycod
01-18-2009, 09:54 PM
Hello, My guild is just getting into regular 25 man raids weekly and we are able to blow through 25man Vault, 25 man Sarathan, 25 man Spider Wing, and 25 man Plague Wing with no problems at all.

When we get to Instructor on 25 man we have 2 tanks set up to tank 2 of the adds and 2 priests to MC 2 of the other adds. When the priest first MC the 2 adds it seems like 3 seconds into the fight the MC's both break at the same time. What are we doing wrong and how can we overcome that?

Bulk
01-18-2009, 11:54 PM
How much hit rating do they have, and how close are they to the mobs they are mc'ing? I belive both have a direct effect on how long the MC will last.

Ideally you want both priests to be hit capped, which for a holy/disc priest might well be not the case - make sure they put together an +hit set, and perhaps bring some plus +hit food buffs and potions.

Shortypop
01-19-2009, 12:40 AM
Get one of your tanks to pick up two of the mobs as your first priest MC'es. The second priest waits 10seconds before MC'ing, ensuring they don't break at the same time. +hit gear to about 8-9% is what our priests wear and it seems to help. If you've got a spare tank he can always sacrifice himself by taunting Raz if things get really messy (sometimes he'll get lucky and won't even die).

Jahira
01-19-2009, 09:16 AM
We're running into exactly the same issue last night. Our priests are not having issues getting the mind controls to land. Getting it to stick is the problem. They just seem to break a couple seconds into the MC. This doesn't sound like a spell hit issue to me. It feels like we were missing something painfully obvious, however.

Jolycod
01-19-2009, 08:06 PM
Does he do some sort of shout that breaks the MC?? It seems as if the MC's break soon as he is done with his little 2 second spill when he is aggro'd.

If he does how do you get the encounter set up?

Shakari
01-19-2009, 11:19 PM
We're running into exactly the same issue last night. Our priests are not having issues getting the mind controls to land. Getting it to stick is the problem. They just seem to break a couple seconds into the MC. This doesn't sound like a spell hit issue to me. It feels like we were missing something painfully obvious, however.

We has this early on and found quite simply its the MC'd mobs moving to far and out of the range of mind control, then they instantly break... usually after 3 seconds or so as the priests run the MC'd mob to the boss ;)

check and see if this is whats happening :D

TIP: Get the priests to use mind smooth before MC'ing means they can get closer and have less range issues :D

muallana
01-27-2009, 06:49 AM
If a pally puts enough distance between Raz and himself, he can taunt him, bubble and cancel bubble a few secs later. Shamans can do the same, but ankh instead of bubble.

Pagezero
01-27-2009, 07:49 AM
We have had problems with this fight because of MC breaking early. I found three interesting things

Tremor totem - If a shammy puts one down when an MC is active it will break the MC right away because the student is friendly and gets the totem buff and the game says he is under a charm effect so break it.
Fight in the circle - We were fighting up at the top of the ramp and MC's were breaking a lot, the thought is they might have something coded in to stop you from taking the students too far way.
Frost Death Knights - The 80 resist aura seems to cause a problem for the MC, I think what is happening is the students get the 80 resist aura and resists (maybe shadow) is used on the periodic check to decide if MC should break.

I do not have good data for any of these things which does not make me feel good but for weeks Raz has taken many tries and we always end with like 20 people dead...this week we had the Frost DKs stay out of range and not one MC broke early.

There is a good thread on the Shadow Priest forums that might help too shadowpriest.com • View topic - Instructor Razuvious 25 man (http://www.shadowpriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=17541)/.

Djoust
01-31-2009, 04:34 PM
Most likely, your priests are moving the understudies too far away from them (too far away from the priest). This will cause MC to break. They will swear up and down that they are not, but being someone who has played a priest in this fight, and tanked it with ZERO early breaks I can tell you there really isn't any other reason for them to break early, except maybe damage from instructor, but as long as your priests are dropping MC everytime the other priest taunts off of them, damage should not be the problem.

It is a tough fight for priests to get a grip on. I have been playing a priest since Scholo was hard and you actually had to MC mobs in the room with the gargoyle boss. I know how to MC .. and it still took me a little while to get used to.

Some keys :
1. Use Mind Soothe before the pull. This allows a priest to walk up to the understudies in the front and MC them without aggroing them. Note : They can still aggro instructor if he is not at the far end of his path.

2. Wait for instructor to come to you. Don't go running after him. Get you MC on, target Insctuctor, move to the 6 o'clock position on the circle, and wait for instuctor to start moving. Once he starts moving hit your bone shield, and then taunt as soon as you can.

We've wiped a lot on him to, but it really is a very simple fight once your priests get a hang of it.

Good Luck

Fayre
02-01-2009, 05:06 AM
One week we had the same issue - the cause? Shadow Resistance aura. The Understudies were buffed by it (as when they're MC'd, they're part of the raid), and therefore had greater than usual resistance to mind control. It must have wiped us a half dozen times before we figured it out :(