PDA

View Full Version : Dumping Rage?

ar10
01-09-2009, 04:44 PM
I've recently started doing Heroic 5 mans and find myself in situations with excess rage most of the time. I've read people suggest using HS as a dump, but even when I spam it I'm usually still at 80%+ rage until the last mob dies. From stories I read here people are somehow dumping rage to the point where they have to watch it. My DPS is usually ~1000-1100 and I'm running the 15/5/51 build, obviously I'd like to improve my DPS where I can (I hear of ppl here doing 1200-1300 dps in heroics). So is HS the only (and best way) to dump aggro? I try to do whats suggested in my rotation to gain max threat/dmg, but hardly top 1100 unless my group is buff stacked.

Some useful information - I run with a 1.6 spd weapy, usually AOE/chain pull everything (thus the excess of rage), have the revenge/hs macro, and glyph major Dev, Rev, Block.

Skyborn
01-09-2009, 04:53 PM
Cleave is a great rage dump, and it sounds like if you work it into your rotation it would fit your play style very well.

When I see myself sitting on a full bar of rage I usually tab target around cleaving and if I'm getting caught on threat then focus on whoever I'm about to lose and SS/HS/Revenge the hell out of them, then go back to cleaving the group. At this point the group is usually dead. If I feel like I've got endless rage I just keep Heroic Strike queued 100% of the time, and work in my high rage abilities / reactive abilities when I can.

kolben
01-09-2009, 04:54 PM
There is really no reason to "dump rage" for the sake of getting rid of it. When you get above 50 rage and have more coming in, you can spend it like mad and thus do more threat/dps.

You might not have enough hit or expertise, possibly you aren't burning Heroic Strikes every Global Cooldown. For example, when I have the rage to burn I am mashing my Heroic Strike key at the same time I'm mashing my other abilities until it's time to back off (< 40 rage). This is precisely how you dump so much rage that you are empty. In all honesty, in 3+ years of playing this game that's really not every been a problem. It was a big deal when we had to spam shield block every cooldown to not have enough rage for it, now it hardly matters imo. Provided you don't seriously outgear what you are working on it can't see how it could be a problem to run low on rage because you burned it doing DPS/threat.

On multiple mobs I use Cleave more than Heroic Strike if the party is doing AOE, otherwise Heroic Strikes.

shiz98
01-09-2009, 05:13 PM
Put on a slow weapon, and rend up mobs while spamming cleave. You might do less threat, and you might do more DPS. Might is the key word - the jury is still out on what's mathematically better.

There's not really much else you can try.

I'm assuming you're using cleave instead of HS when there is more than one mob. If you're not, then try that first.