PDA

View Full Version : Timing On Malygos

Akiseth
01-14-2009, 09:11 PM
My guild is now getting excited about engaging and hopefully bringing down Malygos. We already have had many attempts at him, but keep getting mashed on the enrage timer during phase 3. My question is what would be a safe assumption on time when phase 3 occurs?

Dhalphir
01-14-2009, 09:42 PM
If you have about 3-3.5 minutes with phase 3, you should be able to pull it off.

Your time can be cut down lower with improvements in 3 main areas.

1) Stacking sparks better in phase 1. If you can stack one spark cloud on top of the previous one, this fight is made a lot easier in terms of time. Two deathknights can make it trivial, all the tank has to do is ensure Malygos is close enough that melee can stand in the cloud and hit him, and so can ranged. If you don't have DKs, you need Cider's kite strategy.

2) Coordinating your melee dps once they get on discs in phase 2. Get your two best melee DPS onto the disks that drop off the Nexus Lords, and have them focus on a Scion and take it out ASAP. After that, any remaining discs go to melee dps, then tanks. If you're heavy on casters, phase 2 can take a little while unless you take the risk of not standing inside shields.

3) Keep everyone alive in phase 3 and make sure they understand how to DPS. on 10man, 2 healer drakes is more than enough, everyone else should be DPSing.

Vapes
01-15-2009, 07:10 AM
I'd say melee then your highest ranged DPS. You're generally going to get more DPS out of a ranged DPS that can stand still and keep 1 target in range instead of one that's running from bubble to bubble on the ground and a tank in the air.

I think the biggest is Dhalphir's #1 point. If you can't make it to him with 3-3.5 minutes you're probably going to make it up in phase 1.

If you're melee heavy, make sure you're hugging the group w/ Malygos, letting melee get the spark buffs (not too close though, he has a big hit box, you might push hunters out of the spark).

Our first attempts, we got to phase 3 at 10minutes as he enraged, seemed like we'd need seriously more dps, but we just got better at phase 1 and it fixed everything.

Akiseth
01-19-2009, 05:17 PM
Thank you very much for your responses.

Lanicus
01-29-2009, 10:54 AM
"Two deathknights can make it trivial, all the tank has to do is ensure Malygos is close enough that melee can stand in the cloud and hit him"

This is something we're struggling with in my guild for some odd reason. We bring two DKs, both of which are solid players, but for some reason they have issues with 1) Deathgrip cooldowns - it's not always up when a spark spawns and 2) accidentally DGing Maly because someone killed a spark as soon as the DK hit their DG. The other issue is that one of theose 2 DKs is the best DPS in the guild (does about 4k DPS in mixed 10 man epics, some T7) so that really takes away from our DPS as well. I just cant put my finger on why we cant get this done. With 2 DKs is it still worth kiting Maly a bit?

hvidgaard
01-29-2009, 12:06 PM
If you got a skilled tank and a designated spark watcher, it's much much easier to kite Malygos around the platform and force the sparks over the dps. DG and rooting them is fine if the path is a little off, but relying completly on it spells trouble sooner than later. The main problem, as you mentioned, is DGing the big boy himself by accident (which for some reason almost always seems to be immidially followed by a breath on the entire raid) or run into the wall of CDs.