PDA

View Full Version : H OK - Herald Volasj

Skyborn
01-08-2009, 11:47 AM
I've been trying to finish Heroic OK for a shot at the epic tanking bracers that drop off Herald Volasj... the problem is the insanity phase always wipes the group, no matter the composition/quality of players (and I've seen the gamut, believe me). In four separate instances with generally strong DPS and healing, we've gotten as far as the 2nd insanity before wiping.

Normally, only myself and the healer survive the insanity phase, which would be alright (maybe) but the healer comes out of the first insanity OOM so there's not much we can do to take Volasj down after that. Most of the DPS complain that they can't interrupt the healer enough to down him before he heals back to full. Is there anything I should be telling them to do?

What are your tips for downing Volasj? Wowwiki talks about equipping crappy weapons right before the insanity hits, but is that something that people actually do? It seems kind of cheesy...

Any help would be appreciated! Here's my armory in case you have any questions about whether or not I'm geared enough. (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Rexxar&n=Skyborn)

BlazeDale
01-08-2009, 12:09 PM
Unfortunately you seem to be doing things right. As a tank the insanity doesn't really bother me and I make it through just fine as well. The first time I did it was just myself and the healer surviving.

As far as your healer running oom perhaps better geared healer is in order because the healers I had run with were never oom in heroics. If the dps can't hit hard enough or incompasatate the healer enough it becomes a game of survival. But really it all about one dps getting the job done on the healer and the rest of his fellow party members and then he is able to help everyone else.

Perhaps running with a group of classes that can heal themselves would help or classes that can silence. Most classes should be able to silence/stun or blow up the healer and the rest usually follow fairly quickly.

We have done it with a druid healer and have them switch to cat form before the insanity hits. Somehow he still manages to heal in cat form :/ Maybe have some pvp spec players join for the instance. I really don't think its worth the respec as this boss is pretty easy.

You might consider whispering the healer to make sure no dps survie to the second insanity if it seems they can't get it done during the first insanity. That way when insanity comes its just you and the healer in there going at it and there is no way the healer should go oom healing himsellf through the assult of a tank and no way the healer should be able to kill you.

Then its just an indurance fight from that point of the healer being able to keep his mana up for the long battle of solely tank dps.

Its a jerk tactic I know but hey, if the dps were any good you wouldn't have to resort to it ;)

yhtomitn64
01-08-2009, 12:44 PM
You can LOS the boss when he casts insanity if you tank him near the room entrance and use the pillars. Much like you would do in Sethekk Halls for the last boss. If you are out of LOS during insanity you won't get it and you can help others with it or if everyone doesn't get it just keep fighting the boss.

Muffin Man
01-08-2009, 01:01 PM
You might consider whispering the healer to make sure no dps survie to the second insanity if it seems they can't get it done during the first insanity. That way when insanity comes its just you and the healer in there going at it and there is no way the healer should go oom healing himsellf through the assult of a tank and no way the healer should be able to kill you.

Then its just an indurance fight from that point of the healer being able to keep his mana up for the long battle of solely tank dps.

Its a jerk tactic I know but hey, if the dps were any good you wouldn't have to resort to it ;)

That's a really funny suggestion.

Fortunately, I've never had problems with dps. Maybe it's because I'm on a pvp server but they always seem to know how to handle it (fear bombing, on the fly cc / incapacitates, ducking combat until they get help =p). My problem has always been the healer getting stunlocked or just generally eating it in insanity.

One thing I did for my priest friend, was I would intervene him whenever Insanity started casting. That gave him the heads up to get ready to shield/fear and maybe that one hit I took for him helped too *shrug*.

I've noticed that the healer during insanity doesn't heal anyone else. Once I killed all the dps clones on accident while trying to kill a druid healer first (gogo damage shield, thunderclap, shockwave). So any class with aoe should be ok during insanity even if they can't kill the healer first.

If you can get dps to admit they can't handle it, you can always suggest that they just try to survive and wait for help (ie fd, chain fear, vanish, iceblock, bubble, ect).

Bigdonkee
01-08-2009, 01:18 PM
I have downed this boss several times with a limited group - including just me and the healer. The boss does not hit that hard, so if you have good gear, you can easily survive the fight and slow dps him.
Once a player is out of their own insanity phase by killing all of the clones, they can help the remaining players in their phases. Healers, or players who are having a hard time making it out, can kite their clones around the room until help arrives.
I will usually go after a caster in the group - kill them fast, then fear others away until I can take down another. Druid healers seem to be the hardest to take down for me too.

Lizana
01-08-2009, 01:32 PM
Bring a pally healer a rogue and you as tank. Rouge can kill pally without problems, you can kill pally without problems, you can kill rogue rogue can kill you. A decent pally healer should have no problems killing rouge and you with minimal mana used. Oh and make sure to spell relect the mind flay if your a warrior. I have had it crit the boss for upwards of 9k on heroic

Labguy23
01-09-2009, 06:13 PM
A few things that I do with great success. We can one shot him most times.

1) Gather before the insanity completes. This helps AoE, kiting, etc. Generally the hardest part of the phase is trying to pull players from all 4 corners of the room. The faster you down the other players, the better you can help the others through their insanity.

2) Healers must die first. If you have an interrupt, silence, anything, use it on them and kill them first. Once the healer is down, the rest of the party is pretty trivial.

3) If you don't have interrupts, silences, etc, then your job is to kite and survive.

