PDA

View Full Version : Expertise=Threat?

Kentharu
01-09-2009, 02:59 AM
I read somewhere (and I think it was here) that Expertise=Threat. I did some searching on armory and found that Drama tanks were indeed gemming for Expertise instead of simply gemming for Stam. Now I understand what the Expertise stat does (reduces a mobs chance to dodge or parry my attacks) and I understand why it might improve my threat output. But is it worth gemming for instead of gemming for Stam? Could someone with the theory knowledge of WHY its important to get this stat (and cap it) over getting stam, or even stacking shield block gear (since shield block=higher shield slam).

Thank you in advance :)

Khordam
01-09-2009, 04:04 AM
Expertise = less parries/dodges = more abilities and swings that hit the target = more abilities and swings which cause damage and threat = more threat. Expertise scales fully with all other threat stats bar hit, since it influences a different yet equally important side of the mechanics than, say, AP or Block Value.

Additionally, expertise contributes to damage reduction by reducing parry haste.

jere
01-09-2009, 05:20 AM
Plus honestly, at least for now you can out-Stam your content without a whole lot of effort. That may change in the future, but in order to do the current content available, you don't really need to stack it exclusively, except maybe for Malygos. He can do some ugly damage when he wants to.

Kentharu
01-09-2009, 12:39 PM
Thanks Jere and Khor, I had the same logic when thinking this through however I preferred a second opinion on it.

I have 28k hp unbuffed atm, so I suppose gemming for expertise wouldn't be to bad.

Glomgore
01-09-2009, 01:11 PM
Ken, with 26k unbuffed, I am hitting 34 raid buffed, and this is without flasks/pots, you'll be fine if you spec for imp spell reflect for Malygos.

The reason tanks are gemming for expertise is more of the simple fact that the naxx tank gear doesn't really have any. Just getting the soft cap is hogging nearly all my gem slots, with hybrid expertise/stam gems.

Kazeyonoma
01-09-2009, 03:06 PM
expertise/stam gems are your friend =]

Lightmgl
01-10-2009, 12:40 AM
Expertise is an amazing stat and every tank should be aiming to hit at least 26 in it as it is twice as effective as hit until then + it is a boost to mitigation albeit a slight one.

My gear policy is 32k unbuffed hps with all the expertise/threat as I can get on top of that. If only Malygos would drop those legs, we have seen one pair the entire expansion :/.

Spazlord
01-11-2009, 08:33 PM
WTB Legplates of Sovereignty <3

I'm fairly pleased with how much hit/exp is available on our first tier gear tbh, no complaints here.

Slobash
01-13-2009, 12:28 PM
A tanks roles are to hold aggro from a given target and prevent it from changing targets by maintaining a high amount of threat and keeping threat above your dps and to prevent as much incoming damage to yourself as possible while doing so. If you're finding that your dps is consistently out-TPSing you then definitely look at some threat gemming. But if you're having no problem holding aggro then why on earth would you continue gemming for threat? Your primary responsibility should then become survivability hence gemming for dodge/def/stam. There have been arguments in the past about expertise being a mitigation stat but on all forums i've read it's been a miniscule amount and point for point against dodge or defense it's not in the same league.

The theme i'm seeing over and over is that warriors are unhappy that paladins are able to get so much more threat so quickly in most encounters and they're all making up excuses to get expertise to try and even it up a bit. And it's not going to happen, paladin burst threat is crazy. But if your dps isn't pulling aggro then what does it matter....

TLDR: If you don't have threat issues then why gem for a threat stat? Do your healers a favour and gem for avoidance and stam ;)

Lodron
01-13-2009, 01:09 PM
If you don't have threat issues then why gem for a threat stat?

Because it's also a DPS stat. Assuming you have enough mitigation, stam, and armor to survive an encounter you should be trying to boost your dps.

greendragonempire
01-13-2009, 01:33 PM
for current content its natural to hit around 30k hp without trinekts/gems/enchants, so why not start putting our best dps=threat stat in those gem slots

def and exp are much harder to obtain with current gear than stm

Slobash
01-13-2009, 07:54 PM
Because it's also a DPS stat. Assuming you have enough mitigation, stam, and armor to survive an encounter you should be trying to boost your dps.

Or you could boost dps by gemming for avoidance and replace some healers with real dpsers....

Blueduck3285
01-13-2009, 07:57 PM
Or you could boost dps by gemming for avoidance and replace some healers with real dpsers....

OR you could keep your expert' and not parry gibb a boss into crushing your face. But wheres the fun in that?

Slobash
01-14-2009, 01:45 AM
See now i've been tanking since MC and I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times i've died from a boss parry-hasting and killing me and most of those are late in a fight when we've lost healers. The argument isn't that expertise stops you from dieing it's that it's a mitigation talent, it's generally an argument put forward by warriors who are unhappy that their dps isn't fantastic and that seem to want a reasonable excuse to gem for expertise. If they argue that really they're trying to reduce incoming damage then they don't look like epeeners whereas statistically the amount of mitigation provided by expertise is pathetic.

Personally I love the parry hasting, more rage for me please! I make all our dps stand in front of patchy for super fun times :)