PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Heroic Malygos Phase 1 Vortexes

thoor
01-11-2009, 07:36 PM
Had a few attempts on Heroic Malygos yesterday and had lots of ppl dieing after the first vortex and subsequent arcane breath.

I have some questions about Vortexes:

1. When vortex is about to start should the MTank be running into the centre of the circle like Ciderhelm does in his videos?

2. Why does Ciderhelm run into the middle for the Vortexes?

3. Is it ok to just stay on the circle perimeter for the vortexes? ..this would make it easier to make sure ppl dont get arcane breathed upon straight after the vortex...right?

4. For your first heroic kills ....how many vortxes occured ( Vortex occurs every 60 seconds right?)

5. IS the position (relative to other ppl) you leave the vortex the same as when you enter? or does the vortex jumble everyone up??
ie. if the tank is 10 yards away from the raid when vortex begins will he be 10 yards away from them after it ends?

6. Any other tips for stopping ppl being breathed upon after a vortex? :)

Thanks for any help :)

dyls
01-11-2009, 07:41 PM
I have only ever done 10 man, so bear that in mind - but I believe they are virtually the same, except for the fact that Malygos always breathes immediately after vortex on heroic.

1. It doesn't matter, but you can continue to hit Malygos if you run towards the middle.

2. My guess - for the above reason

3. It's ok to do that. There is no advantage to doing so.

4. N/A.

5. No - everyone will always land right in the middle. They should start moving away from the center immediately upon landing - as you should - but of course, in opposite directions :)

The direction that YOU as the tank will run is determined by where the next spark is coming from (you position Malygos so that the spark crosses the center).

6. Just the above really.

Good luck!

Omok
01-11-2009, 08:18 PM
1. Do not run to the middle as Malygos puts a debuff on you that causes you to explode for arcane damage and hit everyone around you. This only happens in heroic mode.

2. The video you see of Ciderhelm is a normal Malygos I believe. If you run in you can sometimes still hit Malygos while in the air.

3. To ensure people don't get hit by a breath when Malygos is landing, they need to run in a certain direction while you go the other way. While in mid-air, I usually look to see where there is a spark. If there is a spark in the North West, the raid moves in that direction and you go South East as soon as you land. This way the raid does not get breathed on, and they are between Malygos and the spark.

4. From what I can remember, we usually have two or three vortexes.

5. Everyone lands in the exact center, but you are still facing the same direction you were while in the air.

6. See #3.

Vapes
01-12-2009, 09:50 AM
Arcane Breath causes the mentioned debuff that makes you explode, which happens in normal as well. If he does a breath right before a vortex, don't run in, (I believe it lasts 5 seconds).

I tend to intervene in to the highest threat DPS. If your DPS are worth their salt, they should be pushing hard on Malygos (and assuming you're positioning him decently so they can get 2 stacks of sparks).

I've only done 10man, so not sure how different the Vortex/Breath are, but assuming you're pulling him away from the spark and your DPS are all just returning to the very middle, shouldn't they be out of his frontal cone breath by default?

I tend to always try to have my dps right in the very center, it makes it easier to kite around them tightly so melee can get the buff, and makes it easier to drop 2 sparks on top of each other.

thoor
02-01-2009, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the replies.

We took our 2nd series of attempts on Malygos yesterday after a couple of weeks break and did a lot better getting to phase 3 a few times.

Some followup questions:

1. Is it possible to melee Malygos in the vortex if you are able to get into the very center of the platform before the vortex starts?

2. Is there a quick way to target and intervene a DPSer before a vortex starts?
Does clicking on a person's threat bar in Omen target that character?

3. Any other tricks for generating threat during vortexes? or reducing other people's threat during phase1?

Cheers

Inaara
02-01-2009, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the replies.

We took our 2nd series of attempts on Malygos yesterday after a couple of weeks break and did a lot better getting to phase 3 a few times.

Some followup questions:

1. Is it possible to melee Malygos in the vortex if you are able to get into the very center of the platform before the vortex starts?

2. Is there a quick way to target and intervene a DPSer before a vortex starts?
Does clicking on a person's threat bar in Omen target that character?

3. Any other tricks for generating threat during vortexes? or reducing other people's threat during phase1?

Cheers

Being able to melee during vortexes comes down to being lucky. It doesn't matter where you're standing when it starts, you'll get tossed up to a random location no matter what. If you're losing threat to classes with instant attacks during the vortex just have them watch the threat meter and not pass you.

