PDA

View Full Version : How much hit for Naxx and Beyond

Splatterror
01-16-2009, 02:49 PM
Hiya folks.. I've been trying to find a good answer and maybe I'm failing at searching lol..

I'm currently MT in Naxx 10/25 and I've recently seen some stats that showed me missing my attacks about 14% of the time.. so I swapped a lil STA for hit and I'm wondering what number I should be shooting for with hit before I start adding a lil expertise?

Thank a lot for any advice.

EDIT: Sorry I'm a prot warrior BTW.

Anaz
01-16-2009, 03:56 PM
you should be expertise soft capped before you even worry about using any hit gems or enchants. The expertise will add threat as well as survivability.

Then you worry about hit. Two pieces of gear that are easy to obtain that have some on it. The badge neck being probably the easiest. From there, several, if not all, of the tanking weapons have some on it. If you can do Naxx 25 there's the chest, if you can do Sarth 25 there's the legs. Both have a lot of hit and would be fine for normal non-progression or even progression fights that don't involve a ton of avoidance and survivability.

Just my two cents.

thanatas
01-16-2009, 04:10 PM
Expertise is always better than Hit - Warriors - TankingTips.com (http://www.tankingtips.com/2009/01/07/expertise-is-always-better-than-hit/)

I believe the emblem of valor ring is one of the best items to pick up if you haven't decided on what piece to pick up first with these tokens.

Caulle
01-16-2009, 05:40 PM
Your high miss rate is likely due more to attacks being dodged/parried than you flat out missing. Shoot for your soft expertise cap first before hit (20), but it never hurts to go beyond that either. Expertise is also one of our best defensive stats. I like to run at least 40 minimum for boss fights because boss parry rate is always much higher than dodge. Don't forget about Expertise food/elixirs. Better bang for your buck than any other consumable combination in game right now.

That aside I went over your armoury. Let's take a look at Bolstered Legplates (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=43500). It has a red socket, but you've just crammed a blue 24stm gem in there. A better alternative is to use something like Guardian's Twilight Opal (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40034). You'll gain 8 Expertise rating at a loss of 6 stamina. It's well worth it.

I'm not sure if this is your normal Boss tanking gear set, but it's gemmed/enchanted a lot towards being offensive. That's not a bad thing persay, but if you can't hit the boss then that extra umph you're trying to eek out isn't doing anything.

Splatterror
01-16-2009, 06:01 PM
Thanks SOO much for the insight all of you. I was totally assbackwards with hit/expertise.

Caulle thanks so much for the advice and I'm going to do just that! (regem those pants) It was indeed my intention to try to get some offensive power to help the overall dps of these raids. I recently got the 84 defense trink that free'd me up to gem these items differently. So now I'll be shooting for softcap expertise with some sta mixed in.

This toon was a toon I transfered over from a pve server that I hadn't played in 2 years. Once expac hit I knew our guild was needing a dependable tank so I took on the role. I'm learning as much as I can and I really appriciate the information here. (was sooo bored with my hunter and holy pally lol)

Thanks so much again everyone!

Caulle
01-16-2009, 06:21 PM
Expertise is going to help a lot for that offensive power that you're looking for. We've got a Patchwerk DPS scoreboard up, and if you look at the guys at the top they're pulling off 3400+ DPS, but they're also not missing any attacks.

Xav posted their 2min Patchwerk kill (3.2k DPS), and this thread has a ton of discussion on the subject. You might find some insight in there as well.
http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f56/43734-video-1-54-patchwerk-warrior-buttonmash.html

Splatterror
01-16-2009, 09:59 PM
yeah I watched the <2 min patch kill. That's what actually got me looking into the issue. I examined the WWS file then I downloaded and ran my own WWS and noticed the misses and low dps for me.

I'm gonna go read more on that thread and try to soak up some information.

Thanks Caulle..

PS. I loved your tutorial vids.. watched em a while ago :)