PDA

View Full Version : What's the best way of getting a new account?

gyre
01-08-2009, 04:48 PM
I'm trying to create a new WoW account for one of my daughters.

Currently she only has an unopened WotLK box. However, it does say on the box it needs TBC. I suspect if I looked carefully the TBC box says it needs WoW.

Is the right approach to go and buy a WoW box and a TBC box, and use the codewords from them one at a time upgrading the account to WotLK?

Or is there a cheaper / shorter method of doing it?

I've googled around a bit, and it isn't clear what's the least hassle or cheapest (but still legitimate) route for getting her a working WotLK account.

Thanks.

-- gyre --

Niian
01-08-2009, 04:50 PM
Go to the shops (or online), buy a copy of WoW (about $20AUS now?) and a copy of BC (not sure how much they are).

Create the account online using the vanilla wow key, upgrade the account using the BC key, upgrade the account again using the Wrath key.
Win.

Kazeyonoma
01-08-2009, 04:51 PM
from what I understand this is the only way for her to play wotlk. I'd say just buy her the base WoW game first and let her play it, if she ends up taking a liking to it then buy TBC, it'd be a waste if she were to buy TBC and call it quits at level 30.

gyre
01-08-2009, 05:07 PM

She's been playing WotLK happily on her other sister's account for a while now.

Both her sister and I have gone the normal way over the last few years. WoW... TBC... WotLK.

I bought an extra WotLK copy when my version from play.com didn't arrive on the right day and thought I'd transfer her characters onto her own account to avoid both sisters fighting over who plays :)

Just thought, after all this time, that I wouldn't have to buy 3 games just to play one. Silly me :)

-- gyre --

Demianu27
01-08-2009, 05:13 PM
Buy the WoW Battlechest that includes both BC and vanilla WoW.

It's $30 for both + the extras... versus $20 for WoW and $20 for BC

TaiSHi
01-08-2009, 05:14 PM
I think the fastest way is to use Digital Upgrade :)
I do that, because boxes are quite expensive here :P

gyre
01-08-2009, 05:19 PM
Indeed.

I only really need to buy the WoW and TBC codewords. Everything else is probably on the WotLK DVD.

I can't seem to find them on the Blizzard web shop anywhere, tho.
Grrr. :)

Come back steam, all is forgiven! :)

Yup, the battlechest seems to be the current cheapest option.

-- gyre --

TaiSHi
01-08-2009, 08:54 PM
Gyre,

Try sending a 10-day invitation, then get into account management and do the upgrade.

gyre
01-08-2009, 09:33 PM
will try that. thx.

Niian
01-08-2009, 09:35 PM
From memory 10day invite you can't upgrade to TBC.

Sanelora
01-08-2009, 09:41 PM
One thing to note about buying the boxed copies is that you get the CDs/DVDs that install the games. Vanilla wow 1.8 (or whatever is sold in the shops these days) updated to 2.0 by the BC disks and similarly the WotLK CDs/DVDs patch to 3.0, leaving only post 3.0 patches to download. They are almost a must have item if you need to reinstall for whatever reason. I have limited downloads you see :p

Niian
01-08-2009, 09:46 PM
gogo iiNet Sanelora ;)
No internet usage counted for content hosted by iiNet on Gamershell.com

gyre
01-08-2009, 09:53 PM
The thing about the boxed copies is... I already own 2 full sets. It's just wasting space to have a 3rd :)

-- gyre --

TaiSHi
01-09-2009, 08:00 AM
From memory 10day invite you can't upgrade to TBC.
Trial -> Vanilla (digital upgrade) -> TBC (same) -> WOTLK (box, he owns one)

One thing to note about buying the boxed copies is that you get the CDs/DVDs that install the games. Vanilla wow 1.8 (or whatever is sold in the shops these days) updated to 2.0 by the BC disks and similarly the WotLK CDs/DVDs patch to 3.0, leaving only post 3.0 patches to download. They are almost a must have item if you need to reinstall for whatever reason. I have limited downloads you see :p

He has 2 computers, copying over LAN is far faster :P

The thing about the boxed copies is... I already own 2 full sets. It's just wasting space to have a 3rd :)

-- gyre --
And that.