PDA

View Full Version : RL Armorcrafter?

Krumgork
01-05-2009, 10:26 AM
Hey everyone,

I'm desparately trying to find a real life armorcrafter that can make the onslaught armor. I've been shopping around and usually most armorcrafters reply that they can't do it or it'd be too much work. I'm trying to make it so I can possible be a perennial favorite at BlizzCon or use it at reniassance fairs and such. If you happen to know someone who does real armor work, please let me know so I can get the ball rolling on this.

Thanks!

Also, before I get bashed I know this probably makes me a dork or something, and it'll be expensive and heavy, and I should make it out of plastic, blah, blah. But this is what I want to do, so please just try to be helpful.

Satrina
01-05-2009, 10:42 AM
Seems you've been warned, but the level of detail you are looking for is going to put this in the range of omgwtf expensive. There's a slight logistical problem with actually attaching pauldrons as in the Onslaught stuff, but nothing that can't be got around.

Off the top of my head, Eric Dubé (http://www.armuredube.com/), Robert MacPherson (Robert MacPherson, Armourer (http://www.lightlink.com/armory/armory.html)), and Stanislav Prosek (http://www.mac-armour.cz/index_en.htm) are all skilled enough to do it. You might get lucky on the Armour Archive list of armourers as well (Armour Archive -- Online Armoury Links (http://www.armourarchive.org/links/armouries.shtml))

If you're really hardcore about it, you could grab a copy of Brian Price's book (Amazon.com: Techniques of Medieval Armour Reproduction: The 14th Century: Brian R. Price: Books) and learn to make it yourself. It's not easy to learn, and it's not a quick process, but there is definitely something about wearing armour that you made yourself =)

Kazeyonoma
01-05-2009, 11:08 AM
Thanks for moving it Satrina, I was debating moving it but figured he'd get more hits if it stayed in General Discussion and I'm interested if he can get this made cuz that'd be awesome =]

Krumgork
01-05-2009, 11:31 AM
Wow! Thanks for the help! I'm gonna hit these guys up asap. I priced plate armor about a week ago and off-the-shelf plate pauldrons are about $600. I'm guessing that custom made onslaught pauldrons are gonna be pushing $2000. I'm fully expecting to spend $omgwtf on this armor, so that's okay. Just wait until I ask him to make me the brutalizer and bulwark of azzinoth. :)

I'm going to buy it part-by-part, so dropping $10k - $15k on a suit of armor won't seem like that much when you buy it over two or three years.

Afterall, people spend $6k - $7 on upgrading Jeeps and such. This is MY hobby. Why not make a "show car" to show it off?

The ultimate in geekdom! :)

Kazeyonoma
01-05-2009, 11:33 AM
to each their own right? ;]

Satrina
01-05-2009, 11:40 AM
You definitely have the right ballpark for numbers in your head at least =)

You might need to find an actual weapon crafter if you want a Brutalizer - it's a different kind of work than armoursmithng. If you know someone with access to a CNC machine, you may be able to get the bulk of the axe done relatively cheaply as 6 or 7 machined parts that assemble together for the haft and blade assembly, and then one hammered sheet steel part for the kuckle guard.

Feet may be a bit of a problem, since the steel mukluk that is so popular in WoW is straight up absurd. Maybe just go with a basic historical sabaton (which you can wear over leather boots or even running shoes!)

Klimpen
01-05-2009, 03:59 PM
Klimpen requires irl screenshots.

Krumgork
01-05-2009, 06:21 PM
What is an "irl screenshot"? Is that like a digital picture of my computer screen showing T6? :)

I haven't made or even ordered the armor yet. When I do, I promise I'll let the community know.

Klimpen
01-05-2009, 06:26 PM
I know.

Klimpen merely requires irl screenshots when stuff has been made. :)

Krumgork
01-22-2009, 06:42 PM
Great news! It took me this long, but I finally found an armorcrafter in Calgary that's willing to do it. Apparently, he did the armor for the new Underworld movie! That's awesome. It's costing me $250 for plans for the armor and then the total for a real-life version of warrior T6 with the Brutalizer and the Bulwark of Azzinoth is going to run me about $8000. Woot!

Kazeyonoma
01-23-2009, 09:50 AM
Awesome man, when you get a chance take some pictures or even a "in process" if you can get the crafter to let you watch. That'd be amazing! ;D