PDA

View Full Version : Red Alert 3 on Steam

Ciderhelm
01-13-2009, 10:32 PM
Yet again, Electronic Arts impresses me w/ a C&C addition. Very cool intro so far, about to start playing.

Kedearian
01-13-2009, 10:33 PM
it wasn't bad. a bit short.. the hard counter system rocked. oh and war bears ftw.

Ciderhelm
01-13-2009, 10:37 PM
Apparently there is a co-op mode. Anyone picking this up tonight who wants to play fresh through it?

TaiSHi
01-14-2009, 02:52 AM
I may be able to pull it out, how much does it costs Cider?

Kazeyonoma
01-14-2009, 11:42 AM
gahh stop it stop it! i just started making time to play l4d after each raid, now this? no.. I can't.

More L4d Players.

Lets see if you foos can beat Team Texan Run and Gun (my Guild members) or team Asian Hop and Chop (my RL friends)

Ciderhelm
01-16-2009, 12:02 AM
Sorry for lack of responses so far! I've been knee deep in RA3!

This game is spectacularly well designed. It is easily better than Red Alert 2, and more polished and better acted than any other C&C. It doesn't maintain the feel of the originals (but nothing can), but it's very good.

The cheesy awful cutscenes of previous Command and Conquers were never something I looked forward to in the past. This time, they're purposefully cheesy, but are cast extremely well, so it's a treat just to play through it for the movies. Thankfully the gameplay is very good, too (the whole franchise has done a good job of adapting Starcraft design mechanics in the last couple years).

Also, I cut off part of a toenail before posting this thread, and it hurts.

Niian
01-16-2009, 12:04 AM
Does it have the same playing style as RA2?
Or has it followed the latest CnC and changed totally.

best unit in the game was modified guard dogs, with tesla coil attacks.

Ciderhelm
01-16-2009, 12:23 AM
It's very different, but it's also very different from the latest C&Cs. The Allies (from my limited experience) probably play the most similarly to Red Alert 2, the Soviets a bit less so (Apoc tanks aren't near the gamebreakers they used to be, though they still dominate).

Japan is harder to play than the other factions because it has a lot of micromanagement. The Japanese units are weak, but incredibly flexible. Definitely a good job w/ them.

The biggest single difference? Water. Water sets this game completely apart from the other games, because all factions can (optionally) build their entire bases on the sea (every building except for barracks and war factories can float), and a huge number of units are amphibious.

All units have at least one special ability or transformation. I'm not sure how much I'd like that if it weren't for my experience w/ WoW.

TaiSHi
01-16-2009, 12:57 AM
In case I don't actually "buy" it, can we still play Cider?

jettzypher
01-16-2009, 05:54 AM
RA3 is awesome. nuff said. =P