PDA

View Full Version : Sartharion 25 3 Drake Main Tanking

Goom
01-15-2009, 09:56 AM
Soon my raid will be working on Sarth 25 3D and since unholy dks seems to be uniquely adept at surviving all his breaths I'll be MTing him as an unholy spec. I have been frost tank spec for my entire tanking career (I love frost) so trying to build an unholy tank build for this fight has been a pain. I've tried to look up common specs but most info I can find about unholy tanking are the "ZOMG LEET UNHOLY AOE TANK!!!!" or the "Unholy dps/tank hybrid" specs.

I know what talents I need to get: Magic Suppression, AMZ, Bone Shield, and toughness/blade barrier/anticipation, but I need some help with the rest of the build.

Here is a spec I was thinking about using: http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classes/deathknight/talents.html?tal=005502030000000000000000000005000 00000000000000000000002352303031001050530010031031 51 (http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classes/deathknight/talents.html?tal=005502030000000000000000000005000 00000000000000000000002352303031001050530010031031 51)

Any comments would be much appreciated, I'd really like some feedback from other dk t anks that have already tanked this.

ttocs
01-15-2009, 10:19 AM
I haven't tanked it personally (I'm usually the add tank doing all the AoE damage), but your spec looks sound. Our DK MT usually specs into Lichborne for the DC self-heals + avoidance (You'll push your avoidance really high, though you won't be completely unhittable). Once all the drakes are dead his melee is really hard, so you can use that to give the healers a bit of a buffer during a rough transition or flame wall.

You probably won't have a warrior keeping TC up on you full time while everyone is beating on drakes, so you should pick up imp icy touch as well. I'd move those 6 points out of DC, 2H spec and 1 point out of Bladed Armor, and put it in Frost.

As far as the unholy tree, there's no reason to pick up CE. The only things you can really explode to do anything with are whelps, but if you're on sarth, you'll be using your unholy runes for other things.

As "meh" as necrosis is, you can put that CE talent point into there as it'll still serve more benefit. If you aren't running with a protadin for BoSanc, and you find yourself low on RP, you can take points out of necrosis and put it into dirge.

Inaara
01-15-2009, 10:29 AM
http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deathknight=0055000000000000000000000003050000000 000000000000000000235230030100105253001003133151&glyph=110415050406 is my unholy spec for tanking Sartharion and yes, I have killed him with three drakes up. Just make sure you have your AMS and AMZ for the fully buffed breaths.

Goom
01-15-2009, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the feedback, what you guys mentioned were some of the aspects I was unsure on, I've made a few slight changes and will be running around as unholy this week so I can get a feel for the spec heh

Mezame
02-15-2009, 11:38 AM
Hi guys, since we're on the topic of MTing Sartharion 3Drake Heroics, can I know what are the preferable required stats for a Death Knight? i.e. defense, hp, dodge, parry, etc.

Dafong
02-15-2009, 05:23 PM
With Mezame on this one. I seem to have quite good stats as far as I can tell compared to other DKs who are tanking Sarth +3 but I seem to still be dying occasionally.

Not everytime, just now and again I seem to die :p So optimum stats and some advice as to when to start rotation would be useful.

WorldofWarcraft.com -> Info -> Classes -> Death Knight -> Talent Calculator (http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classes/deathknight/talents.html?tal=005032150310031000000000000305000 00000000000000000000000352000150031050500512001000 00)

Is the build I been using. (Talents seem to be behaving oddly for me)

I go that far into blood for the extra HP, gives me about 44k raid buffed. The spell deflection ability doesn't work on the Breath.

I took Unholy Aura for those people around me trying to avoid Firewalls and Voidzones....figured an extra bit of speed wouldn't hurt and what else was I going to put the points into? DPS abilities? what so I could lift myself from 900 dps to 1000 dps? really not going to make much difference. The way my guild attempts it we don't really even bother attack Sarth at the start so I have plenty of time to get aggro.

I have the usual suspects, Blade Barrier, Anticipation, Toughness. Imp Icy, AMS, AMZ and BS.

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Thunderhorn&n=Dafong)

Is armory for my character, talents aren't as above, but have been learning and adjusting as I go.

Just wonderiing what some of you DKs are doing to survive that I am missing.

Nightdemon
02-15-2009, 08:00 PM
Personally, I save IBF / AMS for Breaths when Vesperon has an Acolyte up. They are the only times I use them. I tend to keep VB up whenever its available, though (To compensate for the extra damage).

The only thing that can really kill me is a breath with a Vesperon add up. Thats why I keep the CDs ^^

sevve
02-16-2009, 03:11 AM
Our MT used to be unholy for this, but after the patch he says that blood is better. I don't know much about DKs, but he uses a 47/8/16 spec, very successfully I might add.

Ray
02-16-2009, 07:39 AM
Optimal spec for a DK tanking Sarth as of 3.0.8 is

Sarth 3D Tank (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=jMEMoIhcofRuuZhxbzZfg00h0o)

Get a Disco priest and a spare helm for the spell dam reduction meta + FR enchant. Use spare gear gemmed sololy for stam. Rotate CDs with AMS, IBF, VB (you will need a 30% CD just to be safe), and outside CDs and you will live. Just be sure to get another tank to take over for you once the drakes are down cuz your going to drain the healers mana real quick if you dont.

Tips

1. Debuffs still work through the immune shield. So be sure to keep up FF and get a lock to keep up weakness. They make a big difference.
2. Use pest + runetap (when needed) to burn blood runes. Pest works through the immunity. Just be careful to not pick up any adds.
3. Glyph the VB for a nice long 30 CD. You can take just about a full breath with it up + a disco priest shield.