4) Do NOT kill the last hostile copy of yourself. When only one "enemy" is left, CC or have your tank tuant him and let the copy flail helplessly at you. Then just stand around and wait for him despawn (they will eventually). You can simply just stand around, regening mana, bandaging, reading the newspaper, whatever. When the last guy despawns, it will be like starting the battle over fresh, except the boss is at 2/3 life.

Once you get that down, the fight is EZ mode.

Blueduck3285
01-09-2009, 06:36 PM
The hardest part I have had with the insanity phase is I typically run with a druid (well geared) healer and myself being a DK tank. I can NEVER kill our tree nor any of the DPS because our healer is just that freaking awesome. Most our DPS dies and its just myself and the healer.

I think for me, if we can LoS the phase, thats how I am going to do it from now on (mostly due to our tree, which I think would make a great boss fight, but thats another thread).

Fayre
01-09-2009, 08:50 PM
I may be wrong, but my understanding is that the LoS trick no longer works.

Tobius
01-10-2009, 09:55 AM
Are your healers trying to dps their adds if they are running OOM? They will use up significantly less mana if they just heal themselves and forget about dps'ing anything - the rest of you can finish their adds off at the end.

Other then that Labguy23 had some fairly sensible ideas :)

Skyborn
01-11-2009, 01:44 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone -- I appreciate it. I haven't been back in OK recently, but I'll definitely keep these pointers in mind, especially yours LabGuy.

yhtomitn64
01-12-2009, 06:31 AM
I may be wrong, but my understanding is that the LoS trick no longer works.

You're right, I just tried this and it doesn't work any longer! lol

bfillmer
01-12-2009, 11:07 AM
When Insanity is cast it duplicates the gear of the player at the moment the cast is complete. This is a huge deal as a few simple changes can make killing yourself and your party much easier.

As a DK tank I usually switch to unholy presence during his cast, then back to frost presence immediately after (might have forgotten once or twice, but don't tell anyone). Druids & War should do their equivilent, perhaps a pally could macro removing their shield & weapon quickly.

Have your DPS un-equip their weapons, or swap to something else. I've had dps put their fishing poles on their bars so they can quick swap.

Lastly, everyone has trouble with resto-druids it seems, mine shifts to humaniod form during the cast. Locking her down and killing her is pretty easy at that point.

Requires having a group that can think relatively quickly and react, but makes the Insanity phase rather trivial.

Sunderhorn
01-12-2009, 02:07 PM
Oddly enough, the easiest way to kill this boss is to 2-man it.

There are several class specific ways the tank and healer can trivialize this fight, but the most important thing is for the healer to CC/run away from the group during insanity. As someone else mentioned, a healer going oom sounds like he was trying to kill people.

Also, warriors can put on their DPS gear here [stay uncrittable] and use SR to effectively shut down his mind flay.

I run with a Priest usually, so psychic scream is basically his bread and butter during insanity...he just fears and then kites everyone around the outside of the room.

bfillmer has excellent advice/tips in his post here...and don't forget to always kill the healer first!

Bran
01-21-2009, 12:21 PM
All of my successes here have resulted form taking this boss down with less than a full group, both intentionally and unintentionally.

My first time in, after a couple failures, we agreed (at the urging of one of the group members with more experience) to let the lowest 2 DPS go in first and die (boss despawned because I didn't engage fast enough, but came back very quickly) then me, the healer, and the top DPS jumped in. It made the insanity phases a lot easier and it just took a little longer to finish him off.

The next time in was similar, except that *all* dps died during the first insanity phase. By the time that phase ended, it was me and my healer (disc priest) left facing my evil twin. I let him beat on me while priest regen'd mana and then, slowly, we took the boss down with just me for DPS.

Ridlyblade
01-21-2009, 01:09 PM
For people that run with priests in heroics, priests can mind control their adds and despawn them making them quick work (that and there's nothing funnier than hearing the priest say he's the first one done before the dps)

Durandro
01-23-2009, 03:33 AM
My Priest friend usually just chainfears her adds until I'm free to come and help her. And the fight actually becomes alot easier in the second Insanity if one or two DPS get killed.

Only issues I have is sometimes he'll reset after an Insanity. Which is quite irritating.

Skyborn
01-23-2009, 08:31 AM
So, I've discovered the secret to this fight is basically stop pugging. I ran OK twice with guildies and both runs were smooth. I got my bracers on the second run, which was very nice.

I ran with a couple DK's and during the first insanity they both popped their armies of the dead and we were out of insanity within 10 seconds.

With multiple DK's it would probably have been better to save 1 army for the 2nd phase.

Curveball
01-23-2009, 08:47 AM
In my experience this fight is tough on dpsers who lack a lot of interrupts.

Here's one tactic with a priest healer that you might consider.

We had an all melee group and a priest healer. After wiping once, I suggested this strat: When Herald began casting insanity, our priest turned tail and RAN out the door. Myself and our dpsers nuked each other down, altho the some of us had to deal with the priest running back to heal the crazies sooner than hoped for.
Meanwhile, our priest who ran out the door waited for the nutjob-psychos at the door, then feared them, and ran back into the room, counting on someone to have cleared their insanity by that time so they could help him.
This worked really well and saved our healer mana.

As I'm sure others have noted before, this fight actually gets easier if a few dpsers die. :D I've even had all the dps die on phase 1 insanity and myself and the pally healer just finished herald off ourselves, and that was the healers first ever heroic.

It's a crazy fight, no doubt, but fun if you like to think tactics.

Roton
01-28-2009, 12:49 PM
I'm a pala tank so my alter ego heals as much as the healer any idea how to kill them without me or the healer having to leave the group?