PDA

View Full Version : Legplates of Inescapable Death vs. Bolstered Legpl

Kalbitang
01-13-2009, 10:54 AM
Title got cut off, the full title should be: "Legplates of Inescapable Death (http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?item=39258) vs. Bolstered Legplates (http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?item=43500)"

Anyway, I got the Bolstered Legplates last night from Heroic VH. I already have the Legplates of Inescapable Death. From the gear list thread (http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f97/39462-wotlk-tanking-gear-list.html#post99078), it ranks the Legplates of Inexcapable Death higher than the Bolstered Legplates. It this simply from the extra gem slot, which would allow them to have potentially more stamina through gemming? The extra defense on the Bolstered Legplates seemed to give me an extra 1% dodge.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

greendragonempire
01-13-2009, 11:02 AM
I'm not sure what are you asking, wear what legs you need, if you are def capped and would like more block value use your Legplates of Inescapable Death ...

technically, yes using demogs ranking formulas, the Legplates of Inescapable Death rate 100pts higher than blostered, which makes sense as they are from naxx10 and not heroics.

Kalbitang
01-13-2009, 11:15 AM
My main question was *why* does he rank one over the other, and if people necessarily agree with that ranking.

My thought was that it was based on effective health, but wasn't sure if there was something I was missing. I was tempted to use one for a threat/grinding set (Legplates of Inescapable Death), and the other for more survivability (Bolstered Legplates), but I guess I was curious if I was planning their use incorrectly.

My guild has been having some issues with 25-man Patchwerk, so I thought the extra dodge would come in handy over potentially 100 hp (give or take). And, from my understanding, you can't block Hateful Strikes, so the block value might be of no real purpose on that fight.

The other thing to consider is that I may be discounting the SBV from effective health, when I should be including it.

Prunetracy
01-13-2009, 11:58 AM
I use the tanking spreadsheet at EJ for my gear rankings. It allows you to swap between various boss profiles for different encounter styles, in addition to manually creating an encounter style to gear for.

For me, the Bolstered Legplates are a better MT piece for hard-hitting bosses, but the Inescapable Death legs are great for trash and low-damage bosses (like Loatheb, Gothik, Heigan).

Muffin Man
01-13-2009, 04:36 PM
I believe Demog's listing tells you which gems he assumes go into which slots. Either way, with an extra blue socket the extra stamina you get from Inescapable gives you a lot of EH. And depending on how he values SBV/SBR that could easily cancel out the edge in defense to Bolstered.

Basically though, there're both the same item level and quality, so you wouldn't expect too much of a difference between the two. I suspect the difference in ranking is due to Bolstered spending some of its stat budget in hit, while Inexcapable Death spends them all in survivability.

Brainwreck
01-14-2009, 12:35 PM
I believe Demog's listing tells you which gems he assumes go into which slots. Either way, with an extra blue socket the extra stamina you get from Inescapable gives you a lot of EH. And depending on how he values SBV/SBR that could easily cancel out the edge in defense to Bolstered.

Basically though, there're both the same item level and quality, so you wouldn't expect too much of a difference between the two. I suspect the difference in ranking is due to Bolstered spending some of its stat budget in hit, while Inexcapable Death spends them all in survivability.

Block value isnt exactly pure survivability.

Muffin Man
01-14-2009, 12:49 PM
I'm quite aware that SBV translates to threat. But in most tank point systems it only gets points based on the survivability it gives you.

Hence, hit gets 0 points.
SBV / SBR gets >0 points.

Illuminatii
01-14-2009, 02:28 PM
I use the tanking spreadsheet at EJ for my gear rankings.

I am on EJ quite a bit and don't remember seeing such a spreadsheet. Do you or anyone else have a link?

Brainwreck
01-14-2009, 02:51 PM
I'm quite aware that SBV translates to threat. But in most tank point systems it only gets points based on the survivability it gives you.

Hence, hit gets 0 points.
SBV / SBR gets >0 points.

Ah, i see what you're saying now.

Myzery
01-14-2009, 04:56 PM
For me, the Bolstered Legplates are a better MT piece for hard-hitting bosses, but the Inescapable Death legs are great for trash and low-damage bosses (like Loatheb, Gothik, Heigan).

This. Use both.

For heroics, trash, and weak hitters, run with Inescapable Death.

For MTing raids, or OT patchwerk, use Bolstered Legplates.

Bolstered Legplates have better alternatives but Inescapable Death Leggings will always have a home in your max SBV set.

Kalbitang
01-15-2009, 08:51 AM
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, guys. Always night to get some other perspectives and/or confirmations.

thedrawrf
01-17-2009, 09:41 PM
With 900+ block, block rating is pretty nice. Think about it: most bosses hit like asmatic kittens now, -900 from a hit makes it almost nothing. Inescapable's 2.5% extra block rating is pretty sexy, I think.

Hroth
01-19-2009, 04:30 PM
And, from my understanding, you can't block Hateful Strikes, so the block value might be of no real purpose on that fight.

I don't know where you got your information that Hateful Strikes can't be blocked, but it is wrong. They are very blockable, however, since he hits so hard, the mitigation gains from blocking are minimal. It is better to avoid a 25k hit instead of block 1k damage and get hit for 24k.