Goom
02-23-2009, 01:17 PM
Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=j0EMRMhcoZhg0zZfguh00oxe0k0o)

Is the spec I ended up using to take down sarth. Gives more stam and rune tap in blood, lichborne in frost, and 100% mitigation ams bone armor and AMZ in unholy.

This spec worked very well I ended up being able to use only my cds while vesperon's acolyte + shadron was up (partly because the dps raped) not saying this is the spec everyone should have but since I started this topic thught I'd show what spec I ended with.

Mezame
02-23-2009, 08:14 PM
OK, at the moment I have 35k hp with Frost Presence, and I'm using this spec:

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deathknight=0055021233300310230241310003050200100 000000000000000000235200300000100000000000000000&glyph=112016040605

Have yet to try it. Basically it's a slightly modified version of Ray's spec.

Any advice on gearing though? This is my armory. Do I need to worry about Fire Resist gear/gems/etc? If so, how much FR are we looking at?

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Gorgonnash&n=Mezame)

Appreciate the input thank you! :)

Ray: I'm curious, how come another tank has to takeover when drakes are down?

Darksteei
02-24-2009, 03:39 AM
First of all. I'm a first time poster here. So hello everybody.

I have recently been asked to tank Sarth 3D. I usually DPS so here are my questions..

I have 40k health fully raid buffed. Is this sufficient in regards to VP such??
And what kind of mitigation rotation do you use?

I used this spec on our attempts: Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=jcEMqchIobRzuZhxbzZ0g0hx0o)
Found it at warcraftmovies from a recently new movie.

I do apologize in advance for any typos and such. English is no my first language.

Regards

Darksteel

Jing
02-24-2009, 12:53 PM
40k should be enough, I got it down for the first time last night and had like 42k, so not a huge difference there.

I'm not sure why people are shifting to blood, it just means that you need to ask for more cooldowns from your healers imo, I used this spec (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=j0tGoIhcoZ0xZ0ghhxcogx0o0o) and only used one cooldown other then my own (yes I know there are 5 unused points, but you can do what you want with them). Threat on this fight should not be an issue since you have a few min lead on the dps, I would however figure out a good way to keep blood barrier up and not attack while twilight torment is up. I made a macro that casted pestilence(it casts even if the mob is immune) and then stopped attack, I'm not sure if this is the best way of doing it but it worked for me, just be sure that none of the little mobs are around you when you do this. I also used death strike as much as possible, It's only a couple k heal in tank gear and such, but it's nice to help the healers.

My midigation rotation was AMS, IBF, Pally HoS, AMZ (this one is a bit tricky as you can't move when it's up so make sure there is no wall or void zone), Bone Shield, then I had a priest ready and after that I would be able to use AMS and IBF again, I also had Army of the dead ready if a couple came a little too quickly, but only use that if you think there is a good shot at winning because it's a 20 min cooldown.

Dafong
02-26-2009, 04:56 PM
That is the same build i used and posted above.

I got my HP up to 45k raid buffed, which helps i suppose, but it still knocks me down to about 33.5k or so hp after debuffs.

As others have said the breath is only really a problem when the vesperon add is actually up. The rotation I used when Vesperon add was up..

AMS, AMZ or IBF depending on the Firewall Cooldown, then AMZ or IBF depending what was up. I would then call for HoS/Pain suppression, I found either on their own wasn't enough.

For the record though, I would eat the first breath when teh Immunity Bubble went up, if it came within ten seconds. If it took longer then tht I would start my rotation, I noticed that early on, I could suffer the Breath.

I was also wrong when I posted above saying that Spell Deflection doesn't work on the breath.....it does and with a 28% parry rate, that is a 28% chance to deflect 30% of the damage from his breath....that is huge on Sartharion.

I did have problems sometimes, mainly due to the order in which my guild killed the mobs, and teh fact that sometimes I would be sitting with teh Vesperon add up for very long periods which meant that my cooldowns all had a chance to refresh sometimes.

Dafong
02-26-2009, 05:04 PM
I wouldn't really recommend army of undead, because they will taunt above you and while that might be useful to take a breath, it will also mean he maybe be turning around and my breath your raid.

Drmanhattan
03-01-2009, 10:49 PM
hey guys this is my first time on here so hello, anyways on to my problems...
my guild is currently doing Sartharion 2 drake and having some trouble but our gm wants us to treat its like 3 drake so I'm a dk unholy spec its kind of a weird spec but it has been working but i want to hear your input and if their is a better build for me. this is my current gear level The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Blade%27s+Edge&n=Drmanhattan) if there is any in put you can give that would be much appreciated ty..

Jing
03-02-2009, 12:13 PM
yeah, aotd would be tricky, but if it's an otherwise win and you have no other choice, may have to chance it, you could cut the channeling short as soon as the breath comes and in all likelihood the breath would kill all the ghouls. But I would not use it unless it's like the final attempt of the night, you think you have it otherwise and you wanna roll the dice a little.

Drmanhattan, as much as I read about the fight before I tanked it, actually doing it was the best information I got. With this fight, don't expect for down it in a few attempts, it might take a few days worth of work since there is so much going on. The key is getting Shadron down at that point you don't need the cooldown rotation any more and the raid healers can help heal the tanks a little. Ultimately it comes down to you and your healers figuring out a way that works best to get the cooldowns on you so you don't die. I used ventrilo to ask my healers for their cooldown but that may not work for you, all I can say is, make sure all your cooldowns are ready by Vesp landing and practice what rotation and what way of calling for more works best.