Fayre
02-01-2009, 04:33 PM
If you watch your debuffs so you don't explode the raid (explained earlier) then you should have time when he goes up into the air to inspect Omen, select the highest aggro DPS, and intervene. It's actually quite a few seconds before he starts the vortex cast :)

Mookey
02-02-2009, 03:31 AM
MT on Malygos 25 when vortex starting
1) Wait arcane debuf to wears of
2) Look who's first on omen
3) click on his unit frame
4) Intervene him
5) Cast commanding shout (to help ~18k ish people survive vortex, and making sure you have full next phase CS up)
6) Face yourself towards flare (asign someone to mark it with huge mark e.g. star or square - dont use X)
//Idealy everyone faced flare - tank moving FROM flare, and everyone else TO flare
7) as soon as you land move backwards (you can taunt, altho not necesary)
8) take breath + melee swing, use SR
9) wait for heal to full
10) move malygos back to circle for tanking so everyone can come safely to mid of platform

Rinse and repeat

Menkáno
02-03-2009, 03:57 AM
some additional suggestions:
- if you have the debuff wait for explosion and intervene dps, restart aggro-styles on malygos to keep threat high
- in vortex there can be two situations: either he is in melee-range or he is not. when in melee-range normal aggro styles, when not, use thunderclap and heroic throw then shoot at him.
- you should have a mark on you so the other people can see, where you are going
- while in vortex: watch out for incoming sparks and head to the opposite direction
- you can start running while in vortex - after falling down you will run exactly in the same direction
- the raid sees where you are going to and can head to the opposite direction
- your goal should be, that all sparks are killed in the middle - so kite malygos around the middle that way, that the second spark has to run through the middle

pencil
02-05-2009, 12:44 AM
this may be a difference between 10man and 25, but I was wondering if this strategy works... we've only tried him in 10man and were pretty successful in phase 1, had problems with phase 2.

the strategy is like this: MT tanks maly facing the north. when sparks come from ne or nw, he moves him to the opposite (i.e., nw or ne), but still generally on the north side, rather than running him all around the circle. if sparks are from sw or se, mt doesn't bother with them.

like i said it worked out ok and we made it through phase 1 that way pretty much every time, had problems with phase 2. so the question is, does this strat work in 25man?

my second question is, how do you deal with the adds in phase 2? i had problems getting aggro on all of them before they 1-shot a dps or healer. my guild needs to learn how to move between safety bubbles too, but the first issue in phase 2 is my not being able to get aggro fast enough on adds. do i just need to learn where they start from? or is it random? or is there some other strategy? we tried using misdirect, still had 1 or 2 ppl oneshotted. what do you use to make sure the tank gets aggro when they pop? (btw I'm a bear).

thanks.

thoor
02-08-2009, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the tips ...some good info here...

We got our first kill yesterday which was great.

One tip i have is dont worry too much about having to move Malygos all the time.

I think there are only 3 occasions in Phase 1 where Malygos *may* need to be moved

1. For the first Spark spawn *after* Vortex 1
2. For the first Spark spawn *after* Vortex 2
3. For the first Spark spawn *after* Vortex 3

All other sparks can be ignored because a Vortex will hit before the spark reaches the platform. You can then focus 100% on generating threat the rest of the time.

dyls
02-08-2009, 07:26 PM
this may be a difference between 10man and 25, but I was wondering if this strategy works... we've only tried him in 10man and were pretty successful in phase 1, had problems with phase 2.

the strategy is like this: MT tanks maly facing the north. when sparks come from ne or nw, he moves him to the opposite (i.e., nw or ne), but still generally on the north side, rather than running him all around the circle. if sparks are from sw or se, mt doesn't bother with them.

like i said it worked out ok and we made it through phase 1 that way pretty much every time, had problems with phase 2. so the question is, does this strat work in 25man?

my second question is, how do you deal with the adds in phase 2? i had problems getting aggro on all of them before they 1-shot a dps or healer. my guild needs to learn how to move between safety bubbles too, but the first issue in phase 2 is my not being able to get aggro fast enough on adds. do i just need to learn where they start from? or is it random? or is there some other strategy? we tried using misdirect, still had 1 or 2 ppl oneshotted. what do you use to make sure the tank gets aggro when they pop? (btw I'm a bear).

thanks.

I can't really make head or tail of your spark strategy, but if it works in 10 man, it will also work in 25 man - nothing changes with sparks there (excepting, of course, if a spark does reach Maly, you will be in for more pain than on 10 man).

Phase 2 - sounds like it's either a problem with your healers, your dps and their threat, or your threat gen. The mobs that are on the ground are awkward to pick up (I have trouble telling when they have reached the ground, I think I have bad spatial awareness). So yeah - your dps needs to give you time to pick them up, there's no 2 ways about it. Your healers need to keep everyone alive - luckily, this phase is the last time they'll need any mana so make sure they're not trying to sustain the blue bar, it's fine to use it all up :) . If it's your threat gen, well, tbh you probably would have noticed it a lot more in Phase 1! So likely it's not the problem.

P.s. there are LOTS more adds in 25 man, so if you're having trouble with the 2 that you get in 10 man, you'll want to do something about that. Either make sure you have an OT (bit of a waste of DPS, unless it's a DK or something) or another feral druid who can swap to bear and help you pick them up.

Good luck!

pencil
02-10-2009, 02:21 AM
yeah threat is a real problem, especially since i can't do anything to him during the vortex... feral faerie fire spam anyone? lol.