PDA

View Full Version : Naxx 10 and KT OTing

Deefunk
01-14-2009, 10:27 AM
We ran into something last night that caused a 2% wipe our first attempt and had to adjust for the second.

Once KTs adds spawned, we had a druid OT pick them both up and tank them. At about 2% left to go.. KT Iceblocks the OT and it was a quick death for him leaving the adds to go straight at the healers etc causing a quick wipe.

So the second attempt, same thing happens although it was more like 15% HP left and the OT gets Iceblocked and gibbed.. this time I was prepared for what was sure to follow and intervened/taunted etc to pick them back up and had to tank all 3 mobs until the end.

Now is this just a guaranteed OT gib every time? is there anyway for the OT to survive if he gets iceblocked at all? I just hate to think we missed something simple and are just accepting that all hell breaks loose in that event instead of changing something.

Tatt
01-14-2009, 10:31 AM
Not sure but is there a range to who KT iceblocks? When the adds popped I dragged them way the hell away from everyone (because I had no clue if they did any kind of AOE so I figured it was safer to keep them that far away) and never got ice blocked.

morelore
01-14-2009, 10:37 AM
As far as I can tell it's luck based. I think it's a pretty lame mechanic, personally - it's wiped us once, and once we managed to burn him down while the adds ran loose.

Consider it incentive to burn him faster though. The faster you drop him, the less ice blocks he'll fire off. There's no inherent reason you can't live through the tomb, although it would require an *extremely* fast shift of healing attention to you, a lot of instant heals, and probably a lot of luck.

greendragonempire
01-14-2009, 10:39 AM
OT needs to stand more than 15 yards away, problem solved.

make it 40 yards just to be safe

Tatt
01-14-2009, 10:39 AM
Guess we got lucky, same ret pally got ice blocked 4 times on our try :).......He didn't mind, he won the axe :)

morelore
01-14-2009, 10:42 AM
OT needs to stand more than 15 yards away, problem solved.

make it 40 yards just to be safe

The last time I got iceblocked, I was at least 20 (more like 30, probably) yards from KT.

minrog
01-14-2009, 10:43 AM
Last night on our KT kill the raid leader had a DK grip one guardian (which I taunted off) and a hunter MD the other to me as the MT. My gear is a half/half mix of 25 and 10 man stuff atm and our healers our roughly in the same boat. It didn't seem to be too difficult for me to tank them and it's a lot nicer than losing an OT at 2%. Our OT for the night was a DK and he just dps'ed KT except for the one grip he used.

Deefunk
01-14-2009, 11:22 AM
Well we CAN deal with it if it happens and are expecting what follows, I just wanted to make sure that it was or was not "luck based" as in can it be out ranged (which I didn't think it could be) or something of the sort. I guess no one knows for sure if it can be out ranged since I see a reply of +15 yards, and another of getting hit from 30 yards away. If its just pure dumb luck, Id have to say that's pretty lame for it to work this way.

Vapes
01-14-2009, 02:18 PM
Personally including our first kill, I've always tanked the adds, your druid will probably help the raid more by just DPSing and interrupting frost bolts. You figure he's interrupting 10k a pop, over the course of the fight he's really helping healers out.

The -only- issue i've had is that there's so much garbage in your face that noticing the void zones is a bit more annoying, other than that the fight just goes faster and the adds do peanuts for damage, and since KT likes to cast there's not much repositioning involved. Just have your melee sit tight for a few seconds while you pick them up and move him back to position.

Gamox
01-14-2009, 03:30 PM
I just tank the adds as well. Our DK rounds them up and i taunt them off to make sure they're infront of me and we're good. It can get hairy trying to spot a void zone though so you need to be sure you can see under your feet and everyone knows to stay clear of you when you're repositioning. If your MTs gear isn't quite there yet, using an armor potion once you have the adds can ease the stress on your healers a bit.

Deefunk
01-14-2009, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the replies. After reading these, I think the next go around I will just tank them all and let him DPS in his kitty gear instead.

Kilrum
01-14-2009, 03:37 PM
Tried this for the first time the other night, and the RL's strat was to have me tank the boss while he ot'd the adds. Each time ice block on the ot caused a wipe.

Definitely looking forward to trying that again now :)

Ferim
01-14-2009, 04:11 PM
The Ice Block is a random target to the raid HOWEVER the Ice Block has an AoE range for whomever it hits. We had the same situation we were at less than 2% and myself and a pally tank were dealing with the adds in the back. The healers that were responsible for healing us were standing right next to each other and they both got Ice Blocked and the adds were let loose on the rest of the raids. Not to mention though the next time we downed him with 24 people alive.
Also, if you didn't already know. Melee needs to be a in a diamond/triangle formation around KT, and at the edge of his hit box, thereby minimizing the chance of say a tank getting Ice Blocked.

GOOD LUCK!

dyls
01-14-2009, 04:20 PM
Don't forget the adds have a stacking debuff (or a stacking buff on themselves?)

Ferim
01-14-2009, 08:36 PM
I wanna say its the stacking buff the longer that KT is alive. Definitely have all the dps burn their cool downs after 40% to spike him down and save the tanks and healers in the back taking the adds.

Deefunk
01-14-2009, 11:23 PM
We have done both 10 and 25 man and know how the fights work.. it was just the first time we had our add OT eat an iceblock and get gibbed 2x in a row and wondered if we had an oversight somewhere.

Niian
01-14-2009, 11:29 PM
MT tanks everything for that fight.
Near the end you'll start getting hit for a fair bit because the bugs will be going nuts on you, but thats when your DPS needs to go hard and burn him down before you fall over.

As a pally all I need to do is avengers shield one, exorcism the other.

hvidgaard
01-15-2009, 04:00 AM
It's completly random except the MT is excluded on 10man. What we did was keeping the OT toped off and with hots rolling all the time, if he gets blocked use whatever instant heals available from both healers. MT should pop a cooldown in this case. It's completly doable, we just failed because we wasn't prepared for the sheer amount of damage the first and only time it happened.

We haven't tried having the MT tank everything, but the OT takes a fair bit of wacking in the end, so I don't like that approach tbh.

Ferim
01-15-2009, 07:46 PM
That's a pretty interesting mechanic. I'm gonna be watching out for that next time we go on there.

Niian
01-15-2009, 07:47 PM
We did this last night, the drood tanked everything and I jumped in healing gear.
For the last ~15-20% of the bosses life I was just constantly spamming flash of light on the druid, never saw him go below 75% hp

Amelmil
01-16-2009, 03:48 AM
Have a dedicated healer for the OT tanking the adds when they spawned. MT tanking the adds is possible (done it twice when the OT died) but depends on 2 things : tank gears and healers.